Leveling Up At ECT

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Hi Everyone, Sly Bass here. I wanted to create a thread to illustrate how ECT helped me, and the others who participated in this offline event, level up.

At these events, I seek out matches with each and every player that I can prior to the tournament. I get to understand my opponents, and at the same time, point out mistakes that were made (on both sides) in hopes to improve both our chances. I also got to sit down with TeeKay and talk Brad Wong. We exchanged tech and combos, and when he gets a PS4, I gained a training partner. Leveling up as a team is always more efficient because you push each other to find new things. This man was so excited, that he commuted over four hours each day to attend the tournament. I'm kind of rambling right now, but I'm just trying to create a road map of how these things can pan out.

So how did my Akira level up? Allow me to count the ways:
1. Playing against Kwiggle in offline matches is probably the most infuriating yet rewarding experience you'll ever have. Infuriating because you'll take your lumps. Rewarding because your flaws are amplified and so apparent, that you can't help but improve on them. So what did I improve? Fuzzy guarding on wake up. This is a technique that I've always heard about, but never truly implemented into my game until this past weekend. Fuzzy guarding is using the input :3::3::h:. This puts your character into a crouching state immediately and then pops you back up into a standing position. This animation does something special. In simple terms, it makes the game decide the right defensive option for you at the time. It will cause throws to whiff and strikes to be blocked, regardless if the strike is low or high, it will block both options. @Jaeger put this technique on display in our match for loser finals. He caught me about 5 times with it. Fuzzied my grab and grabbed me back immediately.
2. My response to poke pressure increased. Most fighters, when they get poked out of their offense, they lock up.
3. Spacing
4. I got to try some new hardware for a fight stick, that I've ordered parts for to mod my stick even more to my liking. I'm replacing the ball top on my arcade stick to a bat top. It agrees more with my grip, and I get more precise :3::3: inputs on P2 side.

So, yeah. These are my take aways from the weekend. Each tournament I attend, I gain more knowledge. If this old dog can learn new tricks, you can too.

I'll catch you all at the next tournament.

-Sly

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD