Like DoA5 so far? Discuss.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Hell yeah I'm lovin' this game. New Christie, new options, new reasons to fap all night. Sounds like a winner to me.

Oh, and fuck the FGC-- I mean, stream monsters.

Chaos

12 hours of DOA5.....damn, I think I have a serious problem. LOL the game is so addictive. I've must had caught the DOA5 symptom. XD

Xernuht

Am I missing something? How do you give SC4/5 props for defensiveness when it doesn't have holds and say that DOA5 is too offensive when it has holds?

I think what Solid_Altair was saying was that he would like DOA to have just guards, guard impacts, guard breaks, unblockable attacks, AND holds.

I could be wrong...

akhi216

Standard Donor
Xernuht said:
I think what Solid_Altair was saying was that he would like DOA to have just guards, guard impacts, guard breaks, unblockable attacks, AND holds.

I could be wrong...

DOA5 has guards, guard breaks, and some characters have unblockable attacks in addition to a vast assortment of untechable throws. Guard impacts wouldn't apply hence there are no weapons to be used but granted, some characters have parries.

As far as I can see Solid_Altair is just very fond of SC.

Am I missing something? How do you give SC4/5 props for defensiveness when it doesn't have holds and say that DOA5 is too offensive when it has holds?
Thank you for asking this. I should have clarified, earlier.

By a defensive situation I mean neither character being able to damage the other in a relatively long time. I attack, you defend, you attack I defend.

In this case, the Holds wouldn't be really a defensive feature. You hit me, I hold your next attack and smash you to the floor. You damage me, I damage you.

In SC4 there were Guard Impacts (GI), which had a similar function to Holds. But if I GI you, you still have a chance to GI back (kinda like Critical Stuns in DOA5, can't guard, but can hold). There might be some serious GI battles with no damage being done. A more defensive version of Holds (which lead straight to damage, with few exceptions).

I could be wrong...
DOA5 has guards, guard breaks, and some characters have unblockable attacks in addition to a vast assortment of untechable throws. Guard impacts wouldn't apply hence there are no weapons to be used but granted, some characters have parries.

As far as I can see Solid_Altair is just very fond of SC.
I'd like it to have fewer, shorter and weaker strings. Maybe this change would end up require other changes as well, to balance things out. But it's pretty much weaker strings that would make me happier with the franchise.

I wanted them to nerf the Holds and they did. So I'm already very happy.

akhi216

Standard Donor
Solid_Altair said:
I'd like it to have fewer, shorter and weaker strings. Maybe this change would end up require other changes as well, to balance things out. But it's pretty much weaker strings that would make me happier with the franchise.
In the past DOA had fewer, shorter, and weaker strings. The evolution of DOA gave rise to more, longer, and "stronger" strings to make for more interesting matches and funner gameplay. It's about making the best of your fighter's tools to come away with the W, most people who bought DOA5 find that very fun.

Solid_Altair said:
I wanted them to nerf the Holds and they did. So I'm already very happy.

I can't tell that they nerfed holds as I main Lisa and I can generally deal as much damage as take (or more) when them when I use them out of stun, her hold rating is 4/5 so that may have something to do with it (it seems like a 5/5 to me).

Don't take this the wrong way but it seems that you are heavily biased toward SC at DOA. I could take you more seriously if you compared DOA to Tekken hence SC uses weapons and Tekken doesn't. You're basically saying that DOA5 is good, but it's not SC. DOA5 isn't even trying to be SC.

AngryWorm

Not really. I figured I wouldn't, and the games terrible story and netcode didn't do much to win me back.

akhi216

Standard Donor
AngryWorm said:
Not really. I figured I wouldn't, and the games terrible story and netcode didn't do much to win me back.

DOA never had a good story so you should've known what to expect there...no fighting game has a good story for that matter, unless you count MK's Hollywood blockbuster movie satire. I agree on the netcode though.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
DOA never had a good story so you should've known what to expect there...no fighting game has a good story for that matter, unless you count MK's Hollywood blockbuster movie satire.
Rival Schools says hi.

BierKlauMeister

Game is solid, the netcode is unacceptable and HORRIBLY BAD... heres hoping TN doesnt give in to all the whiny scrubs and fucks the game up nerfing everything

In the past DOA had fewer, shorter, and weaker strings. The evolution of DOA gave rise to more, longer, and "stronger" strings to make for more interesting matches and funner gameplay. It's about making the best of your fighter's tools to come away with the W, most people who bought DOA5 find that very fun.
Yes. Tekken also boosts the strings in its evolution. SC seems to be the only franchise that lets the nerf bat fly free. And even today, many SC players still think SC2 was the best, because the nerf bat started to hit hard in SC3.

Nerfing Strings and the move list in general is extremely unpopular. And I think SC Devs are very aware of it. Still, they do it. And I think they do it because they know that in the end, it's going to increase the overall complexity... as counterintuitive as this may sound.

I can't tell that they nerfed holds as I main Lisa and I can generally deal as much damage as take (or more) when them when I use them out of stun, her hold rating is 4/5 so that may have something to do with it (it seems like a 5/5 to me).
I guess it has to do with her hold rating. But I'm also comparing DOA5 to DOA2U. I don't know how the Holds were in DOA4, I just know they are weaker/harder than in DOA2U. The specific Hold for Mid Kicks was a considerable Nerf, I think.

Don't take this the wrong way but it seems that you are heavily biased toward SC at DOA. I could take you more seriously if you compared DOA to Tekken hence SC uses weapons and Tekken doesn't. You're basically saying that DOA5 is good, but it's not SC. DOA5 isn't even trying to be SC.
I think DOA steamrolls Tekken. I think Tekken looks horrible! And it also lacks a decent combo mechanic, so it 'overuses' launchers and juggling (which look the worst among fighting games) and pretty much every combo looks the same, besides being ugly.

I agree that the weapons are an important aspect that differentiates DOA from SC. Because of the (lack of) weapons, I wouldn't expect DOA to have strings as weak as SC's, neither range as complex as in SC. But it could still have weaker strings and more complex spacing than it currently has.

I don't actually expect these changes to happen, though. Even if utopicaly they did, they wouldn't be a patch thing; but a new installment(s) thing.

Cricket

Gameplay-wise:
Solid improvements from DoA4 overall. I like the new movement options, but I could do without the whole cliffhanger thing.

Presentation/aesthetics-wise:
The series seems to have formed a bit of an identity crisis. On the one hand you have the "I'm a (sweaty, filthy, serious… grrr) Fighter" of new DoA, mashed-up with the crazy, bouncy, ninjas-and-myriad-other-anachronisms cheesiness of classic DoA. The resulting flavor is a bit... off, in my opinion.

Overall I'm liking it, though. I'm interested to see where the series may go in the future, even if I'm not crazy about a few of the changes.

ahpo zen

Overall I'm really enjoying the game. I started playing DOA around the third game and have played them all at this point but this is by far my favorite. The controls feel tighter and i like how they made the counters less damaging. This game definitely feels like one of the most well balanced fighting games ive played. My favorite just ahead of tekken.

Chaos

DOA never had a good story so you should've known what to expect there...no fighting game has a good story for that matter, unless you count MK's Hollywood blockbuster movie satire. I agree on the netcode though.
Tekken 4 & DOA3 had a good story IMO.

Fastlane

Well this was my first DOA game and it has not disappointed. I had my doubts about picking it up brand new for full price after being let down by SCV but as soon as I booted up the game all of that went away. The graphics are amazing, the move lists are great and the characters are awesome. Iv never played a fighting game were Iv wanted to learn to so many of the characters till this.

It also has this badass feeling to it. Just the other day I walk in my dorm room and my roommate is on my Xbox in training mode with Ayana, with his laptop open watching a combo video lol. Before I bought DOA he wouldn't touch a game unless is was COD, madden or NBA 2K.

Darrell

It's weird. I feel like this topic actually applies to two different games. Online feels absolutely nothing like offline. For me offline vs mode on hardest difficulty is the most enjoyment I've even had from a fighting game. Online just feels like I'm playing keep away.

akhi216

Standard Donor
Chaos said:
Tekken 4 & DOA3 had a good story IMO.

I disagree. Tekken 4's story (or lack thereof) was all about the Mishimas. DOA3's story was nonsensical, DOAD made more sense but that isn't saying a lot.

Ace Flibble

I'm loving DOA5 so far. The only thing I don't like is the peripheral stuff to do with how it's marketed and the fanservice. I was really excited when it was first announced and they were all "I'm a FIGHTER! Yeah, we're taking this seriously, we're not exploiting anything", but now the game's out it's easy to see that was pure BS. The creepy animations the female characters have when they lose, some of the story scenes, needless to say all the bikini stuff and then there's those new mousepads they're putting out with sticking-out boobs... it's just, eurgh.

No game has ever made me facepalm so much. On the other hand, no game has ever been this fun either. Even when I get my arse totally handed to me, I'm having fun. I'm not sure why or how, I just know that half an hour ago a Helena player absolutely slaughtered me with a Greatest and it was beautiful.

So, I still wish Tecmo and Team Ninja would grow the fuck up and stop being so sexist and exclusionary. But as far as the game goes on its own merits, I really don't think there's much I would change. Maybe bring items back to Survival mode. Drop Alpha-152 from being playable. Smooth out the VF characters so they're not quite so jarringly out of place when they show up. Otherwise, 's all good.

CrimsonCJ

Rival Schools says hi.

P4A wasn't too shabby either.

That said, most stories in a fighting game are bad. The best are probably mediocre on their own merits. DOA's story has always been exceptionally bad, and whatever attempt to repair that in DOA5 didn't really work. Honestly, the characters are offensive in their stupidity. And they are often at best tangentially connected to each other.

However, the actual game itself has a whole lot going for it. The game feels like it has moved forward in important and worthwhile ways, and some of the fights really do feel like great cinematic martial arts bouts in the best way possible. There is a lot to enjoy here even if I'm not going to say everything about it is beyond reproach.

Presentation/aesthetics-wise:
The series seems to have formed a bit of an identity crisis. On the one hand you have the "I'm a (sweaty, filthy, serious… grrr) Fighter" of new DoA, mashed-up with the crazy, bouncy, ninjas-and-myriad-other-anachronisms cheesiness of classic DoA. The resulting flavor is a bit... off, in my opinion.

I really hope it continues in favor of the former. The latter often have elements that are simply off putting and annoying, and some of the game characters feel constrained by their early DOA designs in the worst way. The grittier elements do suit some of the other characters quite well, though. If the series were to actually transform in that direction, it would make for something potentially quite unique, because even as there are serious fighters (as if, it's video games!) there are none I can think of that capture that almost movie-like nature of a good DOA fight.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD