Lopedo's GVN SJ6 Interview

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Just to be clear, I wasn't aggressive in my questioning. I was just trying to find out more about your feedback and reasoning.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
However neutral throw breaks seem harder. The ai will break counter and hi-counter throw but I can't even if buffering it.

lopedo

Oh yeah? I tried breaking them a few times during my casual matches and it seemed about the same to me. Also before the final hit of the finals match, Rabies managed to break my throw.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Well as its set up now, characters like Tina still have disadvantage on her throw breaks (CURRENTLY, this has changed a few times)... a scary amount of disadvantage in fact. The ONLY way you can balance that out is by giving her the ability to land it guaranteed if her timing is perfect. And if she screws up, she pays for it.

With Bayman, its different. His offensive holds have some major startup involved, and lots of people can simply react and avoid it when they are in that situation. Because his startup is so much slower and he risks getting ducked and then high-counter thrown unlike every other grappler in the game, he needs more advantages from it.

So he gets advantage on break, as well as the attacker bonus. Additional payout for being a slow ass.

Personally I like getting the first two parts of the DDT and letting my opponent escape the last in a lot of cases. Tons of people panic after a throw break and try to just mash their fastest jab. Of course this lets me get the quick interrupt on them and go for potentially even more damage once the stun game starts up again.

I tend to think that kind of tool is fair. If a grappler gets you in any kind of a throw/OH, you need to be in substantially more trouble than if someone like brad or hayate did it. This is one way to ensure that.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
That isn't the case for Bass and Tina. For each of their combo throws that are breakable, Bass is -10 and Tina is either -5 or -7 (I forget exactly about her). For them they HAVE to practice their timing of the combo throw because they are severely disadvantaged for getting it broken AND they played a huge risk in going for the throw to begin with. It's the sole reason Kasumi, Rig, and Jann Lee are currently Bass' worst match ups because he needs that pick-up and a stun for the pressure advantage but those three generally don't bother learning to block because they have no attack to fear from Bass.

This is one problem I had during our testing session. I was against a Kasumi and Jann Lee player and every time I had someone break out of Kitchen Sink, I was under the impression that I was at an advantage. Every time I threw something out, like P+K or 3K, I got hit by a counter blow.

So apparently the only character who actually gets frame advantage is Bayman because he has start-up on his chain grabs.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
He was also the only grappler at the time with breakable combo throws when that news came out.

lopedo

Let's brainstorm. Say a character has you in a combo throw. Go back to the DOA 1-4 style of breaking it. Same situation, but it is a high counter throw. So the first part is obviously guaranteed since you got caught with it, the second part can be a "just break" as it is now, and the third part can be the old style. That way, 1, in most instances 2, and sometimes 3. Since the attacker will sometimes not finish the third part due to escapes, give them a certain amount of frame advantage even on break and call it a day.

Just an idea.

lopedo

I might be crazy then. So we'll agree to disagree and say that it feels different to me, but not so much to you.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Well as its set up now, characters like Tina still have disadvantage on her throw breaks (CURRENTLY, this has changed a few times)... a scary amount of disadvantage in fact. The ONLY way you can balance that out is by giving her the ability to land it guaranteed if her timing is perfect. And if she screws up, she pays for it.
-Ugh I noticed this right away. Anytime my tackle into giant swing is broken, I had enough frame advantage in DOA 2-4 to safely follow up with :6::P:. Now I have to go on the defensive immediately.

With Bayman, its different. His offensive holds have some major startup involved, and lots of people can simply react and avoid it when they are in that situation. Because his startup is so much slower and he risks getting ducked and then high-counter thrown unlike every other grappler in the game, he needs more advantages from it.

So he gets advantage on break, as well as the attacker bonus. Additional payout for being a slow ass.

Personally I like getting the first two parts of the DDT and letting my opponent escape the last in a lot of cases. Tons of people panic after a throw break and try to just mash their fastest jab. Of course this lets me get the quick interrupt on them and go for potentially even more damage once the stun game starts up again.

I tend to think that kind of tool is fair. If a grappler gets you in any kind of a throw/OH, you need to be in substantially more trouble than if someone like brad or hayate did it. This is one way to ensure that.
-I agree, there have to be an incentive for being a grappler.
-Lopedo, throw breaks feel pretty much the same. Maybe it feels different from you since you was playing offline, where buffering and timing can be more precise.

PhoenixVFIRE

-Lopedo, throw breaks feel pretty much the same. Maybe it feels different from you since you was playing offline, where buffering and timing can be more precise.
I definitely feel like I'm playing a different game offline sometimes. It's weird, because I never have any of these "weird" things happen to me online. The combo throw timer is way different and it's a take a bit to adjust for me. I always notice that I feel like my character will randomly STOP sometimes, I have to seriously input harder almost when fighting against the computer offline(which I rarely do). Even the "Get Ready Fight" timer is different for me, it's like unless I'm mashing what I want to do before hand my character won't read and just stand there like an idiot.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
That is very weird. Maybe there is something wrong with your controller, or you are having some lag with your tv. I have never experienced any of the problems you listed.

PhoenixVFIRE

That is very weird. Maybe there is something wrong with your controller, or you are having some lag with your tv. I have never experienced any of the problems you listed.
For example, I decided to play Team Battle just a little bit ago, and I was experiencing tons of weird things that never happen online. Somehow, while wanting to spin away with Ayane using 11 and maybe do a kick, I somehow got the input of 236K. When the computer tag it's next character in I wanted to do 6P2K with Kasumi and I end up getting 2K. All sorts of wonky wrong inputs happen offline for me. I will admit my controller is less than stellar, but the problem is that this happens whether the controller is good or not :/

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD