Low holds should not beat standing throws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TakedaZX

My point is it should do what it does. Period.

I want that chance to be something more guaranteed.
You want something more guaranteed. Well standing throws shouldn't be it. If you'd listen, the fastest standing throw you'd get is a i5, or i7, (maybe i4 for grapplers, I think i've heard of that). Guess what? 2T, and 1T are i5, and i7. Guess what else. That's the same as your standing throw(that's breakable), and your other i7 that's unbreakable. A special sit down stun is unnecessary. You know what a sit down stun means right? Guaranteed launcher. You know what that means for Hitomi? Free P+KPP. Can you live with that? God I wouldn't. That is way too big of a want from you man.

Bigger damage from a low throw IS itself realistic. More recovery frames, is realistic. You've fought for the standing throws but if you're just gunna dodge off from that, fine. Remember that the topic name is "low holds should not beat standing throws". Well here's your answer. Discussion closed.

Now were ready to move on to recovery frames. What's the recovery on a standing holds and low holds?

DR2K

-So you the offender is going to make arbitrary mixups, that will never condition the opponent for the sake of having non beneficial options? You the offender is not going to use the best tools available(mid attacks), that cover all hold ranges while limiting your opponents options?

-Yes! Only failed low holds get counter strike damage/ higher launch when a mid connects.

The defender gets to use the most generous defense system in all of fighters. Mixing up with mids could work, but at the same time I might need to mix it up with a high or low, unfortunately the defender has an option that beats out both.

Good to know. I assumed all did.

DR2K

You want something more guaranteed. Well standing throws shouldn't be it. If you'd listen, the fastest standing throw you'd get is a i5, or i7, (maybe i4 for grapplers, I think i've heard of that). Guess what? 2T, and 1T are i5, and i7. Guess what else. That's the same as your standing throw(that's breakable), and your other i7 that's unbreakable. A special sit down stun is unnecessary. You know what a sit down stun means right? Guaranteed launcher. You know what that means for Hitomi? Free P+KPP. Can you live with that? God I wouldn't. That is way too big of a want from you man.

Bigger damage from a low throw IS itself realistic. More recovery frames, is realistic. You've fought for the standing throws but if you're just gunna dodge off from that, fine. Remember that the topic name is "low holds should not beat standing throws". Well here's your answer. Discussion closed.

Now were ready to move on to recovery frames. What's the recovery on a standing holds and low holds?

I'd love a special sit down stun to punish the defender for bad defense, yes absolutely. The more damage the better.

According to the guide it's exactly the same across the board.

blackgenma

-So you the offender is going to make arbitrary mixups, that will never condition the opponent for the sake of having non beneficial options? You the offender is not going to use the best tools available(mid attacks), that cover all hold ranges while limiting your opponents options?

-Yes! Only failed low holds get counter strike damage/ higher launch when a mid connects.

I do like how low holds are punished more severely than other holds. It shows the developers were aware of its enhanced evasive properties. The issue with the additional guessing required still remains, this isn't mitigated with the increased risk/reward ratio. Lots of yomi required after you already landed that hit, and I believe this was the major complaint about 4, among other issues.

Then again, maybe that's what doa fans want. The concept of countering in hit stun is a bit ridiculous to me and I would prefer it would be more limited, a direction the staff was taking during earlier builds. Slow recovering sounds especially stupid to me. Was that in earlier games?

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
The defender gets to use the most generous defense system in all of fighters. Mixing up with mids could work, but at the same time I might need to mix it up with a high or low, unfortunately the defender has an option that beats out both.

Good to know. I assumed all did.
-What will you gain by mixing between a high and low? You will get no additional benefit. Mid attacks shut down both high and low hold attempts, provide conditioning and will allow for the effective use of a throw.

I do like how low holds are punished more severely than other holds. It shows the developers were aware of its enhanced evasive properties. The issue with the additional guessing required still remains, this isn't mitigated with the increased risk/reward ratio. Lots of yomi required after you already landed that hit, and I believe this was the major complaint about 4, among other issues.
-In any fighting game, you are looking for the best options in any given scenario. Using Mid attacks remove this additional guessing for the offensive player, and places it upon the defensive player. It is the defender that will have to now guess between a mid kick, mid punch, and standing throw. More punishment is placed against the defending opponent if he choose to do a low hold. This is a win/win situation for the offence.

TakedaZX

I'd love a special sit down stun to punish the defender for bad defense, yes absolutely. The more damage the better.

According to the guide it's exactly the same across the board.
I know you would, but honestly low holds are already deep in the danger zone as you've heard over and over from us. I do like the idea of more recovery frames. Infact on top of that, I'd like to have someone test and find out how many frames of advantage or disadvantage the person who holds out of a stun is at. I know it's move dependent but if anyone can do it, let me know.

Nice scenario would be, maybe...

I'm Hitomi. I like to 66PP into 6PPP then CB(bad combo, don't do it HM, MHM). Say the person knows I like to 6PP6P (which is MHH)so that they'll take extra damage when they try to mid hold the last hit. So, in response, they low hold to dodge the last hit. Lets find out how much advantage that person is at. We can switch 6PP6P up with P6PP(HHH), and 3KPK. I know I don't do these often, but it's a nice test.

[Edit - Tested](advantage and disadvantage is for the defender)
3KPK - +3 , granted it's a pretty long move though
P6PP - Best I can get is -5, but if you low hold he second hit of the combo, you get +8, if they do the full string
6PP6P - +7.

Know what's funny about 66PP, 6PP6P?
If you shake the stun on 66PP, you can block the first punch of 6PP6P and get +63 for either a 2p, for +9, or 1p for +13. I think low guarding wins this situation, or regular guarding really, you can duck it out if you'd like, and on those last recovery frames throw out a standing string like PPP.

Know what else is funny? You don't gotta wait on the last punch. If you duck the second hit, you can interrupt the last with a simple p or anything really. It's about atleast 20 frames worth of advantage when you duck it. That means 236 for 60 damage, and if you're gutsy, 236k for even more. This stuff is gold.

The developers worked hard on that shit and usually people don't even utilize it. Do you realize what you can do with +13 with Hitomi? 6k mixups or a guaranteed 35 damage off of a 46p. These are the things you gotta be looking at. Yea they can get a -9, or a +3, even a +8 if the luckily end up holding at a hh end of a string that's relatively low recovery. But the big advantage comes from playing hard. 63 frames to jack around man.

More Recovery Frames on low holds? Yea, I think so. But not too many. 3KPK makes sense as being +3, it tracks, and it has a nice stumble away stun, that guarantees some nice follow ups, including 66kkp which means a free P+KPP. Besides, it can't be punished anyway, +3 is only a frame trap so the person can't really retaliate without taking a risk, but they can guard, and they can duck a throw if they see it coming.

DR2K

-What will you gain by mixing between a high and low? You will get no additional benefit. Mid attacks shut down both high and low hold attempts, provide conditioning and will allow for the effective use of a throw.

Not getting held is a pretty big benefit to me.

TakedaZX

Not getting held is a pretty big benefit to me.
Well you do get a more violent stun for risking a mid... if you even wanna call it that. There's so much we could talk about here. But I'm done. Low holds are fine. They need more recovery... and I personally wouldn't mind a few more points the grab damage counter, but I'm not going to push for that for one reason... I enjoy the game now, how it is. I mean if they want to, fine. But I'm not interested in breaking the system even though pushing the damage by about 4 or 5 points wouldn't matter that much in the long run.

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
Although I don't mind the holds as they are in 5 I to don't mind if they added a bit more recovery frames to low holds. Other than that they are fine.

DR2K

Someone go to training mode and look at that health bar get chunked from a hi counter low grab. It's beautiful aint it?

Would be more beautiful if the attacker didn't have to completely stop his offense and guess.

TakedaZX

Would be more beautiful if the attacker didn't have to completely stop his offense and guess.
You've gotta stop your offense to standing throw right? Yet you want standing throws to grab low holders? So tell me what happens to low holds when low grabs come into play? Does this mean that they'll only work on low guarding people? Or will both heights grab it? What would be the point of a low grab then? 236TT is a very damaging throw. I'll be damned if someone punishes my low hold with a 84 damage throw. Fuck that shit.

blackgenma

-In any fighting game, you are looking for the best options in any given scenario. Using Mid attacks remove this additional guessing for the offensive player, and places it upon the defensive player. It is the defender that will have to now guess between a mid kick, mid punch, and standing throw. More punishment is placed against the defending opponent if he choose to do a low hold. This is a win/win situation for the offence.

I am...confused at what your getting at. mid attacks do not eliminate the guessing game, you still get countered by the opponent in critical stun if they correctly predict your mid kick, mid punch, or low attack. The mix up on the offensive player is still there, its still Rock Paper Scissors; only the advantage is leaning towards the offensive player (which is, of coarse, good), since they have more options than the opponent, as you already established, .

don't get me wrong though, I don't have a major issue with how the game handles the hold system. it irks me slightly, but I can't mash hold all day and get away with it, and its a blast punishing those who try to.

Stop guessing.

you seem to be tripping over semantics. by "stop guessing" you mean accurately predict what the opponent will do when he's in critical stun, right? reading the opponent/playing yomi. its not far off to equate that to guessing. since it is not possible to literally know what your opponent is going to do, both players are playing a guessing game when critical stun holds come into play.

this is a little basic but: Say I've done a combo once already and you've recognized me do it before, and say it commonly puts you into critical stun. when your put into critical stun, you correctly counter it because it has become predictable. so of coarse I recognize this and bait the hold and retaliate next time I land it. outside of situations where holds are impossible in hit stun, whenever a player can hold in hitstun, both players will effectively have to make, at best, educated guesses. they are still guessing. predictions are basically smart guessing. there's no effective way NOT to guess (since prediction/educated guessing is still guessing), that's how the system operates.

saying "stop guessing" doesn't address DR2K's primary complaint with holds.

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
saying "stop guessing" doesn't address DR2K's primary complaint with holds.

I know what his complaints are and I addressed all of them. I'm just tired of doing so. The hold system is not unbalanced therefore it doesn't 'need" changes. Sure they can add frames to recovery and such without breaking the system(too many would), but if its not broken don't fix it. No reason to complain about something that isn't broken. It doesn't NEED changes.

DR2K

You've gotta stop your offense to standing throw right?

Nope.

Yet you want standing throws to grab low holders?

Yes.

So tell me what happens to low holds when low grabs come into play? Does this mean that they'll only work on low guarding people?

Unsafe lows, low guards, and would still be used on low holds.

Or will both heights grab it? What would be the point of a low grab then? 236TT is a very damaging throw. I'll be damned if someone punishes my low hold with a 84 damage throw. Fuck that shit.

Well just predict/guess right and it isn't an issue. Right?

Lightning

If you agree with tc you are a moron, plain and simple. Now that there is nerfed recovery, You are holding low because you are afraid of gambling betweenhigh attck or a throw especially against characters who have both of those as their best moves, so in a sense you are sacrificing your possible damage. And If you are blindly throwing all highs then you are a f idiot, obviously I would rather just low hold and interrupt, than having to take a risk of attacker stopping in themiddle of it and throwing me.

End of discussion.

DR2K

If you agree with tc you are a moron, plain and simple. Now that there is nerfed recovery, You are holding low because you are afraid of gambling betweenhigh attck or a throw especially against characters who have both of those as their best moves, so in a sense you are sacrificing your possible damage. And If you are blindly throwing all highs then you are a f idiot, obviously I would rather just low hold and interrupt, than having to take a risk of attacker stopping in themiddle of it and throwing me.

End of discussion.

Well since you laid down the law with your insightful facts we might as well. I'd actually give your post a respectful response, but honest to god I don't understand what you're saying.

TakedaZX

The answer is yes. Everytime you wait to standing throw the opponent, it's no different than waiting and low throwing the opponent, except you pick a different grab, just like you pick forward grab for a standing throw(cause I hope you're not trying to punish with a low damage neutral throw that probably is gunna get broken by a good player anyway, or a masher)

The answer is no. Standing throws will never be the option because as we've told you, that'd make low grabs obsolete. They're worth more damage for a reason. Why? Because as we've told you, "for guessing right", you get the advantage of more damage off of a throw specifically made to punish people who crouch or tech crouch, and Hi Counter damage off of a predicted low hold.

Inb4 you stay HiCounter Low throws stay Hi Counter, guess what. They become obsolete then, just cool animations that are worth less damage than you going for a double input grab(33H+P), or a circular input grab(236H+P), which in some cases are launchers for characters which means probably a ridiculous 100 damage combo. That's unnecessary, especially for a low hold.

Unsafe lows, low guards, and would still be used on low holds.
1. Not all unsafe low's are tech crouch, Hitomi's 2H+K leaves her standing, though there might be some push back.
2. Low guards don't call for HiCounter
3. Refer to my inb4. Obsolete Damage. Obsolete Necessity.

Well just predict/guess right and it isn't an issue. Right?
You're missing the point. By adding standing throws to the mix-up game, you're completely pushing the defender lower in the hole that they're already in, which isn't necessary when the balance has already been achieved in damage for punishing someone for them guessing on the fact that you might do a low or high.

DOA has always been unique in it's way of having a rock paper scissor type system, and when you play around with that stun game, and make it to a launcher or critical burst, you get rewarded with a higher launch and the possibility of a power blow now. It's all predictions, but what you want is for it to be so easy that you don't have to predict on any hold, and basically make it to where there's no reason to hold at all, unless you completely know a string that's coming... which pretty much is the case right now in this game. You might get a lucky hold on a random move, but more or less... you're generally going to have a hard time and be giving up a lot of counter damage because you're simply throwing out holds instead of trying to hold at the right time.

Anyway, the fact that you're attempting a grab is a prediction in itself. You think the person is going to hold or do nothing, so you grab. If they don't hold maybe you've delayed it enough to the point that it will impact just on the frame when they come out of the stun to standing. If they do hold, HiCounter damage. A well thought out prediction. I mean I'm hoping you're making well thought out predictions in this game. I'll agree to your argument that waiting for a hold to react is still a bit of a guess in itself because you're sacrificing your advantage for a for sure look at what's going to happen next. No matter what though, you will be having to guess. You'll have to guess in Soul Calibur also, on if the person is going to come in, or not, if they're going to use an unsafe stunning move, or a high crush to beat out your interrupter you're going to throw out. It's the same in Tekken. You sit there in foreplay dancing around trying to come in and get that launcher, so you can throw out your staple combos. In the case of that game, If you're playing as Jin, you'll have to sit there and wonder if you'll have to parry high on some strings or low parry if at all. Difference is he gets no damage off of a parry, just advantage, and the feeling of being a bad ass.

You're saying you don't want to guess in a Rock Paper Scissors game that someone will duck your grab. You want it easy, so that your cop out ender for a start of a combo would be unanimously a 33H+P thrown out, and that's not how things are suppose to roll. A standing throw is made for someone who's standing, and SE to low guard offers more advantage, anyway if used correctly. A low hold offers steady advantage or disadvantage but you lose out on anywhere from 1frame to 63+ Frames, who knows what you can get out there.

Standing throws on low holds are not the way to go. More recovery is, if at all.

If you agree with tc you are a moron, plain and simple. Now that there is nerfed recovery, You are holding low because you are afraid of gambling between high attack or a throw especially against characters who have both of those as their best moves, so in a sense you are sacrificing your possible damage, and If you are blindly throwing all highs then you are a f idiot, obviously I would rather just low hold and interrupt, than having to take a risk of attacker stopping in the middle of it and throwing me.

End of discussion.
Your stand point is unclear... and we've also established all of these things that you've just said. What do you mean by tc though. Is that your nickname for me?

You really aren't going to budge on this...
He won't. Maybe he realizes were right but just like every any arrogant person, he's stubborn. If it ain't his way, it's the wrong way, because he made fighting games what they are.
We've tried to meet these guys halfway and say more recovery is viable as an option, but he's tossed out away everything we said because he wants an easy cop out option for someone thinking "smart", or being a wet pussy by low holding to dodge most possibly options. It's a rock paper scissors game. I don't know what else to say about it, you'll have to guess, or watch and react. You'll have to guess in any fight game. Will someone tech roll after combo in Tekken, and if they do are they close enough for me to run up and catch them in the vulnerable frames of the roll?
In SCV, will the person try to critical edge me if I throw out this unsafe launcher for big damage or will they go for a launcher of their own.
Gambling is the center of fighting. Notice that the best fighting in games and in real life, only happens when the competitors consider their options, calmly. Something has to beat something, so you have to consider the possibilities. Ya know? So sometimes you can't so you have to guess, you have to try something, whether it be whiffing a move close by the backing out, or coming in strong and hoping for your guard break to connect, or whiffing a hold to fake out the person, then hitting them before they try to catch you in your recovery frames(and fail). Or hitting them, then waiting to see what they do, so you can get an idea of what they do every time they're hit. I personally spam mid counters, or try to block and interrupt. I think mid punches seem to be more common, that's me. Doesn't mean I won't guess on a high too, but if someone fought me, that's maybe what they'd see of me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD