DOA5LR Mai Shiranui DOA5LR Discussion - Guest from FF/KOF series

Xhominid The Demon Within

... I... think he needs to stop.

Let's not be that much of a dick alright? I mean yeah, the last time he and his friends played it...yeah, black eye for days. But again, I have noticed how serious he takes a game into actually trying to learn it. If he has all of his friends over, then they pretty much take it as about as seriously as an average party game.

BUT, if he's actually by himself or has a single friend around at best, then he will make a grand effort to actually learn the game and play online. So let's see where this goes before we start tossing daggers around okay?

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
I'll try to give him a benefit of a doubt. Hopefully, he'll make some sort progress if he is actually going to follow through with his statement. On the other hand (if one should be optimistic) perhaps more players will be invested in DOA. Perhaps we can also thank Mai for that as well... (or SNK and TN for implementing her into the game rather).

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I mean if he wants to learn the game, by all means. It also leads to a question on what high viewing gaming Youtuber/streamer isn't streaming or getting views for their own persona gains? - This may sound cruel of me, but I'm more interested in his viewers to play it because it can convince one to bring others to try it.

Me and 866Ain responded to his message but "he" hasn't responded and it doesn't seem like he will considering that he made tweets seconds ago right after. Basically that dude turned Hollywood. Course, individuals clearly don't really need him for more game gameplay exposure, but more people trying it the better. Someone around his area could help him learn the game. He just needs to not go Hollywood in the similar fashion at EVO when Nykko tried to help that dude try to learn the game.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Still find it weird she only has one GB. It makes people more prone to hit buttons, I just hope the block stun recovery isn't incredibly fast that makes it difficult to react to, but not necessarily massive recovery for no reason like Raidou either. Hope she's somewhere in the middle.

You have characters such as Rig, Jacky, Mila etc. that have moves within 18 or faster recovery speed but it's unsafe (-10) on block. Difficult to throw those moves especially when you are trying it on the net. It's not even in the right mind to attempt to throw it either because one would think it's safe but it's not.

Another example is someone like Jann Lee. Jann Lee does SSP and you block, he's at -2. However the recovery is so fast from the move that if you perform a jab (oh man, especially playing on the net), you'll have to instantly buffer on reaction to out prioritize him if he performs another move. But because people play on the net, you'll have to anticipate and perform a early buffer just to beat him out. I can't remember how many times Jann Lee did SSP on block and beating out my jab when he does his jab while I'm at +2. I do hope Mai isn't a character that isn't that atrocious playing on the net.

Last edited:

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
No one in the game has an i18 frame projectile either. Assuming thats Mai's fan in the movelist. Having a single positive guard break wont make or break the character either.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
It wouldn't for sure, though it's the ability to escape things on a logical visual scale that normally would benefit an exterior rather than an interior.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Escaping projectiles is fine, but are still useful tools. Especially one as fast as this one. The fact that you HAVE to escape means its already making you commit to an action (wasting 1+ seconds to avoid it is Pro to having a projectile).

It looks like it might be a high as well. And if both her fan and Ryuenbu can be cancelled into, then that already makes them very good. We'll see though when she's released.

Dark-truth

He's not gonna sign up for FSD right? That may not be a good thing. And I really doubt his motives, I feel as if he's just doing this as some sort of joke: get into the DOA community and make a mockery of us for YouTube views just like he did when Mai was revealed...
I doubt he'll do that, and let's be honest the DOA community isn't really a good community and DOA is kinda a fan service now

SilverForte

Escaping projectiles is fine, but are still useful tools. Especially one as fast as this one. The fact that you HAVE to escape means its already making you commit to an action (wasting 1+ seconds to avoid it is Pro to having a projectile).

It looks like it might be a high as well. And if both her fan and Ryuenbu can be cancelled into, then that already makes them very good. We'll see though when she's released.

Having a somewhat fast projectile is indeed a boon, Genra being a prime example. Mai's may not be mid and instant hit like his, but her speed will make up for it.

Plus if the frame data is to be believed it looks like the fan will be plus on block, so pretty good.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Maybe she can throw it and run while it's traveling like in KOF! That'll help with pressure, I loved that aspect about her when I played the KOF demo. So if it hits and stuns she can start a set up.

SilverForte

Hopefully yeah, but she's only gonna have one version of it here unlike in kof where she has a slow one and a fast one, so I guess we shall see.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Having a somewhat fast projectile is indeed a boon, Genra being a prime example. Mai's may not be mid and instant hit like his, but her speed will make up for it.

Plus if the frame data is to be believed it looks like the fan will be plus on block, so pretty good.

The fan being +1 on block would ne nice. But just the sheer fact that its fast already makes it a good tool. I cant wait to play this character.

Dark-truth

DOA has always haf fan service. And the game isn't just fan service. It is a legitimate fighter.
It is but I can understand why people think it's only fan service since team ninja keep giving this game that image, team ninja doesn't really care that much about the fans TBH they mostly care about getting sales which is why they keep adding sexed up female characters with fetish costumes. Raidou was the only male that got added since ultimate and he didn't even got a debut pack while every pair of tits did. The male characters barely get attention and usually are worse than the female characters.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
No, they continue to use the same marketing strategy because its working. And casual fans of the series are eating it up. So why stop what isn't broken?

On the flip side, TN is also still pleasing the actual competitive player base by providing playable and balance content, and tournament events (and its up to the community ultimately adapt to change or not). But MORE of the player base has to participate in that as well. Anyway, not trying to get off topic here.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD