Marie Rose update will surely bring general changes

TRI Mike

Once we get a patch to play as petite lady Marie Rose, I'm sure the general mechanics and frame data of the game will be changed. So I'm thinking now is the time for us to once again start expressing our opinions on what needs to be added, changed and go away. Since this part of the forums is general, let's try to keep the character-specific stuff in their own forums... (unless the mods are OK with it).

First and like I've expressed in the 240 vs 300 thread. I think the default life setting must be reduced to what it was in DOA2, 3, 4 and Dimensions. Me and several other seasoned players like @virtuaPAI have already expressed more than enough reasons as to why the game does NOT benefit from having 60+ seconds rounds where nothing hurts and people just play without caring for making mistakes. My personal group is already playing in 240 and we all agree 100% the game is much better this way.

The ground game needs to be completely redone, I was one of the few who supported the idea of having forced techs after ground slams and some juggles for every fighter. My characters in vanilla: Tina and Helena benefitted a lot from it and while Helena can still (kind of) do it, Tina lost a lot of potential there. But even if forced techs are still gone, the problems with DOA5U's ground game go far beyond that. The invincibility in tech rolls and people staying in the floor is just ridiculous and I can't find any viable strategy to deal with a grounded foe other than backdashing or attempting to hold a wake-up kick.... btw those need to be nerfed further. Make them linear, don't allow them to stun even in Hi-counter, make them BOTH unsafe and make them slower and with less range. It's absurd that the wake-up kick is still one of the most powerful attacks in the game.

Some characters are still too negative on block like Hitomi, which I was testing a bit yesterday. I didn't find a single positive-on-block move and the safe ones are easily holdable or crushable. I personally can't complain about Tina because she's really safe except for a couple of negative guard breaks (honestly TN, when are you guys gonna understand there's no LOGIC to a negative guard break!¿) but the vast majority of the cast is too unsafe.

Unholdable stuns need to be more important for EVERYONE. Tina lost two of her most important attack properties that guaranteed her excellent damage and the one that remains was nerfed and no longer gives her a free launcher. The rest of the cast also suffered from this so I feel that holding in stun is happening too much. Not like in DOA4 but it's getting quite silly. This could be (kinda) solved by making small combos hurt but with the current life setting of over 9000 life we have to land extremely huge CB combos or grappler throws to deal scary damage.

Now, lets discuss this.

Number 13

Indifferent about the life change. I just beat the opponent. Life changes would either delay or hurry up the inevitable.

Support Force Techs losing presence (shit was getting ridiculous), but Oki pressure game could use some help.

About characters buffs, yes to characters that need them like Ein.

Indifferent about stun game changes. Fine with how it is currently mostly because I'm used to the flow of it by now, but wouldn't mind a sudden change.

Last edited:

Davey2100

I don't think every character necessarily need safe strings. one of Hitomi's strengths is delaying and mixing up her strings, it's nice to have different characters relying on different strats.

I agree that people are way too invincible on the ground it's gotten really ridiculous.

im not sure about the guard break thing, the animation does kinda make some attacks feel and look powerful, but at the same time its really pointess.

TRI Mike

Tina, Bass, Bayman, Leon, Rachel, Kokoro, Akira, Sarah, Rig, Mila, Leifang, Kasumi, Ayane, Momiji, Pai, Hitomi, Ein and all the others will too.

RiBu

Game is fine...People need to just let it go. Hopefully they will release her as a new character for the same price as each individual character.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
first off why should i pay for her? i bought the full game...twice.

second, there isnt a game out there that doesn't need improvements. its our jobs as fans of the series to attempt to make the game better.

Number 13

- Games like Pong and Tetris don't need improvements. Further 'improvements' would ruin those game.

Look at what happened to Frogger and Crash Bandicoot.

Don't fly too close to the sun m8.

- People should only pay for Marie in Core Fighters like the rest of the characters.

RiBu

second, there isnt a game out there that doesn't need improvements. its our jobs as fans of the series to attempt to make the game better.

You bought Doa5u as it was presented at the time; it was never presented as doa5u with free future content.

even if the game could improve it doesn't mean it should be given sweeping balance changes. Fans should never be the people who dictate balance patches; ideally it would be groups of dedicated players who actually understand the meta of a particular game and generate a vast array of information and field testing on certain changes. Changes are always subjective. The current game seems fine as is,and changing it for the sake of appeasing people/issues that aren't really issues doesn't help improve the game.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
the only reason were even asking this is because the game was given sweeping balance changes ignoring what the "dedicated players who actually understand the meta of a particular game" told TN.

MasterHavik

- Games like Pong and Tetris don't need improvements. Further 'improvements' would ruin those game.

Look at what happened to Frogger and Crash Bandicoot.

Don't fly too close to the sun m8.

- People should only pay for Marie in Core Fighters like the rest of the characters.
Off topic:Thank god Crash is getting a reboot. Just thought you and everyone should know he is being rebooted. If anyone wants proof, pm me and i'll show you.

Tina, Bass, Bayman, Leon, Rachel, Kokoro, Akira, Sarah, Rig, Mila, Leifang, Kasumi, Ayane, Momiji, Pai, Hitomi, Ein and all the others will too.
They don't do as much damage as the peeps I meant too. They got over half life combos in a system where everyone took some heavy universal damage nerf.

Now to the people that think this game is "fine" you see while I like this game...it still has wonky balance and odd game design decisions. It seems all the new stuff added in this games bounds, sitdown stuns, and etc. is kind of half assed. You know something isn't right only a handful of characters have sitdown stuns that do what they are suppose to do. You know something isn't right when five or six don't have bounds that require them to get their foe to deep stun and they do it whenever the hell they want. You know something isn't right when crouching got nerf back to 7 frames instead of what it was changed to in vanilla. The game is playable of course, but I feel all the new and some new moves are kind of worthless for most characters. It seems all these new features TN added for the game was to try to be different and make DOA look fresh..but if looked at closer you will see they kind of just threw it in.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
*googles crash reboot* oh so it is, that's interesting.

there are many things wrong with this game that is simply a matter of common sense

Brute

Standard Donor
You see, you typically have two options in regard to strings:
1) linear strings/pokes that are safe/somewhat safe
2) Strings with high mix-up/delay potential that are unsafe
The first type is easy to hold or simply guard against, so you get safety to compensate for it. The latter type is not, and the reason for this is because defending against the latter type is very tricky since the attacker can delay strings, use mix-ups to blow past your guard, free-cancel into tick throws & resets (hard to counter against since the defender is keeping the mix-ups/delays in mind), etc.
So, if you have both types in one, you've gotten the best of all worlds and that's just a bit crazy (*cough Pai *cough*). My point is that Hitomi focuses on the second-type more than almost anyone in the game. Thus, if you're finishing your strings and they're getting blocked, you deserve to be at a noticeable disadvantage because you didn't utilize your delay-mix-up options properly. Hitomi simply plays a different game than safe characters who rely on linear strings.
TL;DR: Hitomi doesn't rely need to be safer.

As far as other changes I'd like to see, there are lots of stuff I'd be happy to see, but a system specific ones:
Return old ground game
270 health
More cliffs are Izuna-able
Holds/Parries/Sabaikis have increased recovery frames
All throw breaks leave both players at neutral
Revamp stagger escapes (Sitdown stuns un-staggerable?)
Add Tengu

And character specific ones:
Jann Lee - 6P returned to i11
Tina - 66P+K buff advantage on block
Leon - Get a 4P2K mixup like Bayman
Kokoro - Return speed of certain strings to vanilla 1.03
Akira - return all the junk they nerfed in 5U back to vanilla status, but tone down BT P+K and SS P+K
Alpha - run over with nerf train
Ein - infuse with buff train
Ryu - PP4PK/4PK/3H+K +2 on block or 4P2P +2 on NH (not both)
Momiji 2H+K - no longer crushes mids
Marie Rose - gets the Flower Garland drop (41236T 63214789T)

AkaShocka

Akira - return all the junk they nerfed in 5U back to vanilla status, but tone down BT P+K and SS P+K
Lisa - make 1p i15 and not i18
Much better. :)

MasterHavik

*googles crash reboot* oh so it is, that's interesting.

there are many things wrong with this game that is simply a matter of common sense
lol or you could have done that.

Well if it's a simpy lcommon sense why are peopel so quick to defend that it isn't? I mean this community can't seem to find a middle ground.
You see, you typically have two options in regard to strings:
1) linear strings/pokes that are safe/somewhat safe
2) Strings with high mix-up/delay potential that are unsafe
The first type is easy to hold or simply guard against, so you get safety to compensate for it. The latter type is not, and the reason for this is because defending against the latter type is very tricky since the attacker can delay strings, use mix-ups to blow past your guard, free-cancel into tick throws & resets (hard to counter against since the defender is keeping the mix-ups/delays in mind), etc.
So, if you have both types in one, you've gotten the best of all worlds and that's just a bit crazy (*cough Pai *cough*). My point is that Hitomi focuses on the second-type more than almost anyone in the game. Thus, if you're finishing your strings and they're getting blocked, you deserve to be at a noticeable disadvantage because you didn't utilize your delay-mix-up options properly. Hitomi simply plays a different game than safe characters who rely on linear strings.
TL;DR: Hitomi doesn't rely need to be safer.

As far as other changes I'd like to see, there are lots of stuff I'd be happy to see, but a system specific ones:
Return old ground game
270 health
More cliffs are Izuna-able
Holds/Parries/Sabaikis have increased recovery frames
All throw breaks leave both players at neutral
Revamp stagger escapes (Sitdown stuns un-staggerable?)
Add Tengu

How about Zack? I say infuse him with the "having more tools that work well with the new features of this game" train and 4H+K bound back and making 8P a sitdown stun that gives him +20 or more on hit so he will be able to land a CB after it. Now a response to your first main piece of the post....

For the first part I like what you're saying and how you broke it up. Hitomi plays that game and plays it well. I wanted to blow my brains out for thinking people thought she sucked or anything.

JL: Hmm...nah he still has a enough to win. Yeah he gets bulldog, but you just gotta play mroe D with him this time. He still has his damage and his mid punch hold.
Tina: Yes, but she is going to need mroe than that to have a fighting chance in this game.
Leon: I'm cool with that.
Kokoro: How about some tracking to go with that speed bro?
Akira: I think you can trust the JPN DOA community is going to make that happen, so don't worry he is going to get that and maybe a little more.
Alpha: sigh...she is still too good? Can you explain this one?
Ein: Same Alpha, can you explain this one? Yeah he is limited and all, but he some of the best bounds in the game.
Ryu: Hmm.. all right. Does he need any speed buffs?
Momo: hmm.. all right.
Marie Rose:uh...how do you know that? you got the arcade version of it already?

Return old ground game( which DOA we're talking here? DOA 4?
270 health(As a Zack player I approve of this change.)
More cliffs are Izuna-able( ugh...no i don't want hear his annoying ass more than i have to.)
Holds/Parries/Sabaikis have increased recovery frames( Thank you...Zack vs. Genfu won't be emga ass if they did that to characters with them)
All throw breaks leave both players at neutral(YES!)
Revamp stagger escapes (Sitdown stuns un-staggerable?) (I like this one too.)
Add Tengu

KingGhidorah

Yin showed me and Destruction an article which stated she'd be free for both Core Fighters and those with the full game via a patch.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD