Mila's Mixup Game *Sigh*

So after get my ass handed to me by 99% of people high/mid countering my barrage of punches, I try switching it up a bit by throwing kicks & knees into the mix but that seems to fail me most of the time.

Whenever I attempt a mix up like I start off with PP2K or anything else, I always keep getting countered somehow. I know she has a pretty small moveset but does that make her easy to anticipate? My brother says he already can guess that a high/mid punch is coming because she doesn't really have anything else to mix up with and that's all she has.

I started to understand that maybe she isn't a combo orientated character but has more potential in a strike and grappling game. So here are a couple of questions:

What are my best options to mix up with? Should I even be focusing on mix up's with her?

Whats a good Strategy against offensive characters with strong mix up game (I seem to have a hard time coming up with my counter attack when someone is keeping me on defensive mode all day)

How is she supposed to be played or rather; how do you guys play her? Since everyone has different approaches to there character (or the same)

I want to prove to people that Mila is a force to be reckoned with and not just a punching bag.

ChrisArmoun

I'm far from an expert on her as I didn't have early access but I'd recommend canceling her typical strings. She's pretty straight forward in that regard. You have to make your opponent fear her potential to grapple. If they only believe you're gonna strike, they'll just bait and counter. Not sure if you know but in DoA you can generally cancel all combo strings by pressing :h: after any command. This allows you to begin a new string, where you can start from a new attack angle. Also don't be afraid to sidestep on rushdown players. It's works very well and Mila has 3 options from it.

I'm still looking for some good moves to trip up people and lead to some good setups so my knowledge is still pretty limited.

For your particular friend, if he continually counters PP2K, change it up and throw in PP2KH, PP2KHP or PP2KHK. If he's countering on 2k and you cancel into another option you'll get hi counter damage and leave him wide open.

MIla won't win a speed battle. You have to out think your opponent and make them go after attacks you aren't throwing.

I always thought the H wasn't necessary and all you had to do is to just simply stop the middle of your string. Doesn't it work the same way?

ChrisArmoun

It can work for some but some moves take you out of neutral position, i.e. crouching, back turned, etc. H resets your inputs from neutral from what I've noticed thus. I was experimenting with today with Kokoro as I was having problems canceling by just stopping a command. I tried bypassing H but it didn't really work with Kokoro without a long delay

For Mila the H is required and specific to certain moves

synce

Right now my game revolves around sending people flying into the wall or doing the takedown. I believe if you get all 3 hits from it you're guaranteed a stomp. You can take it or dash back + feint. If they escape takedown I take them down again, just like the real thing! But some people online don't find it amusing :confused: I mean you have so many great options into the takedown and out of it.

The problem with that strategy is it doesn't work so well against certain characters like Kasumi or Brad Wong, which seem to be always in crouching stance. I'm still working on a strat for them ;p

Jefffcore

If you get a stun and do p6pk > takedown, you're doing 15-20 damage more than your strongest combo (if you get the whole thing).

Mila can get CB in 3 hits, so your mix up is just getting a stun and doing another 2(3 if it has a jab in it) hit string (i.e. 3PP, 3KK, PPP, 2KPP. PP6K), or 2 more separate hits (i.e. 4k, 3p, 4H+K, 3K, etc). Ideally you want to stick to mids anyway, because they'll be forced to hold mid. Problem is, her 2 mid launchers are 21 and 23i; her CB is 19, so you're never getting anything guaranteed, and the only sitdown she can put you in once you're stunned is 3PP, which doesn't offer anything. The only time you're going to get a guaranteed launch is if you stun with another sitdown on NH, and after CB.

At the moment I'd say get used to using K, PK, and P6PK, 6K, as they give you +11 (6K gives you + on any state, and K only does on NH). It doesn't put them in a deep stun, meaning you can throw almost instantly; if they try to attack they'll get stuffed by anything. The takedown will shut down everything that doesn't duck, and 6H+P will give you another free K so you can loop the set up.

Still getting mopped with aggressive players. I've had plenty bad matchups with Ayane, Kasumi, Eliot and Hitomi recently. Guess I'll actually have to see what high level Mila play looks like so I can get an idea on what to do.

DrDogg

I'm on my phone at Season's Beatings, so I'll make this short (you may see me on stream tomorrow). Sidestep is your best friend. SS tackle is amazing, SS P is mid and safe if the opponent ducks.

I rarely use her punch strings, but when I do it's all about the safe mix-ups into 6K and 3K. On block you get the tackle cancel or good frames for a SS tackle. 66K into BT mixups is also good, especially when mixed up with 66T or 66P (near a wall).

Everything I do is a setup for 6T, 214T, or tackle.

Mizkreant

Why is no one talking about 4+H+K? It has good range, mid, it's 15 frames, and stuns. The only downside is that it doesn't track, and IIRC it's -7 on block (I don't know if opponents could get in range to neutral throw, probably not).

Also, I thought 9+K launches during stun?

shinryu

9k definitely launches on stun, it's one other option after you pick up from P+K with 3p for example.

How + is 6k on block? Getting frames on block is so rare that's an amazing tool right there.

TheOtherJN

I've had no problems with her mix-up games. Could be due to me not playing good players though.
IRC her 2K can combo into her Critical Burst, and 4K can combos into CB as well on Counter-Hit. I'm not sure if 8K is a high attack, but right there you have 3 more options other than mid-punch.

Tokkosho

i do SSP-3KK(or 4PK)-CB-6 H+K-3PP-5P-6P-6P
it works very often and does a good chunk of damage
lol i put 4 instead of 6.. double fail

Mila

4H+K - 2H+K - 4H+K has trapped various people I've fought. They're usually so set on getting back up and doing something that they get slapped as they wake up by the 4H+K. Repeating this yields rage from many though, but is guaranteed heavy damage if you're the punishing type.

Be careful though. As if this becomes too obvious you'll get countered, obviously.

Raze

I've been using her a little bit and her mixup is pretty good, you just need to mix in her lows :1::P: is quite good, and her mid kicks. :3::H+K: is very good and usually sets you up for an immediate ground grab :3::H+P: on hit. If you string spam you're gonna pay and no her strings aren't the most varied, but she seems to be a very good character, I enjoy using her at least.:oops:

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD