DOA5U Momiji Breakdown (work in progress)

Saber

MomijiBREAKDOWNBanner.png

Offense starters:

- K is a 12 frame high kick that out-prioritizes other 12-frame mid punches. Used raw, it gives +1 on NH, +15 on CH and Hi-CH. -10 on block, but respect followups. KP (high K, high P) gives +28 stun, but is unsafe on block (-8). KK (high K, mid K) gives +13 stun, and is borderline safe (-6 on block). Very delayable.

- H+K is another 12 frame high kick and out-prioritizes other 12 frame moves, which gives a +16 stun on CH, and is an excellent offense starter. Can also be done from BT. -7 on block, unsafe against grapplers. Tracks.

- P is 10 frame jab, PPP is a natural combo on NH, gives a mid P (sitdown stun) or high P (knockback) mix up end of string, PP8 leads to DJ shenanigans. PP4P tracks.

- 6P is a 12 frame mid punch which leads to her 6K string. Her BnB juggle. Stuns CH and Hi-CH, giving +17.

- 4P. Tracking 14 frame mid punch that stuns on CH, giving +15. Only use this move to anti-SS. Never use it for any other purpose.

- 8P is a 14 frame high punch and launches on CH or during stun, leaves her facing forward. (-11, very unsafe). Can be used after Momiji's faint stuns.

- BTP is a 12 frame high punch and her main offense starter when BT. Rarely does anyone anticipate a 12 frame move from BT, and gives a +27 stun on NH, and a faint stun on CH and Hi-C, cannot be held, and guarantees 8P which leads to her BnB combo. (-8, unsafe). This move is to be used after using DJ to avoid wake up kicks.

Crushes:
- 2H+K is 23 frames and crushes both highs and mids. Stuns on NH (+5) and on CH (+10). Tracks.

- 2P is a 12 frame low punch, instantly tech crouches, neutral on hit and safe on block at -5 (except against Alpha). Weird that it leaves her at -1 on Ch and Hi-CH.

- 1PP - Tech crouching, tracking 17 frame low punch followed by a high punch that's +3 on NH and +19 on CH.

- 1PK - Same as above, but with 2H+K variant. Tracks.

- 6K is a 16 frame mid kick that crushes lows and leads to DJ shenanigans, all of which low crushes (and some of which mid crushes. -14 on block, but respect follow ups. Gives +24 stun on NH, CH and Hi-CH, and is useful as a stun extender.

- 8K is a 15 frame high kick that low crushes, and even though it's -12 on block, it recovers in the air, so it can't be throw punished. Stuns on NH and launches on CH and in stun, and can be used after Momiji's faint stuns. Its initial frames track.

- 9K is an 18-frame high kick causes a +11 BT stun, jumps over lows, and tracks. Guarantees anything 14 frames and below, but you have to have enough range. In open stance, 8P and 6PK is guaranteed, giving you a free launcher into 6PKKP.

- 66K is an 18 frame mid kick that low crushes, has good range and can be used as a whiff punisher. +23 stun on NH and launches on CH.

- 33P is a 23-frame NH launcher, a high punch, but also a high crush. Grants similar launch height to 236P. -7 on block, unsafe against grapplers.

- Any move from Double Jump low crushes.

Pokes:
- 44K is an 18 frame mid kick, leaves her BT, but is also a reliable long-range poke. can leads to BTP (faint stun), 2K (high and mid crush), H+K (jumping flip - evades everything, really), 4K (15 frame mid kick that stuns on NH and gives a +15 sitdown stun in stun and on CH).

- 66PP is 15 frames, gives +19 stun on CH and is her longest range move as well as whiff punisher. 66P is safe at -5, and her follow-up P is a NH launcher. Follow up P tracks.

- 66K - see above

Main stun extenders:
- P is 10 frames, high punch, and gives +29 in stun.

- 6P - see above.

- 3P is a 13 frame mid punch that's -9 on block, but has a follow-up P that's safe (-3). Her main guaranteed stun extender after her 6H+K sitdown stun (if you can land it during stun or on CH), or after SSP/6P+K horizontal fall stun (holdable). In stun, it gives +28. 3P4PP follow up tracks, whereas 3PP does not.

- Uzukaze PP - 10 frame high P followed by a 13 frame high P that gives +20 in stun. Tracks.

- 6K - see above.

- 4K is a 15 frame mid kick that's safe on block (-5). Gives +2 on NH stun and +18 in stun and on CH and Hi-CH.

Tracking moves (in-string moves in brackets track):
PP[4P]
P[K]
66P[P]
3P[4P][P]
44P
1P
1PP
1PK
236P
3K[P]
214P+K
H+K
Uzukaze PP
Uzukaze PK
BT4P
BT2P
BT2K

Launchers:
- 236P is a 20-frame NH launcher that can be used a whiff punisher. Her main launcher that grants the most launch height. Tracks.

- 33P - see above.

- Uzukaze PK is 18 frames, a NH launcher, and actually gives a higher launch than 236P, but Momiji's in recovery frames when you use this move, so launch height becomes ass. Tracks.

- 8P, 8K, 66K - all launch in stun - see above.

Transitions to Uzukaze:
- 7P
- PP8
- 44P8 (tracks)
- 3KP8 (tracks)

Transitions to Tenku:
- 7PP+K/7PK
- PP8P+K/PP8K
- 44P8P+K/44P8K
- 3KP8P+K/3KP8K
- 6PKK
- 6KK

Strategy:
Momiji is very much a character who lives and breathes on the stun-launch game. She completely excels in it and has launchers from every hit level. Stun, then launch. Use her 6PKKP BnB juggle.

Setups:
- If your opponent blocks Uzukaze K, they're in for a world of hurt. It's +14, and if they block, follow up with Tenku K for +7, or Tenku Throw, which leads to a full juggle (I recommend H+K, 6PK, 3P4PP).
- If they hold, go for the Tenku Hi-C(see here for throw combos).
- If they strike, too bad, it's on CH. Use Tenku P, and delay 2P by just a small pause to guarantee a down punch. Then space out with 7P.
  • Or use Tenku K which knocks them back and wall splats. Follow up with wall combo if splats (see here for best damage wall combos)
- If they crouch or low hold, Tenku P. Down punch guaranteed. Force tech them if they stay on the ground with 1PK or 2H+K. Force tech them if they stay on the ground with 1PK or 2H+K. Or, let them tech (you'll still be at advantage since they're in recovery frames).
- If they sidestep (which is pretty damn hard to do), then you'll be at disadvantage since she doesn't have any tracking moves from Tenku. :(

- Using 2K (low kick) in stun gives Momiji a +11 sitdown stun on fastest SE, which you can mix up with a throw (41236T), or if they don't SE, or if it's not fast enough, follow up with 6P.

- 6P+K gives you that horizontal faint stun that's holdable, but not SE-able. Bait holds with this, or follow up with 8P/8K for launch, 3P to extend stun, 2K for throw/mid P mixup or 2P to reset (+3).

- 44K leaves you BT. Use, and follow up with BTP for an unholdable faint stun. Same options as 6P+K, but you can also use 1P for a +7 reset. Everything after BTP is guaranteed. Alternatively, you can use 4PP for a launch, 2P for a +5 reset or 4K for a +15 sitdown stun that's too useless to guarantee anything since it knocks the opponent too far away.

The only times where you should use your Double Jump transitions is in-stun for mix up shenanigans or during juggles. You can use it to evade moves, but it's very risky.

She has tracking moves from Uzukaze, but not from Tenku (unfortunately).

Anyways, more to come. Apologies for the lack of organization; I was rushing to do this. It's a work-in-progress so expect edits over time. Feel free to let me know if I missed anything.

Last edited:

RiBu

You're doing the Lord's work.

Is her frame data online, or are you using the in game tool to find out?

CheekyChi

I'm reading a lot that 2H+K crushes mids but when I set the training dummy to react with a mid after a jab for example, I still get hit?

Also, I think 8P and 6P+K both crushes high? Her 6P+K seems to take a few frames before it will actually dodge the high attack though.

Tenryuga

I'm reading a lot that 2H+K crushes mids but when I set the training dummy to react with a mid after a jab for example, I still get hit?

Also, I think 8P and 6P+K both crushes high? Her 6P+K seems to take a few frames before it will actually dodge the high attack though.

Some mids in the game have a terrible hit box and are crushable by sweeps. I have no doubt in my mind that momijis 2H+K will crush Kasumi's 6P any day of the week.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
It's pretty late. Just look at the animation. It's pretty accurate. Do like 66P 2H+K or something.

EDIT: Against Kasumi, that is. It still won't work against mids with low boxes.

Saber

2P+K crushes mids that
Against Kasumi, that is. It still won't work against mids with low boxes.
Correct. I forgot to add this in.

Is it instant or can you still get hit during some of the start up frames?
Instant tech crouch.

I'll have to check. Thanks for letting me know. ^_^

Kokomi

@Saber, I'm quite interested in picking up Momiji seeing as how she has a small command list and her input commands are fairly simplistic, save for her version of Izuna. In fact, I've been going around picking several other characters after deciding my Hitomi and Kokoro won't get me far enough when I decide to rank.

From what I can understand from your breakdown guide, Momiji is

• Quite safe if not safest character for DOA5U at the moment (most moves leave her at -1, -3 at best)
  • Speedier version of Hayabusa, harder hitting than Kasumi, not as linear as Kokoro?
  • Easy to pressure with
  • Highly versatile moves (most strings can end it high, mid and low)
  • Very precision/timing based.
  • Needs juggle to achieve good damage.
Correct if my observations are wrong but she sounds too tempting to not be picked up. Do you think she's well-suited for beginners as of DOA5U? How far do you think she'll go in competitive scenes?

Saber

@Saber, I'm quite interested in picking up Momiji seeing as how she has a small command list and her input commands are fairly simplistic, save for her version of Izuna. In fact, I've been going around picking several other characters after deciding my Hitomi and Kokoro won't get me far enough when I decide to rank.

From what I can understand from your breakdown guide, Momiji is

• Quite safe if not safest character for DOA5U at the moment (most moves leave her at -1, -3 at best)
  • Speedier version of Hayabusa, harder hitting than Kasumi, not as linear as Kokoro?
  • Easy to pressure with
  • Highly versatile moves (most strings can end it high, mid and low)
  • Very precision/timing based.
  • Needs juggle to achieve good damage.
Correct if my observations are wrong but she sounds too tempting to not be picked up. Do you think she's well-suited for beginners as of DOA5U? How far do you think she'll go in competitive scenes?
She's great for beginners. Easy to pick up and play, very easy inputs, solid on pokes, safety and damage. She's not the absolute safest on block (those titles belong to the VF characters), but she's definitely one of the safest.

And yes, she's faster than Hayabusa and definitely has a higher damage output than Kasumi, and you can't really compare Kokoro to Momiji in terms of linearity because Momiji shuts down sidestepping completely.

She's not the easiest to pressure with, but she has solid stun > launch options. She's not made for agression, but she's not defensive either. She's solid on evasion with good spacing tools (7P) and an immense amount of crushes for both highs and lows.

She's not good with in-string mixups, though. She doesn't have any high-low mixups except 1P, but she can put the opponent into 50/50 loops by transitioning into Jump and Double Jump.

And yes, she's very much juggle-heavy, but that's her strongest point. She can get off a ton of damage from a simple CL1 launch on all weight classes. She also has solid single-hit mixup options to play the stun game (PP, 3P and 6K to extend stun, 8P and 8K to launch), and has good pokes (P - 10f and 0 on block, 6P - 12f and has followups, 2P - 12f and 0 on hit, K - 12f and outprioritizes other 12f mid Ps).

I'm not sure what you mean by precision/timing-based, though. Do you mean by input? Because she has very easy inputs.

As far as the competitive scene goes, she's alright. Depends on player, but she's not as braindead as Rachel.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD