System My biggest problem with the game.

Do you think movement should be allowed before the round starts?

• Yes

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • No

Votes: 16 59.3%

• Total voters

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
@Mr. Wah I don't think you can move in DOA1, I know it was a few years ago when we played but I don't think I could rush you down R1F in DOA1. I recall just standing there until we could fight. Though I may be mistaken.

If Team Ninja disabled movement R1F I'd be fine with that. If they don't disable it then, ok.

If I had to choose which one, I'd disable it and only allow free step movement, characters won't be able to run or advance forward, it would be a true neutral situation without forcing players to be dry humped by faster characters that are equipped with parries/crushing abilities/evasiveness, and better zoning characters can't run and get the advantage over the close range characters.

The majority that play game that value how it "feels" will go in an uproar if movement is disabled so we will be stuck with how it is because the majority like the way it is.

EDIT: The only reason I would allow free step movement is for the simple fact that this game does a piss poor job at positioning player 2 in some cases. If the positioning of player 2 was fixed I wouldn't mind having the movement completely disabled.

To be fair, I never said I liked or disliked the ability to use free movement in DOA. I simply said what it is and how important positioning is. I'd play this game regardless of free movement at R1F or not.

Pictured Mind

I forgot about this thread.

You're forced into a situation where you have less options than the opponent. That's exactly what an advantage is.

You're not. Unless you're playing against a character who's speed is better than yours, which would then be a problem for the whole match. Not just the start.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
It's not a problem for the whole match if you start at mid range 'cause you have the added option of kbd and whiff punishing. Point blank, kbd will lose against everything. That's the problem I have. Range is trivialized because moving backwards loses to every option. It's essentially being forced into the corner without easy access to wall damage.

GovTD

In my opinion/experience, I kind of see movement before a round almost as a sort of precursor to what the rest of the round has to offer. If the opponent is dashing into my face before the announcer says "round one", I can see before the punches even start flying that this guys isn't planning on giving me breathing room, so I have a precious few seconds to realise that I should try to counter this dude's aggressive strategy. And if they choose not to get into my face, I see that as a sign that they want a little space to move around, and that I should try to make sure that doesn't happen.

If anything, I kind of see movement before the round starts as a way to slightly deepen the mind games that go on in a fight, without the necessity of fists to fly.

I'll admit I don't have the most experience in this sort of thing, but that's just what I've noticed in my time in DOA.

AkaShocka

I just dont think characters should be able to go into stances before the fight. Like at the start of a match Christie can jak all day until the fight starts, thats a huge problem to slower or linear characters. Same thing with Helena'sBKO duck, it can trouble characters who lacks true mids or lack fast lows. The eevasive stance thing is kinda what bugs me the most before the match starts. At the same time it can be good thing because what if the Helena player wants to start of with BKO 6p or something? So my point has its ups and downs.

Brute

Standard Donor
I just dont think characters should be able to go into stances before the fight. Like at the start of a match Christie can jak all day until the fight starts, thats a huge problem to slower or linear characters. Same thing with Helena'sBKO duck, it can trouble characters who lacks true mids or lack fast lows. The eevasive stance thing is kinda what bugs me the most before the match starts. At the same time it can be good thing because what if the Helena player wants to start of with BKO 6p or something? So my point has its ups and downs.
Ryu's R1F would become astronomically shittier than it already is if that were the case.

GovTD

I kind of see another problem with all this stuff, now. Like with what Aka said: characters that benefit from stances and can get those stances before the fight have an advantage, and that seems mildly unfair. But also note that say Helena doesn't get to go into stance before the fight and say she's up against a Bass; if she tries to go into stance right out of the gate, Bass can just do his Leg Drop and she doesn't have much to do. Yeah she could back off and try to find a good time to get into stance, but Bass holds an advantage at the start of the round, much like what Helena would've had if she could've got her stance (if I had a nickle for every "stance").

So it really is a sort of "Pick your poison" type of scenario. At least from what I can see. But I might be wrong, I really don't know too much about stance characters and where their advantages lay in this game beyond Brad Wong, and that's because one of my local friends uses him so damn often.

BlankOctober

Standard Donor
I'm personally okay with this, but I can also see that on a majority of the game's stages, there is a real Player 1 advantage when it comes to the interactables that can lead to huge combos.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I have severe issues with being able to move on Get Ready Fight.

For one thing, it totally cripples slower characters right off the bat and forces them to gamble in a situation where the odds are always against them. Faster characters already have crazy damage so its not like they are trading much for the privilege of being able to get your face and screw you over right off the bat.

It may be tradition, but it's a bad mechanic.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
I'm not particularly bothered by it. whether at the start or the end of the match I'm not typically beating out a fast striker's strikes. If I want hurt them back I'll OH or advanced hold off the bat. If I want to play it safe I'll just hold block, worst they can typically do is low poke or neutral throw either way it's not a game changing amount of damage.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I'm not particularly bothered by it. whether at the start or the end of the match I'm not typically beating out a fast striker's strikes. If I want hurt them back I'll OH or advanced hold off the bat. If I want to play it safe I'll just hold block, worst they can typically do is low poke or neutral throw either way it's not a game changing amount of damage.

Any free hit is a game changing amount of damage.

If you were at a tournament and a battle for $7000 came down to one hit, then that was your one hit. You lost everything because the game was designed that way.

Even worse, if you played it "safe" by blocking and you were neutral thrown by a character who gets a launch or a free stun from that throw, they could very well take the majority of your lifebar from that flow right off the bat.

It might not happen that way, but it could and it does. There is no reason you should be content to just sit there and deal with it.

Argentus

Meh. I see early movement as the opponent showing their hand and playstyle too early and giving me the advantage of getting early counter damage. as for any amount of damage is game changing, not at all. until health bar actually hits zero, all damage is negligible. cannot tell you how many comebacks I've seen/done where one player has next to no health, but quickly annihilated an opponent with full health.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Right, if the other player did tiny bit more damage, that come back would be impossible. That's why that little bit of damage is important.

Argentus

Right, if the other player did tiny bit more damage, that come back would be impossible. That's why that little bit of damage is important.
my point was that there's no reason to worry about it because you can still win all the same. it can even give you a psychological advantage, as the opponent let's their guard down at first, then panics as you start to win and they frantically try to get that one last hit in, so they don't have the embarassment of losing to someone who had no health, leaving them open and more predictable to eating more counterholds.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Right, and that's a situation that wouldn't happen if the other guy did a tiny bit more damage. Every hit counts.

Argentus

Right, and that's a situation that wouldn't happen if the other guy did a tiny bit more damage. Every hit counts.
eh. risk and reward. I've let myself get that low on health before purely for the psyche advantage before. its all about how ya approach the game I suppose. and that I use Mila and Leon, who can decimate with a couple hits lol. llet's me be a little more lenient in how I look at things.

David Gregg

But what StrikerSashi is saying is you may not get that last bit of life (being able to come back when you're one hit away from a K.O. may be seen in high level play but more often than not your opponent gets that last hit in). In this match watch how Lei Fang @2:51 may have won the match had she not dropped Kasumi. The Kasumi player was "lucky" in a sense as that wouldn't happen often.

Last edited:

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
eh. risk and reward. I've let myself get that low on health before purely for the psyche advantage before. its all about how ya approach the game I suppose. and that I use Mila and Leon, who can decimate with a couple hits lol. llet's me be a little more lenient in how I look at things.

Doesn't matter how good you are. If your opponent is just as skilled it will come down to the smallest of margins and you will lose because the game was designed that way.

It's easy not to be worried about these things when you don't have anything on the line. When you DO have something on the line, it will piss you off quite a bit.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD