My Street Fighter 25th Anniversary Collection Overview (VERY long read)

xOmniCloudx

First and foremost, as soon as the contents of this collection was announced I found it ridiculous that SF (the original), Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix and Street Fighter Gem Fighter Mini Mix were not in this. It's the 25th Anniversary, you should be going all out and there's nothing keeping them from including those games unlike the rights mess that is EX (and Capcom never likes to acknowledge as a positive paet of SF history) and Street Fighter II V (which I'm very sad is not here). I also feel that at this point there was no excuse to not put the download SF games on a disc.

A feature the first Anniversary Collection did (and Alpha Anthology with the Alpha games after it) was give us Hyper Street Fighter II which was awesome since you could play as every version of every character against others. Yeah there were balance reasons but obviously it was a tribute mode, not meant for complete serious play since they know the problems of doing that beforehand. I wish that was here for SFIII (don't expect it in SFIV for complications in design as compared to straight 2D fighters). Also have to make me wonder why not re-include it here (unless they still want that collection to actually have some worth left) along with Alpha Anthology's.

But, I let all that slide in a sense since it had so much other stuff that still meant you were getting more price value (not necessarily quality) than what you were paying for (even if you don't want everything in the collection like me). SF x T at full price plus all DLC is around the same price for the collection itself as the most prominent example.

I'll start off negative (because there is a LOT of it) and then go positive so it wont sound like a pure bashing post (and it isn't) as opposed to my disappoint and surprise for even Capcom to do this to Street Fighter of all games (the one that has been making them the biggest amount of money the past few years and one of their most iconic franchises). I know they're doing it with Mega Man and the original DMC line but in those cases it happened due to the masterminds behind them being gone and an immediate reaction. With SF they took over from the masterminds long ago and it long since had a formula that stuck with their original visions (for the most part it seems).

Cons:
- The soundtrack. I express massive disappointment of how the discs were handled and think them being digital would have been the far superior route (especially since I and most are just going to rip them all to another device) and how they over the download games got a disc release. Now in regards to what is actually on the soundtrack.

Now I excused Capcom for not including the billion different version of SFII’s OST and am fine they went with just CPS-2 since it is obviously the most (or one of the most) popular sound among the community. But for what comes later is atrocious. First, Street Fighter Alpha 1 and 2 (and Gold which I can give a pass too since only slight sound remix) are ABSENT. This is STUPID since PS3 release even gives you Alpha 1-3 (and Max) yet SFI gets its OST and isn’t available in any part of this collection (which is still a travesty).

That means that yes, there is also no SFIII: New Generation or 2nd Impact soundtracks for SFIII. But seeing as what they did to Third Strike that may be a good thing. You see, Third Strike’s OST has a very low quality mono sound to it. It’s as if they recorded second hand off of a cell phone meanwhile there’s a thousand high quality versions that sound great uploaded all over the internet.

They didn’t even fully name or credit the songs. At random discs will have either completely credited and named info, only partially done and most commonly just have unknown everything even though all official information for these soundtracks has been available for years. It’s incredibly noticeable and sad with the fan remix discs since on one of the discs they already completely credited the artist and gave the song name on the front of the disc’s print yet not actually done on the files. Oh, and ALL files are wma and not mp3 which is absurd. The cheap plastic casing with cheap tape over no real case and being made to force them into the anniversary box is the most ridiculous thing here. Again, SHOULD have had a case.

- I dislike the Ryu figure. It's so poorly made and has horrible detail to it. They spent no real time or money on that it seems. I put it up next to my various other collector's content and it looks so out of place due to how horrible it is.

- The Ryu belt is what is. A replica and not meant for anything else. Unless you’re a cosplayer or dressing for Halloween and would use the belt.

- SFII Movie is another censored version which makes no sense.

- The certificate holders are cheap and horribly done. I have done nothing but pull the certificate out a few times and one already fell off since they used cheap glue.

- The discs were placed horribly. They're in this cheap plastic and you basically have to dig them out and force them in some slim slot in the anniversary chest. THIS is the part of the collection which should have been digital imo, not the games.

- SF x T and AE2012 are both in the same case with two disc containers and there's no manual for either of them. Why? They should both have their own cases and the manuals which are already printed in their standard releases. To make matters worse, they have no resell on the back (apparently because it's anniversary packing but even then they're the same games as their regular releases) so you can't sell them with that case legally if you wanted to. Plus if you ever only wanted to sell one of them to a person directly you have to lose the case, find a spare case or hope they don't care about not having the case and or the contents that come with each game when bought separately.

- This one is minor but still bugged me and it leads into the absolute biggest grip with this collection I have. The Alpha 1-3 (and Max), PSN Avatasr and Third Strike DLC are only advertised on the AC sleeve. Something which is easy as hell to overlook (I did and only found it by chance) for the fact that the game has a voucher slip.

A slip which shows the 4 main games of the collection (Third Strike sans DLC for some odd reason and is exclusive to the PS3 version of this collection for unknown reasons since 360 also has Third Strike unlike the Alphas), SFIITHDR, SFx T (with all DLC) and AE2012 (with all DLC). Even their description being under the logo. But on that same voucher, the Alpha 1-3 (and Max), PSN Avatars and Third Strike DLC (which again makes no sense to be missing from the description unlike AE2012 and SF xT). Now I know what you're going to say (it's not a big deal and if you were going to download the content you'd find it anyway) and this is again what will lead to my biggest problem with this entire collection.

- And here is why the last part was such a major problem and the typical Capcom move of this collection that I sadly gave them the benefit of the doubt since I didn't think they'd do this with DLC that was basically given to you (of course the collection has a price but seeing all that stuff which covers the cost the DLC and how much the DLC alone would have cost outside this collection, it may as well had been free here).

That being, NOT make them be separate downloads. I thought this was the case since as I stated earlier, the main four games with DLC had their logo and descriptions prominently pictured on the voucher. But I look below on the voucher and there's only ONE DLC code. And then it hit me why it was irrelevant that they didn't even mention the remaining DLC on the voucher.

You were going to get it anyway since that one DLC code is an unlock for everything at once. Capcom has decided that you will NOT be able to selectively choose the games or DLC that you want. No, you will go all in period. Now I wouldn't have had a problem with this if they had TOLD us they were going to do that beforehand but they were quiet about it because they knew many people (like me) would hate that I'm sure. Now it makes PERFECT sense why the download games weren't given disc releases.

The only game I own here is HDR and I was going to sell off the code since needless to say it would have been useless to me. But no, Capcom doesn't want people to be able to selectively choose most the content of the games in this collection that they want since ONLY they are allowed to have an abusive relationship with DLC and make profit the way they want it seems.

This was supposed to be the 25th Anniversary of Street Fighter. A MILESTONE and a big deal for one of the most iconic, long running and successful franchises of gaming in history. Something they should have been proud of and went all out for. But instead, they half-assed the collection with the most important aspect of it, THE GAMES! Plus that low quality figure is ass.

This was not a tribute or service to Street Fighter. This was sadly yet ANOTHER shameless way to make money and they yet again did a great job of hiding it. Like I said above I am just amazed that Capcom would do this to Street Fighter since the conditions as opposed to the other two franchises seemed hella better and the money it actually was bringing them which the other two weren't (to their standards anyway).

This collection, Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix [nobody plays it anymore ], Marvel vs Capcom 2 (don't care for it anymore) have been the ONLY Capcom things I have bought all gen (though I will be buying DMC Collection) and some of the few actually worth their money.

Other considerables are Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, MVC Origins and Megaman 9 & 10. Asura's Wrath is awesome but it's a (damn good) cinematic experience over a gameplay one (especially when it was 60%) but sadly had more DLC shenanigans. Dragon's Dogma I find to be a REALLY good game but the once again shameless DLC practice forces me to look the other direction and I will not support it. I'm HOPING that they don't next screw up Phoenix Wright since it's another of their franchises I love that they have yet to butcher in anyway. But, that's about it on the actual good releases to me from them this gen.

Too bad Final Fight Double Impact has greedy always on DRM (on PS3 that they kept quiet about until people blasted them for it) otherwise I would have bought it seeing how huge a Final Fight fan I am and of beat em ups in general, the cheap price, the online co-op and how it also comes with Magic Sword which to me is a bonus.

But for me Capcom's physical releases have been ass (I'm aware there were more games they made that I didn't list but if you noticed, I only listed games in this collection or I thought were any good). Only their downloadable stuff (all besides Mega Man being a port or remake of a time they were an amazing company at that) and a collection of a last gen series of games have been worth purchasing to me. Makes me sad.

Guess I have yet ANOTHER reason to never blindly buy a Capcom release since I didn't expect them to screw people over on basically free DLC content in a 25th anniversary collection for Street Fighter with all this content in it smh. 90s Capcom (and SquareSoft) you are GREATLY missed.

Pros:

- The bundle's price is incredibly cheap at $150 seeing everything that comes with it and the rarity of this collection. As a collector I can admit that even if you're displeased with the game handling, the actual collector's aspect of this is great.

- Juri OVA is FINALLY fully available in English. I watch both original Japanese language and English dubs and most the time Japanese language is superior but these days more common to find cases where they're close, equal or the English dub is actually better than the Japanese version. In this case I preferred it in English. Jessica Straus as Juri is just PERFECT!

- The artbook wasn't just in-house Capcom artist work (although it has none anyway which is a definite con). I was a pleasure seeing all the different artstyles and interpretations of SF from fellow fans across the world. I also enjoyed their stories behind each piece and some of the life personal details and the connection to SF it had with them.

Although there were two of those I noticed which had spelling errors in it. One a minor type and the other a full blown set of spelling errors (not saying my writing is perfect but it is an officially licensed and sold object so funny to see that). Although the funny thing is, I dislike the in-house art of the artbook cover (if that wasn't fanart). The backside with Akuma's Ten symbol works though.

- The certificate of authenticity actually makes the collector's edition mean something in terms of price later on. I found it cool that it had a story from Ono on it and the actual number you have is a great addition to it.

- Always nice to see a behind the scenes documentary of works you enjoy I feel. Gives you a greater sense of what goes in to making it and you gain a respect or bigger respect for the people involved. Back when the contents were first revealed, I found it HILARIOUS that the so bad it's good SF Animated US series is in this collection or available to purchase anywhere. But it's campiness and iconic status due to it's sub-par quality have undeniably effected the SF fanbase in a big way all its own and gave us yet another reason to enjoy the franchise (from ways not intended I'm sure).

But that and having the other animated movies (even if SFII is censored) is great. Making me wish for the first SF Live Action film for similar reasons (and the US cartoon is a sequel of the first film to anyone that didn't know). Again sad no SFII V though I can understand that rights issues may have been a factor just like it was for EX. Legend of Chun-Li is punishment to anyone who watches it plain and simple (lol at casting).

- Having fan remixes dedicated to this game over so many discs is INCREDIBLE. I'm glad that this collection has had more fan interaction than most anything with major games. They really did a great service allowing them be prominent this time and that is something not new with Capcom fighters since they allowed OC Remix's tracks to be the official soundtrack for HDR and allowed freestylers to do a MVC2 Mixtape since they know not many people enjoyed MVC2's OST (which I actually did enjoy).

- There's also the tourney sponsored by them for this tourney too which is nice though that honestly just seems like them using it for marketing since high level play catches more attention and seems to inspire more people to play the games when they see everything it has to offer. But simply my view and nothing more.

- Last but not least the GIANT chest it comes in is awesome. I LOVE that thing. So much storage space and it's great how Capcom allows you to take out some of the compartments and have more uses for it or arrange the collection contents differently. Plus the cover has a compartment inside for the certificate and artbook which was cool. Found it by mistake actually haha. Oh, and Akuma's symbol being on it is perfect.

So yeah, my entire overview of this set. Super tl;dr version, to me, this is great collection for a collector but a horrible collection and ultimately a disservice for a 25th Anniversary Street Fighter Collection. On that front it feels like a way for Capcom to use that milestone for easy money (and I'm highly sure that was the intent and the fan side which is against this and for so long didn't support this feels bad that he did just that this time regardless of expecting it or not).

As a collector I'm satisfied, as a SF fan, I'm outraged. The fact it's going to be rare and the price skyrocket for that reason and the demand later down the line, probably justified buying it even with those cons if you're intending to sell anything in it at all or only cared about certain things in it. So in a sense I don't feel ripped off as a SF fan with all those cons for me.

Although, Saban handled their Power Rangers 20th Anniversay FAR better imo. The complete series box set from MMPR - Lost Galaxy (the last season with a major connection to the Zordon era) released last month costs about $80 more but the fact it covered that much history, gives you so much exclusive behind the scenes footage that has NEVER been revealed, went out of their way to interview as many cast members as they could AND give away one of the rarest Power Rangers exclusive toy ever made (MMPR Red Ranger with Dragon Shield armor which can EASILY cost more than that entire collection itself) make it a must own for a PR fan. I feel like I should have bought that instead honestly.

Goro Hazuki

Nice write up. I was bummed that the pack wasn't available to the UK market.
Btw, my brother has some of his art in the artbook :) it's the black and white darker versions of Sagat, Blanka, and (I believe) E. Honda.

xOmniCloudx

Thanks man and no clue why Capcom would exclude the UK. Had no idea and though it was a worldwide release. I wonder if Australia got it now as well or if it was just US and JP. As for your bro's art (it's Vega, Blanka and E. Honda in the book), went through the book to see if I was remembering it correctly and that one was one of the few that stuck out to me. Looks like high quality CGI instead of something someone drew which is amazing since it's hard to do something on such a scale. Congrats to your bro for being featured and his amazing talent.

Goro Hazuki

I am LOVING his Catwoman, Etrigan and Bison art. I wish the Bison art would have made it into the artbook. Definitely deserved it.

Yeah, I like the Bison one a lot as well. I also wish the Sagat one made it (maybe that's why I thought it was in; it's my favorite one). I like the rain effects in Sagat's picture.

Goro Hazuki

Woah really? Wow that's cool. I see I'm not the only one who recognized his talent. Congrats to your bro yet again. Success definitely deserved.

Thanks again. Yeah I'm very proud of him. He did work with Ubisoft, Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Disney, and even animated the centaurs and minotaurs in the Chronicles of Narnia. I don't mean to hijack your thread, but if you're interested, here's how he does his digital paintings:

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
If you're as big a collector as you seem, you should grab both of my two most recent SF purchases: Street Fighter Monopoly and the 25th Anniversary chess set. Both are amazing.

xOmniCloudx

If you're as big a collector as you seem, you should grab both of my two most recent SF purchases: Street Fighter Monopoly and the 25th Anniversary chess set. Both are amazing.
Not a fan of either game. Plus I saw the pricing for those, I didn't agree with them even for the Anniversary.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
The chess set is worth every penny and it's not really meant to be played on in my opinion. I have a video of it in my chess thread if you haven't seen it. Just screams quality. The Monopoly is only $40 so I'm not sure I agree with you there but value is different depending on perception I suppose. I passed on this collection because I thought there wasn't enough value in it for the price, after all.

xOmniCloudx

J
The chess set is worth every penny and it's not really meant to be played on in my opinion. I have a video of it in my chess thread if you haven't seen it. Just screams quality. The Monopoly is only $40 so I'm not sure I agree with you there but value is different depending on perception I suppose. I passed on this collection because I thought there wasn't enough value in it for the price, after all.

Just not for me. I'm the type of collector that actually has to enjoy the stuff he collects. Unless it's a figure, art or something similar, I wouldn't buy it JUST to put it away. Not a fan of chess or monopoly so even at $40, that for a game I don't like isn't worth it to me. I'd only be selling for a higher price if I bought either of those things due to their rarity value increasing as time went on. This AC was worth it price wise to me as a collector since again, the SFx T total DLC cost was basically the exact same as the total collection and then you get all the other stuff with it. It's just that it fails as a 25th AC for SF and the fans.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD