My theory on how this new girl is the biggest

Number 13

We don't even know the story surrounding LC and people went apeshit after seeing a brief trailer of her lol. I'm pretty sure they had a similar reaction [not to the extent with how much escalation surrounding LC though] with Alisa back when she was announced. Hell anything 'anime' related is a negative stigma since I see Lars and Claudio commonly despised too.

Anyway, next character will have the biggest
hopes and dreams.

FatalxInnocence

The thing about the reaction of the tekken fanbase is half the roster is a joke. So I don't see why LC received such negative feedback. Tekken by far has the largest cast of farfetched characters... yet some Japanese obsessed girl is over-stepping the boundaries. Ok Tekken community, Ok.

Anyway back to mystery girl, I honestly don't care. She has pink hair, so however she turns out is awesome by me =P We got a purple haired girl, about time pink hair showed up! ( or pinkish... it's more Serah from FFXIII-2 hair colour but still! Pink tinges! )

Argentus

The thing about the reaction of the tekken fanbase is half the roster is a joke. So I don't see why LC received such negative feedback. Tekken by far has the largest cast of farfetched characters... yet some Japanese obsessed girl is over-stepping the boundaries. Ok Tekken community, Ok.

Anyway back to mystery girl, I honestly don't care. She has pink hair, so however she turns out is awesome by me =P We got a purple haired girl, about time pink hair showed up! ( or pinkish... it's more Serah from FFXIII-2 hair colour but still! Pink tinges! )
I think its more the fact that she was just blatantly cashing in on Marie Rose's popularity.

Doa_Eater

C'mon now people dont bring up Tekken, it really is a low point for the community since the standard level and target audience has been brought down to this level. You are going from the highest selling fighting game and competitive community to losing players in Korea and adding weak design characters and more idols.

This is going from tiger mask, hajime no ipo and every martial artist inspiration. And yes wooden oaks are used for training, you can domesticate a bear and kangaroos can get in a fight and it looks like they are boxing. Isn't that right Australia?

FatalxInnocence

Yes, i meant it as a straw that broke the camel's back reference. As pointed the ship sailed with Alisa and even previously with Asuka Lili and Xiayou. (What the hell was that movie about) All the other fighters are now dumb, senile or Mishimas.

Speak for yourself. My favourite Tekken character is Alisa, and prior to that it was Lili. People wonder why they're bringing our more characters like that, fact of the matter is- those characters are the most popular. Lili is the most popular female, and Alisa isn't too far behind. It's just the only people being vocal, are the people that hate their designs. More people like them than hate them, it's just they're less vocal.

Notice how as SOON as the hate for LC became known, Harada's twitter was flooded with "Don't listen to them! We want LC in the game!" hmm? I think it says enough personally. People just need to stop being so negative towards 1 character in a game with a much larger roster. If you don't like LC, fair go. However, don't run around demanding she be removed when there are others that like her. In my opinion, it's stupidly selfish. I hate so many characters, and not once have I went on a rage binge and started spamming the creators to remove said character. Just don't pick her/him. Problem solved.

Argentus

Speak for yourself. My favourite Tekken character is Alisa, and prior to that it was Lili. People wonder why they're bringing our more characters like that, fact of the matter is- those characters are the most popular. Lili is the most popular female, and Alisa isn't too far behind. It's just the only people being vocal, are the people that hate their designs. More people like them than hate them, it's just they're less vocal.

Notice how as SOON as the hate for LC became known, Harada's twitter was flooded with "Don't listen to them! We want LC in the game!" hmm? I think it says enough personally. People just need to stop being so negative towards 1 character in a game with a much larger roster. If you don't like LC, fair go. However, don't run around demanding she be removed when there are others that like her. In my opinion, it's stupidly selfish. I hate so many characters, and not once have I went on a rage binge and started spamming the creators to remove said character. Just don't pick her/him. Problem solved.
for the record, I only like Alisa because chainsaws.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
for the record, I only like Alisa because chainsaws.
For me, it was the fridge jokes and borderline yuri scenes with Xiaoyu in Blood Vengeance.

@Kronin: I think I may know why Chloe gets so much hate, and to an extent, understandably so. It's because her personality doesn't match her drive to fight at first glance compared to previous young female characters who were notably popular.

Lili is the daughter of a wealthy business tycoon. So wealthy in fact that it caught the Mishima Zaibatsu's attention, which made her family relevant. She was believably driven to fight because her father's business was being threatened as well as (possibly) her virginity, given the fact she was kidnapped. This similarly serious tone also applied to Asuka back when she was taken more seriously as a character in Tekken 5. But alas, both their storylines lost their sense of direction and aimed to make them rivals/lovers ever since.

Alisa was a robot created to be lethal, despite her looks. But that was how Dr. Bosconovich remembered his late daughter. So naturally, because she's a lethal robot, her cute looks get a pass.

By comparison, what we know (by far) about Chloe is that she's an ordinary human pop idol who isn't seriously driven to fight, given her bubbly personality. Maybe when her backstory is expanded upon, that may be the redeeming factor. But even with that said her costume looks uninspired and could be tacked on to any other female character (particularly Xiaoyu) in character customization with similar results. Where's the individuality? Where's the charisma? I dunno, I'm just not seeing it in this particular outfit. I couldn't help but think they could've done more. And I think folks are afraid once her story devolves like the other popular young female characters, she'll become an even bigger annoyance. I'm guessing that's what is rubbing most of her detractors the wrong way.

To keep this relevant to the topic at hand, I hope Team Ninja learns from this with this new upcoming character, and not make the same mistake they did with Hitomi, who potentially could've gone in a more serious direction that was originally intended in DOA3.

Doa_Eater

I agree with you. Lili is the most popular character on social media and casual outlets and then come all the other girls mentioned. These characters serve their purpose perfectly and take away the mainstream appeal that the game had and enjoyed as visible made by the charts and numbers that the series producer is proud of. Can these immensely popular characters bring the game to heyday peak and popularity when the game had only it's less popular characters as evident and even had an underage character that nobody cared then?

Lucky Chloe is just the Ron Paul meme.

Kronin

@Awesmic I will expose my opinion about, but like it was already said this isn't the right topic to talk about Tekken and we are just derailing the thread.

Personally I think that the reason because Lucky Chloe is hated is simply because very iconical of some stereotypes from the Japanese side related to anime. Cat outfits and headphones are something that appear cute to the JPN fandom and even popular (immediately recalling to them other iconical characters that here could be unknown), while in the West are appreciated overall from who like anime because otherwise they will be very likely considered ridicolous.

I think that it's overall this one the reason because Harada ended to be pissed, not just for an excessive disliking of a character seen for a minute, but because maybe interpreting the excessive bashing like something addressed to the culture of his country (like various comments that I read indeed were doing). Usually Japanese people are tolerant toward other and recognize cultural differences: he is not asking to people to like this character, but just to be tolerant toward it.

Maybe is she a gift for the otaku fandom? In the West is she not so appealing? (thing that by the way is not so true, for me Japan has still not well realized how much anime and manga ended to influence the foreigner countries, but maybe in Europe the situation is different from the U.S.A). Very well, Harada said that other fighters will join the roster - aka should meet the tastes of people that now are unsatsified of Lucky Chloe - so let's be patient, very likely some next ones will not appear so good for the people that now like Lucky Chloe and in the end everyone could be ale to get a favourite fighter according to his different tastes. The numbers of the Tekken community are not the ones of DoA where you can be sure that adding a new female will make glad the majority of the fandom: the community of Namco's game is much more large worldwide, Harada and his team are not stupid and they know very well that can't only offer things easily likeable for the East; Tekken 6 is not only made of Alisa or Zafina, what about the more Western Miguel and Bob (and even if Japan like ambiguous characters, Eleonor seems to me very "Westernish "for being compared to similar examples in other franchises)?

About Lucky Chloe's personality and/or charisma, these are things very subjective and so far are related to really few seconds. From a side we lack of a full picture and in any cases this is debatable only until a certain point considering how everyone has different preferences. I agree with you that with the years Tekken developed always more and more comical reliefs for the role of many characters, and in part I miss the more serious atmosphere of the old games: by the way I believe that this is a sign of the times that change, inevitably people are now more attracted from similar backgrounds (however to be fair I can't say if I would like to keep constantly a serious tone).

However I can find uniqueness in the character and it's was just this the reason because other people complained more just about her and not other characters released so far. While far from being the only "crazy" character of the roster, Lucky Chloe shows an Eastern anime influence that can't be seen in the other characters. Liking it or less, it's this her individuality and the side of her character that has to get the focus for making her distinguishable: it's not important if she can appear as a "generic human idol", it's this that make her not generic in the roster. People can debate about the reasons or less to get a such character, but IMO not that she is generic because is instead pretty unique in realtionship to the context of her series (again, not necessarily something because people have to be fond of, only a consideration). This is exactly the same situation of Marie Rose in DoA, a gothic lolita like you can see in XYZ JPN works (I'm talking only about her appearence), but that is surely a news for the DoA series: if something the problem is why to introduce a such character if then you are not expanding her vestiary with outfits owned from such stereotypes, but actually this is a problem that is suffered in a different extent from all the females charas that get overall generic fetish outfits.

In conclusion I see all this "Lucky Chloe Crysis" (XD) something truly exaggerate and that in the end will not make nothing more if not to give even more attention and popularity to her - so exactly the opposite of the purpose of her dislikers. She is included in the genre cute/sexy female characters and is not the only new character of the roster, liking it or disliking it simply move on for the "next challenger": I see more important to discuss about the mechanics of the game, including or less a character will not be your key factor that will make Tekken 7 a game to remember or one to forget (and of course the same is true for all the other fighting series).

And for who say that Lucky Chloe is the worst character ever done for a fighing game, just my opinion but for me she is pure gold compared to this guy (no offense for his fans):

Mokap-Mortal-Kombat-G3AR.jpg
:p

Last edited:

FatalxInnocence

The funny thing is, take off the paw jacket, give her a different hairstyle and I assure you people would be fine with Lucky Chloe. Also, Tekken has customization so that "bad design" will literally be non-existent once people start hitting customization. Not to mention "ok" designs go sour WHEN people start customizing. The amount of ridiculous customization's I come across is stupid. Yet people are complaining about "having to see LC" when they play when there is Jin's running around with a pink topknot in mis-matched clothing. Welcome to Tekken.

werewolfgold

The funny thing is, take off the paw jacket, give her a different hairstyle and I assure you people would be fine with Lucky Chloe. Also, Tekken has customization so that "bad design" will literally be non-existent once people start hitting customization. Not to mention "ok" designs go sour WHEN people start customizing. The amount of ridiculous customization's I come across is stupid. Yet people are complaining about "having to see LC" when they play when there is Jin's running around with a pink topknot in mis-matched clothing. Welcome to Tekken.
Yeah, I don't trust anyone with customization. I hate that everyone seems to want it so much for DOA. Not a fan of Lucky Chloe's design, but I'm pretty sure somebody will find a way to make it worse if they get their hands on it...

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
Yeah, I don't trust anyone with customization. I hate that everyone seems to want it so much for DOA.
I agree with this. Most customized outfits and characters in Tekken, Soulcalibur, and Virtua Fighter are usually just cosplay. Where's the originality in that? You can make this character look like anything you want, but instead, you want them to look like another fictional character? Pass. DOA5LR gives us the right amount of customization, and now it's even going to be more handy since we can see it from the character select screen.

Argentus

why do bad customizations bother people so much?
because it defeats the entire purpose of customizations.

I did not turn on Soul Calibur to fight Mario, The Hulk, or Solid Snake. It ruins it.

If DOA had customization before, all that would happen is people would do their best to run Kasumi into Mai, Tina into Blue Mary, Bass into Zangief, etc, etc.

They don't want customization, they want cosplay.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD