Need help

Rapham0n

This screams Christie. She is a paper tiger all the way. Easy to pick up, but also easy to develop bad habits with.

Since you said beginner character, I didn't recommend Akira. But in case you are ambitious, here are some of my videos of his offensive play style.

After unlocking the three Virtua Fighter characters I tried them all out and Akira just feels really slow to me. Even compared to Bayman and Bass. Akira feels like he's got 10 ton cement blocks tied to his arms and legs. The character is just too slow for my tastes. Sarah and Pai are closer to the speed I'm looking for. Especally Pai. I just don't find slow characters to be fun to use for me.

I'll give Christie a try and see how it goes.

On another note: what is up with Pai's holds? They do no damage (or they do about 1 point of damage). Is this a glitch? Also Sarah's throws do way too much damage for a non-grappler character. I've seen her throws do more damage than that of Bass. These VF characters seem broken IMHO. :(

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
After unlocking the three Virtua Fighter characters I tried them all out and Akira just feels really slow to me.
Did you watch those replays? He does have slow moves, but you set those up with his quick ones. No biggie though.

On another note: what is up with Pai's holds? They do no damage (or they do about 1 point of damage). Is this a glitch?

Her holds are used to set the opponent up for a flurry of strikes. She is left at a high advantage to pepper in her damage. She dishes out all her damage via strikes and juggles. She has like 1 damaging throw. The rest set up for a string of strikes.

Rapham0n

Did you watch those replays? He does have slow moves, but you set those up with his quick ones. No biggie though.

Akira's movements just feel very "blocky" and stiff to me. He has some pretty powerful hits no doubt, but controlling him feels like you're trying to steer a tank. :(

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Akira's movements just feel very "blocky" and stiff to me. He has some pretty powerful hits no doubt, but controlling him feels like you're trying to steer a tank. :(
His style is very unique in that a lot of his moves are single strikes. Very few strings.

Rapham0n

His style is very unique in that a lot of his moves are single strikes. Very few strings.

I've just recently completed all three of the Virtua Fighter characters command training, and I have to admit I find these Virtua Fighter characters to be much harder to use than the DOA characters. Their moves are more difficult to do and the timing on their moves is more strict as well. These Virtua Fighter characters really aren't my "cup of tea".

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Since you said beginner character, I didn't recommend Akira. But in case you are ambitious, here are some of my videos of his offensive play style.
Any tips for getting his GBoD down in either DOA5 or VF5FS? I can knee like it's nothing but getting the GBoD off is impossible for me. My biggest issue is the third part, :236::P:. I can do that motion any other time during the game but getting it to register on my stick after :4::3::P+K: isn't something I'm able to get down for some reason.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Any tips for getting his GBoD down in either DOA5 or VF5FS? I can knee like it's nothing but getting the GBoD off is impossible for me. My biggest issue is the third part, :236::P:. I can do that motion any other time during the game but getting it to register on my stick after :4::3::P+K: isn't something I'm able to get down for some reason.
Muscle memory. My problem on the :236::P: was that I wasn't completing the full quarter circle before hitting P. It was more like, :2::3::P:. My advice is when you're executing it, slow down your inputs to be very deliberate. You have more time than you think when performing the inputs.

Jaguar360

I've just recently completed all three of the Virtua Fighter characters command training, and I have to admit I find these Virtua Fighter characters to be much harder to use than the DOA characters. Their moves are more difficult to do and the timing on their moves is more strict as well. These Virtua Fighter characters really aren't my "cup of tea".
Yeah, they're generally considered harder. Try Christie, Kokoro, Hayate or Kasumi if you're still looking for that fast character that likes to strike.

Rapham0n

Thanks again to everyone for their input.

I have another character question though. This is for a friend of mine. I've finally managed to get my friend to try out DOA5. (This is his first DOA game). So I was hoping you guys could help me help him find a character that he might be interested in. (I don't know all of the characters well enough to give him any advice just yet.) So I asked him what kind of characters he likes when it comes to games like this and he said he likes: "fast characters who are hard-hitting, characters who don't feel stiff and characters who have a flowing fighting style."

I don't know exactly what he means by "flowing fighting style". My best guess is he means moves that easily and smoothly flow from one to the next. Which character(s) should I tell him to look into?

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Zack or Hitomi. Both fast and fluid striking characters. Zack's transitions between his sway and strikes leads me to lean more towards him.

Tenryuga

Offensive characters for beginners?

Kasumi, Hitomi, Hayate, Kokoro off the top of my head. I recommend Hayate because he is the one that requires the most fundamental skills to get wins with and thus by using him you will get a good feel for most aspects of DOA. He has a balanced moveset with quick strikes (although poor string mixup) and ranged combat capability so you will learn to develop footsies and proper spacing habits when using him more so than other beginner characters. He also has a special sidestep with good evasive capabilities but you have to make sure you use it at the right times if you don't want to be punished. He is also highly unsafe so this forces you to play smart and not like a fool. Otherwise you are getting throw punished all day long. His damage output is also really high and he has nice throws. His juggles are braindead easy as well; He only has one difficult one that isn't even necessary because it only does 5 points extra damage than his best combo. Both you and your friend should try Hayate out.

Hitomi would be my second choice. She is fairly safe, has good whiff punishment options and good strings. Her holds also do great damage and her punch parry is good for dealing with high / mid p pressure. She also has a throw that grants frame advantage so you can practice proper pressure techniques with her. Her juggles are also brain-dead easy and usually consist of launch > string. Since she has long strings beginners may be tempted to mash them out but good players will make sure you don't do that and punish you for it.

Kasumi is all out rushdown and is the character with the fastest initial pokes in the game (9 frame jab, 11 frame mid, 12 frame low punch.) Her range is poor and she is highly unsafe. If you choose her you will be learning how to use speed, free canceling and delays to aid your offense because that is key with her. Relying too much on strings will get you thrown and relying on pokes will make it easy for some characters to harass you. Her mixups come mostly from free canceling on a stunned opponent to get high counter throws or launchers. She has parries and does solid damage with her holds. Nothing too high unless its the advanced mid kick hold but her hold damage is solid enough. She has great throws to punish holds with though for a beginner (assuming you are new to fighting games) you are going to need some execution (timing and free canceling) to do the more damaging combos off the throws. The only reason she isn't my first or second choice for beginners is that since she is fast and can get stuns easily most beginners will develop bad habits like mashing out strings and attacking out of massive disadvantage and won't learn concepts of safety and punishment especially due to how terrible this games net-code is. People will argue the same can be said for Hitomi but I've run into more Kasumi players who fight like they have no damn sense than Hitomi players.

Kokoro has the most easy offense out of everybody I listed. She is safe and can open people up easily with her Heichu grab and 6P+K. She has good speed and tools in close and mid range. Her mid range tools allow her to do many things: Approach safely, start her own offense and whiff punish. Her flaws are that she is linear and has some slow launchers so you will have to use strong mixups in order to force your opponent to hold incorrectly so you can capitalize off of them which isn't difficult to do because she has some of the best mixups in the game. Her strings can easily push her through the threshold and bait holds. Combine that with free cancel mixups and you have an offensive beast. Kokoro requires just a bit more execution than the others because you need to free cancel in most of her juggles to maximize your damage output. It's nothing difficult at all though.

Brute

Standard Donor
To each their own, but Zack and Kokoro feel quite "stiff" to me.

I guess Hayate would be a good choice, too.

Bushido

Kokoro is great for beginners. Adding to what Tenryuga said, she can be quite flexible in terms of how she can be played. You can play her all out aggression, play her carefully and safely, and you can even space a bit and play her on whiff punishment. The only thing difficult is free cancelling 9P in some juggles.

Chapstick

I don't know exactly what he means by "flowing fighting style". My best guess is he means moves that easily and smoothly flow from one to the next. Which character(s) should I tell him to look into?
Ayane absolutely and Helena. Kasumi also seems 'flowy' to me with her hoshinpo dashes and teleports.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
It means that they don't have a lot of good tracking moves. Basically, the opponent can sidestep easily.

Chapstick

When people say that a character is "linear", what does this mean exactly?
They have very few moves that track (when a move tracks it hits even sidestepping opponents,) so you can sidestep pretty much everything they throw out. Kokoro and Eliot are two examples.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
I think the term "fluid" relates to how well you know a character. I actually get a lot of comments on how fluid I make Akira. He's supposed to be the most rigid character in most people's opinion.

If he hasn't picked a character yet, have him go through the command training of the characters he thinks he'd like to play. Have him find the one move that makes him go, "Hell yeah, that's my shit right there!" That's his character. I promise.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD