Ninja Gaiden 2 Thread

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
No ninja gaiden 2 thread so thought I'd make one

Applies to ninja gaiden sigma 2 as well

Great game. I say if you want the best of both worlds combine both games but take out the purple mist and keep the blood and take out the crowd of enemies ng2 had to keep the game running smoothly like sigma2. Any other adjustments you say should be made? Any one.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus did combine most of the best of both titles, but the engine suffered quite a bit. Framerate was playable but not NG-friendly sometimes.

Brute

Standard Donor
My question is why did they not come out with a blood patch for sigma2? It makes no sense.
Couldn't render it in 1080p with a smooth framerate, probably.

My ideal would be Sigma 2 with a few exceptions.
-NG2 (360) blood back (no mist at all)
-No statue bosses (they're just dumb and awkward)
-No "buffed" enemies (re-skinned bastards with a shitton of lives who refuse to de-limb)
-No Rachel segment (I'd be find with no Rachel at all, but as long as she's not required in the campaign, I'm fine)
-Red HUD scheme from NGII (fit with the blood)
-Enemy grab properties reverted to NG2 (360) form
-Enma's Fang looks like the Dabilharo
-Level 2 returns to the night time form found in the 360 version
-You can put the goddamn bow away (so it's not always on your back)
-Any character can be selected in any level in Chapter Challenge
-Ayane and Momiji get Ryu's head pounce.
-Some hit reaction on enemies fixed
-Removal of the stupid Bone boss and Armadillo completely
-DOA Throwback costume for Ryu (the one from NG: Black and I think NGS2+)
-Ryu's appearance returns to its NG2 (360) form (the Sigma 2 version is too overkill)

And there. NG2 in its ultimate form.

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
^^

NGS2 don't run at 1080p plus they could easily render the blood for sigma 2 with smooth framerate

I would have to disagree with you with NGS2 overkill appearance, he just has more textures and is more detailed which is better

Brute

Standard Donor
NGS2 don't run at 1080p plus they could easily render the blood for sigma 2 with smooth framerate
According to the back of the box and the info display on my monitor it does.

I would have to disagree with you with NGS2 overkill appearance, he just has more textures and is more detailed which is better
They made his eyes look bioluminescent and yellow-y, whereas I liked the deep green. They made his eyebrows so fucking arched it looks like he's perpetually constipated. They also made his skin look super glow-y and red, and they also seemed to beef-up his head crest so that it's very vertical and doesn't quite sit right on his scalp.

So for those reasons, I prefer the NG2 model.

SilverForte

-No "buffed" enemies (re-skinned bastards with a shitton of lives who refuse to de-limb)
-No Rachel segment (I'd be find with no Rachel at all, but as long as she's not required in the campaign, I'm fine)
-Ryu's appearance returns to its NG2 (360) form (the Sigma 2 version is too overkill)

You forgot a few things:

Bring back the Incendiary kunai and windmill shuriken.
Limited ammo for projectiles
Bow UT
Enemy waves from NG2
Tests of Valor
Muramasa shops like they are in NG2

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
According to the back of the box and the info display on my monitor it does.

They made his eyes look bioluminescent and yellow-y, whereas I liked the deep green. They made his eyebrows so fucking arched it looks like he's perpetually constipated. They also made his skin look super glow-y and red, and they also seemed to beef-up his head crest so that it's very vertical and doesn't quite sit right on his scalp.

So for those reasons, I prefer the NG2 model.

idk your tv settings probably messed up because his eyes look green and his skin colour dont glow for me lol

btw no games this generation actually run at true 1080p, they are upscaled

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
You are very, very wrong. Please use Google. Quite a few games run at native 1080p on consoles. Let's keep it to NG chat though.

Brute

Standard Donor
idk your tv settings probably messed up because his eyes look green and his skin colour dont glow for me lol
btw no games this generation actually run at true 1080p, they are upscaled
I've run it on multiple monitors and seen YT videos of other peoples plays and on other people's TVs. Always the same.
Also yes, yes they do.

You forgot a few things:

Bring back the Incendiary kunai and windmill shuriken.
Limited ammo for projectiles
Bow UT
Enemy waves from NG2
Tests of Valor
Muramasa shops like they are in NG2
I'm actually fine with incendiary shuriken being limited to Ayane, and would rather have that limitation than limited projectiles again. I always hated backtracked to make sure I had full arrows and whatnot. Regarding the bow UT, I could take it or leave it. Personally, I just don't like ranged weapons (save shurikens) at all, so the more neglected they are, the better for me. Regarding the waves, I liked a lot of them, but a few (IS ninjas & ghost fish) got on my nerves. IS ninjas just forced me to use cheap spammy tactics and ghost fish just lasted forever.

Muramasa shops? 100% agree. I forgot how stupid the system is in Sigma 2. But yeah, weapon upgrades are always available and cost essence, and essence is more scarce like it was back in NG2 (360).

I did not mind rachel in sigma2. She was eye candy but If she is not their Im ok as well. I say keep her in the team missions. I say bring back all weapons from Sigma 1 just to have a variety.
Now What Im about to say may make some of you hate me but its just my opinion. I say make enemies throws escapable. Is it just me or is that all the game does on master difficulty? make it hard though, as in you have five frames to break it. I also say if a boss is going to do a throw it cancels out his/her ironmanning/double armor. If any of you dont know what ironmanning means play marvel vs capcom1 and pick gold war machine and you will know what I mean.

Brute

Standard Donor
I did not mind rachel in sigma2. She was eye candy but If she is not their Im ok as well. I say keep her in the team missions. I say bring back all weapons from Sigma 1 just to have a variety.
Now What Im about to say may make some of you hate me but its just my opinion. I say make enemies throws escapable. Is it just me or is that all the game does on master difficulty? make it hard though, as in you have five frames to break it. I also say if a boss is going to do a throw it cancels out his/her ironmanning/double armor. If any of you dont know what ironmanning means play marvel vs capcom1 and pick gold war machine and you will know what I mean.
Many throws are actually escapable in NG2. Just depends on the throw and how fast you mash it out.
In sigma 2 they are a bit too grab-happy for my tastes, especially with the one-hit-kill grab system they have, especially with certain enemies (I'm looking at you Alexei).

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
Well fuck me again, 3rd time my NGS2 gamesave went corrupt *sigh* just when I was getting back into it, it decided to push me away lol

Many throws are actually escapable in NG2. Just depends on the throw and how fast you mash it out.
In sigma 2 they are a bit too grab-happy for my tastes, especially with the one-hit-kill grab system they have, especially with certain enemies (I'm looking at you Alexei).
Im talking about when the throw connects you have the chance to escape the throw from the beginning without taking any damage. I am talking about from bosses as well. When Liz gets stunned it is crazy stupid how fast she throws out of that stun. That is the only boss you have to be afraid to hit when stunned because she comes up randomly and insanely fast throwing. Every other boss you can see coming a mile away.

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
MN3 - messed up on Alexi and FG though was a good run considering it was with a random person

Kronin

I know that Ninja Gaiden 2 is almost unanimously considered inferior to the first game mainly because the battles with the enemies are based on a lucky factor (in a certain degree, off course). Contrarily to DoA4, where I know what the players mean when they are talking about unguaranteed situations, I never understand the reasons for it behind Ninja Gaiden 2. Someone could explain this to me?

PS: yeah, this is a very noob question... XD

Brute

Standard Donor
I know that Ninja Gaiden 2 is almost unanimously considered inferior to the first game mainly because the battles with the enemies are based on a lucky factor (in a certain degree, off course). Contrarily to DoA4, where I know what the players mean when they are talking about unguaranteed situations, I never understand the reasons for it behind Ninja Gaiden 2. Someone could explain this to me?

PS: yeah, this is a very noob question... XD
Well, not exactly. A lot of NG players consider NG3 and/or RE to be inferior because of the luck factor. NG2 only has a few parts I feel like I need a bit of luck to get past, and even then other players don't (for example, the Drunken Skeleton seems inconsistent and unreliable to me, making it difficult to fight him effectively. same goes for armadillos).

Aside from some personal preference things (hub world vs linear maps, good secrets/unlocks vs none, etc.) NG2 is considered inferior to 1 by many largely because it lacks polish. In some ways it feels over-ambitious and is unable to deliver on what it aspires to. Where you may be hearing that it involves luck is in regard to enemy behavior. Werewolves, Van Gelfs, etc. can randomly ignore your attack strings and start-up un-interruptable grabs. IN NG1, only a few enemies have attacks like that, and most won't show visible hit reaction normally (whereas Van Gelfs/Werewolves do). The bosses are also just poorly designed. For example, Alexei can spam his grab instant-kill move 1000x without quitting, and it's a totally safe move that you can't do anything about but dodge and hope he stops (though hoarding a wall helps).

The camera is also considerably worse and more of a pain, and interferes with gameplay frequently. The pacing and learning curve of the game is strange (in Black it's great, though steep, but feels gradual). NG2 also had that projectile problem. Incendiary shuriken spams are just bullshit. Can you get out of them without relying on luck? Yes. Is it hard? Yes. Is it fun? No. Does it feel cheap, like someone didn't carefully think out what's hard but fair? Yes. But even so, it feels far more fair to me than the majority of unreliable/unpredictable crap in RE.

Long story short, NG1 was just more methodical. Everything was so refined and worked like it should. NG2 tried very hard to be cool and largely succeeded, but in doing so made some things that tipped the balance of the game from an ideal form.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD