Ninja Gaiden franchise weapon tier list

What's the most powerful weapon in franchise history?

• Total voters

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
This is going to be separate from normal weapon discussion so try to keep your posts solely on ranking your own list and why or discussing each others' lists. I may merge the two threads together if I notice too many similarities in discussions.

Anyway, this thread is going to be for our own power rankings for weapons and NOT based on lore. Purely based on how powerful the weapons themselves are when used in-game. Let's go with a top five for the sake of consistency, shall we? Here's mine to get things rolling:

1) Unlabored Flawlessness

This one is number one for me with the caveat that it is being used with flashing red runes (5% health). Forward>Strong Attack one shots most enemies in the game, a full UT will insta-kill almost anything in the game, and it has an abundance of moves with i-frames. You can also jump and start an air combo with it which is particularly useful against Gogohn. Just based on sheer power and ease of use this out-classes all other weapons in franchise history.

2) Kusari-gama from Razor's Edge

The KG was decent in NG2 but not terribly powerful. That all changed in Razor's Edge and that's mostly due to the return of OTs and the re-tooled Steel on Bone system. It has the chance to instantly de-limb (and then OT) Alchemists ( [Strong] then release before UT charge), can grab enemies from a pretty solid distance for the instant kill, and Strong Strong Strong is one of the most useful crowd control attacks in the game with a ton of invincibility and coverage on all sides of Ryu. The weapon also has the abillity to start an Izuna from the greatest height in the game, granting you a reprieve from the chaos below on higher difficulties and clearing the area upon impact just like all other weapons. I could talk for hours about how awesome this weapon is and it's the best weapon in Razor's Edge for Ryu hands-down.

3) Shrouded Moon

Kasumi's level three or red UT. Enough said. Just to give a few more reasons, though, she seems to find empty space much less interesting than the other characters when trying to chain SoB, can re-position mid-combo with multiple strings to get clear of bad situations, and has a high de-limb rate with her basic strings and decent i-frames. Lastly, despite it being a skill, since it is unique to Kasumi and Shrouded Moon I'm going to include this here: Ukifune. It eats enemies, all forms of Alchemists included, alive (for a very brief period before they, well, aren't).

4) Lunar

This weapon has been a powerhouse in every game it has been in which, thanks to Hurricane Pack 1, has been all of them. Very strong hitting power, high de-limb rate in the games that include the feature, crowd control moves, Izuna from both ground and aerial strings, and very powerful UTs make this one a staple in my armory no matter which game I'm playing. The fact that it does not have chainable SoB in Razor's Edge hurts a bit but there's no denying this thing has always been an incredibly powerful weapon in each game.

5) True Dragon Sword

It HURTS me to put this so low on my list. I'd love it to be number one but we haven't really gotten to use its full power since the first game. Even still it deserves a spot in my top five. In NG/Black, you felt significantly more powerful immediately upon receiving the weapon. Your strings were longer, you had more moves with i-frames, you had incredibly powerful attacking strength, and the True Dragon Gleam is still my favorite UT in the franchise. The standard UT was definitely no slouch, either. Had a worthy version been included in Razor's Edge, complete with SoB chaining and some new tricks, this weapon very likely would have been number one for me.

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
1) Dabilahro

2) Dual Katanas (NG2)

3) UF

4) Lunar

5) Kitetsu or however you spell it lol

I say the dual swords in ninja gaiden sigma1. The damage they put out and how fast they were. The archfiend blades for sigma2 were good because of the amount of I frames and the fact it could keep any boss pinned down and keep them from countering me, but the damage was not as good as the dual swords were in sigma1. In sigma3/razors edge they sucked ass but then again razors edge is not as good as the first two. A second place hands down is a weapon I am surprised is not on the list. It is the tonfas from sigma2. Why they were not brought back is beyond me but I love that weapon.

Last edited:

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Ahem. Lists, people. Weapon discussion is that way...

Tonfas aren't on the list because they rely on UT chaining a bit too much. That is why I put an Other option though.

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
I wouldn't say the dual swords were bad in razors edge, their UT was one of the best hands down.

The dual katanas are a pile of turd compared to ng2

They barely do any damage and its Foward T was removed and the TTTT got changed to some crappy long string

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
1) Eclipse Scythe.in NG2 this weapon killed anything in my path,it's first because it's the only weapon i ever stopped using because it made the game too easy.

2)TDS the term "Keep It Simple Stupid" comes to mind and it doesn't get more basic than this.a great balance of offense deffense and any other nse's this weapon will hold its own in just about any situation.

3)Kitetsu if only this had the same power as the TDS,but alas it doesn't.once again it stays relatively simple but if you play right you'll find yourself walking out with more health than when you went in without having to rely on lady luck giving you blue essence.

4)Dabilhro makes short work of anything bigger than you and even shorter work of anything the same size add on to that an instant kill counter and you have one very powerful weapon.the only thing holding it back is its speed which is still 10x faster than those shitty pincer blades from MGS Rising lol...sorry off topic.

5)Lunar wide reach sweeps and guard breaks, make this weapon extremely valuable enabling you to give out constant pressure and damage from a relatively safe distance.i would put this higher on the list,but in NG2 and NG3 it just doesn't feel right anymore i can only use it in NG1.

keep in mind i don't use some weapons and i hardly play NG3 so this list is comprised from NG2 and NG1 weapons.

The dual katanas are a pile of turd compared to ng2

They barely do any damage and its Foward T was removed and the TTTT got changed to some crappy long string
Very true. I would say it was a crowed control weapon in Sigma2. You cant even do an izuna drop on Genshin with them like you could in sigma2.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I would agree with Cyber Evil's list, but I would take out the Shrouded Moon because it doesn't seem very effective against a plethora of bosses. It eats enemies alive, but it can't always get the job done.

I'm replacing the Shrouded Moon with the Eclipse Scythe. This weapon is definitely casual friendly because it's one of those weapons that's going to kill stuff no matter how much you suck. In Ninja Gaiden 2 it was definitely my savior up against bosses; infact, most bosses could be dissected in mere seconds with the thing so why would I use anything else? Ryu is carrying it on the box art for a reason. I can not tell you how many foes I decapitated by accident with this beast of a weapon.

In Razor's Edge, it's not as OP in my opinion, but that's only because it's not quite as accessible, but it's damn close; and it's a great weapon to have beefed up for your trials.

While not many people have voted yet, it's safe to say that everyone has their own pick for best weapon, and this says a lot about Team Ninja's skill at balancing out weapons.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
Yeah,I actually found it pretty funny when I saw several different reviews who talked about all the weapons choices and said why add all of these when "blank" was the best one,they all picked different ones.

Brute

Standard Donor
1) Unlabored Flawlessness: Anyone who's actually used this thing properly doesn't need an explanation of why it deserves this spot.

2) Eclipse Scythe: This gets a spot because it was amazing in NG2 and still is in RE. The jump XY combo was an insane boss-killer back in the day, it had one of the most unique and useful UTs, insanely easy delimbs, a wicked flying swallow, good reach and damage, etc. In NG3 I find it's overall weaker, HOWEVER it is still a very useful and powerful weapon, has the best (imo) Steel on Bone and its 360-Y B.S. grants it bonus points.

3) Lunar Staff: Mainly due to its NG2 iteration. In that game, it was literally the go-to weapon for 90% of situations. Good de-limbs, two killer UTs, good sweep/range, easy-to-connect Izunas and one of the most reliable boss-killing chains in the game. In RE it provides safe combos with consistent iframes, though you do have to be aware of its pathetic Steel on Bone.

4) Kusari-gama: This would be higher on the list from RE but its NG2 version is a bit lackluster. Not bad, just outclassed. In RE though, a whole 'nother story. Insane SoB, an oddly effective Izuna, good crowd control, etc. makes it a must-have in humanoid enemy fights.

5) Falcon's Talons: In NG2, fighting I.S. ninjas on MN became ten thousand times easier after I switched to the Jump Forward YXY combo. In Re, it gets the bonus of dash-cancels (which, given Ryu's recovery frames from attacks with other weapons in NG3, is quite handy) at the expense of its former god-like move. It may not actually deserve this spot, but I've always been an avid user of the weapons and so I know when I how they can be used to amazing effect.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD