NOT A BUG: Alerts Not Alerting

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Alerts seem to randomly stop working. Also, threads I post in either are not being auto-followed or the follow itself is getting removed. Happens in the latest Chrome build, IE9, my tablet running Android 4.0.4 (with my UA String set to both Android and Desktop), and my phone (Android 2.3 and 4.0, depending on the day). Right now they aren't working for me and certain threads I've replied to are no longer watched. This happened before and it randomly started working again.

No clue what's going on.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I believe this may be a xenforo bug as I get the same issue on Shoryuken but haven't figured out the root cause. Also check your spam folder to see if email alerts are being sent there as I noticed mine were. I'll look into this on the xf forums.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I disabled email alerts, so I'm referring specifically to the site based ones. They're all the same system I'm guessing but figured I'd make the distinction.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Upon researching this issue it seems this is by design for XenForo. If you are notified of an alert for a watched thread update but don't go to it, then it won't notify you again of further replies until you visit the thread.

XenForo Support said:
+As designed.

Alerts stop when you had an alert for a specific thread ... but didn't visit it. When there are more replies .... you don't get an alert because you ignored the first one !

== To get the alerts back ==
Click on watched threads. http://www.freestepdodge.com/watched/threads
click on all the threads in there.

The next time someone replies to a thread you are watching ... you'll get an alert.

I think this is a good thing, not a bad thing ... but it does surprise people. I was surprised by this behaviour ... but I do think it is the best way ... as the threads you no longer visit ... stop alerting you. You don't really ever have to unwatch a thread !

Hope that helps !!!

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD