Official DoA5U Pai thread

Yea after hearing about the loss of FT its really upsetting to say the least. With no return of the 66h+k bound a nerf to 2p what is there for Pai now other than speed and some minimal mixup from her stances (which in all honesty, are predictable based on the current depth of the stun). I like Pai too much to want to drop her, but I don't know how much I'll be using her in ultimate.

Allan Paris

No one ever complained about it. No one thought it was cheap or broken. All it did was give us juggling options on heavy weights, which is something we desperately need. Yeah, it gave us a few more points of damage in our other combos, too, but seriously - who considers Pai a powerhouse anyways?

Well, on the PSN I had players going nuts over the move. I don't know what made them remove it but I did have players complaining about it, the ones that played me of course. I wasn't even called by my psn id. I was called "The Guy That Does The Neverending Combos/Juggles". Ahhh, the fun times when making 2 critical mistakes against me got you fucked for damn near your life bar (for free) and please don't get caught next to a wall......

I don't see her getting worse in this game. It sounds like you'll have to fight just as hard as with her in 5u. Hopefully properties get reworked and she picks up a new toy with a previous move. I'll be looking out for you guys to show me something.

Codemaster92163

That's what I'm hoping for, too. I have to wonder, though, why they would remove Pai's 66H+K yet leave in Akira's absurdly long floats ("just frame" kick aside). If, as some people had speculated, the purpose was to reduce the potency of her 24T juggles, they could have just made it so it wouldn't connect after BT 4K, but instead they made it useless after every launch.

Still, I think I've complained about its removal for long enough. If they made 46H+K bounce a tad higher and removed its wall splat, she could potentially feel like her old self again, but even better thanks to her improved ground game courtesy of 1.3

But you're right - I can't see her getting worse, either. I see others getting better, though, and if she stays the same, it's comparable to a minor nerf. But as usual, I'll be posting everything I know as soon as I find it out, and hopefully there's stuff to find. I hope you guys will do the same. Few of us play Pai, so we might as well help out our fellow players when we can.

XxSakuraLuvaxX

I guess with all these nerfs Pai still has the advantage of being a VF character, so people will not really know her moves unless they play VF or Pai herself.

Codemaster92163

I love that hair; not gonna lie.

And from what I know, while her moves are all the same, the properties of said moves as well as the combos she has are different. It's one thing to familiarize yourself with her arsenal, but another thing entirely to learn the character by playing a different game.

If you wanna use her in this, I recommend just using her in this.

synce

I guess with all these nerfs Pai still has the advantage of being a VF character, so people will not really know her moves unless they play VF or Pai herself.

Sadly that may be all she has going for her in 5U.... Her current juggles are already shit, can you imagine having to deal with a bigger lifebar and no force tech?? She better get the full benefits of the new VF bound

And yes DOA Pai is nothing like VF Pai, but that may change IF she gets that bound.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
The reason they nerfed her 66h+k is because regardless of the height and timing of juggle she got the same damn max damage combo.. which kinda goes against the games risk/reward system (long critical =longer or more damaging juggle.. and vice versa)

I honestly think shes a powerhouse the way she is now.. great speed and great frames and one mean mix up..

She doesnt really need anything if u ask me...

Tokkosho

Considering they're upping the health again I say 66H+K needs to return. I don't even care if they take 46H+K away (make it a launcher tho) as long as 66H+K returns with NO wall hit. Yes, that does sound quite nice.

Codemaster92163

The reason they nerfed her 66h+k is because regardless of the height and timing of juggle she got the same damn max damage combo.. which kinda goes against the games risk/reward system (long critical =longer or more damaging juggle.. and vice versa)

I honestly think shes a powerhouse the way she is now.. great speed and great frames and one mean mix up..

She doesnt really need anything if u ask me...

A max damage combo for her is a normal combo for most other characters.

Without it now (and the soon-to-be-removed FT she has), we're stuck with a drawn-out poke/throw game. Granted she has great pokes and very nice throws, but our highest potential for damage now lies in keeping the opponent on their feet, not necessarily launching them (and that will be even truer once our FT is gone and they keep 66H+K the way it is).

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
A max damage combo for her is a normal combo for most other characters.

Without it now (and the soon-to-be-removed FT she has), we're stuck with a drawn-out poke/throw game. Granted she has great pokes and very nice throws, but our highest potential for damage now lies in keeping the opponent on their feet, not necessarily launching them (and that will be even truer once our FT is gone and they keep 66H+K the way it is).

Guys,
She (and everyone else) are losing the juggle force tech ... yes..

But, from what I hear, they're adding some more untechable knockdown juggles for the whole cast ... so ... in a way the pressure game Vs. a downed opponent might not be as bad as we think.. (not to mention that down forcetechs are still in )

I'm just speculating right now so don't quote me on anything just yet ..
but I'm pretty sure Pai will be fine.

Codemaster92163

I'm not saying she won't be fine. Most of us agree that's she's in a pretty decent position at the moment. But they shifted all of the focus from her juggle potential onto her stun-game, which most people would say is a bad thing.

I don't think she's bad, but if they at least gave us 66H+K again, we could have our comparatively low damage output coupled with her speed/stuns/juggling to potentially be on par with the rest of the VF cast (and Lei). I don't think they should be nerfed to bring them down to where everyone else is, but people should get appropriate buffs to bring them up to their level.

We're all just speculating here, you and I both, so don't worry. And like I said, I'm not freaking out about whether she'll be bad/good/whatever, but all of us here would really appreciate the reimplementation of our old juggles (granted they should remove the ability to use it after 24T).

Codemaster92163

Fun fact, by the way. Some of you probably know, but I always figured the move was trash because of the absurdly long recovery animation on it, so I never tested it out.

But, her :4::P::+::K: at a wall (her wall climbing kick) is ONLY -2 frames, and hitting them at max distance is, surprisingly, +1. That is the LEAST obvious safe move in the game. I always wondered why people just stood there waiting for me to recover. I honestly thought it was just because they were dumbfounded that she even had that kick - as most people are.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
It took me a while. Took VF to do it, but I'm going to play her this time around.

HoodsXx

Her 46H+K needs to be a restand. There should be no reason it shouldn't be one. If Jacky can keep his as can Sarah. Pai should have hers as well ffs....

mpgeist

Standard Donor
Has anyone gone through her combo challenge? How do you do the 9th one? I can't get the 33PK to hit at the end.

Codemaster92163

It's really, really annoying. You have to cancel :3::P::K: as fast as you can, do an incredibly short burst dash forwards, then use it. Took me a few minutes for it to hit.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD