Online multiplayer is a complete disappointment

AngryWorm

I've been an online warrior and defending DOA4 online for a long time. Then I got frustrated always having asterisk beside all my accomplishments and have since started experimenting around with offline .

I was perfectly okay with DOA4 online, but DOA5 online just isn't very enjoyable. That's my perspective as a DOA4 online hero, and occasional offline player.

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
DOA4 online was unplayable for me especially once I started attending offline sessions. DOA5 is actually more playable online for me than 4, but that isn't saying much. DOA5 online needs to be fixed big time. It's at the point I'm running into people who lag in Rank WORSE than how the game runs in lobbies(which is leaving me to stop playing rank matches) and that's pretty freakin' bad. A lot of the higher ranks only seem to be higher because there lag(definitely doesn't come from skill). It's bad when you're forced to adapt to lag just to win because then you're not learning to better yourself at all since you're force to not play the game right.

Even worse when you run into bad connections on a already bad netcode. If your internet sucks(and I'm sure you know it) why are you on this game?

akhi216

Standard Donor
Return of the Shadow said:
Even worse when you run into bad connections on a already bad netcode. If your internet sucks(and I'm sure you know it) why are you on this game?
This. I've literally cursed people the whole match for lagging. Why enter ranked matches when ypu know you lag?

DrDogg

All this bickering is laughable, and IMO this is why people don't take the DOA community seriously. I play games to (gasp) have fun. My buddies and I set up private rooms and all 6 of us play, and 95% of the time we don't have serious lag and our holds, and moves all work as expected.
Would I like an improved net code, yes because I'm no fool and I understand that it could be better, but I'm not going to insult people who are enjoying the game despite the netcode not being perfect.
Calling people noobs or implying people's skill level must be low because they enjoy plaing online as it is isn't nessiary.
Team Ninja is working on it so we'll see how it works post patch.
As far as tournaments go, I live in Louisiana and plan on going to Final Round and (if the wife allows me) to EVO, so if DOA 5 is playable at those tournaments I'll play there so I'm sorry is having a life outside of gaming is a "bullshit excuse" to some people.
Get it together people.

There's a difference between enjoying online and saying the online is good. Anyone can have fun in bad netcode, especially if they're not a competitive player. I would have no issues with people saying they enjoy the netcode despite how lackluster it is.

The point is that not a single person here who claims the netcode is poor is incorrect. How good you see the netcode is directly related to your level of skill and how experienced you are playing the game offline. Once again, that's not an opinion, it's a simple fact.

Now if people want to think that we're yelling at them or that we hate them, oh well, that's on those people. I'm not mad at anyone and I'm certainly not sitting here yelling at anyone. I'm simply stating the facts, and some of you are deciding for yourselves that I'm yelling, mad or just plain bossy. I'd have the same opinion if I told you the sky was blue while you kept saying that it's aquamarine.

Then you have people like Awesomic who just add flame to the fire and pretend like they're not.

Now, if you're not an offline player, that's perfectly fine. But don't post here (a predominantly competitive/offline forum), and wonder why you're posts aren't getting the respect you think they deserve. To the average casual player, the online in DOA5 might be acceptable. However, to the competitive player, it is not. This is simply not up for debate.

Please, don't forget to turn off the light, and shut the door.

This comment is far more insulting than anything I've said in this thread.

MasterHavik

Wow.....Snoop Dr.Dogg laying the truth and keeping it real. I mean I'm going to be stick with online for the next two months in college until I can go back to Chicago to play some DOA offline.

FakeSypha

This. I've literally cursed people the whole match for lagging. Why enter ranked matches when ypu know you lag?
A good connection on both sides is meaningless if you're separated by long distances. So, cursing the "other guy" for lagging may be inaccurate. For instance, you could be playing with a guy from Japan wit the best connection known to man and still have lagfest. If you know people is from your very same country and still lag like hell, then... curses should be put in the air, lol.

@DrDogg. While you're 100% correct about the netcode being crap (not doing a groundbreaking discovery here, tho...), you could have less of that attitude, you know? It's not like people will get offended or anything, but saying it in the way you put it isn't particularly healthy for a community (if you expect to grow, and thus have more offline attenders). Chill out, man. TeamNinja already said it will fix the netcode.

Zeo

Does anyone else have doubts about the coming patch really fixing the netcode? I don't want to be pessimistic but I'm honestly having trouble getting my hopes up. The lobby glitch, language problem, exorcist heads even all seem like easy fixes but to actually improve the netcode, to the point where the online would not only be playable but to a good extent? It just seems too good to be true and I'm not seeing it happening.

KOFXIII's patch didn't do squat, SCV's patches consistently made the game worse and Capcom... no example needed but let's just say I'm not exactly used to people actually getting what they want. Realistically? Here's my take on the patch. After it's implimented people will start seeing maybe a little less lag and possibly a few frames less delay in their games if any at all, but the overall experience will be the same. The only big difference will be the lack of bugs, as they are too numerous and jarring to ignore.

Rubedood

Does anyone else have doubts about the coming patch really fixing the netcode? I don't want to be pessimistic but I'm honestly having trouble getting my hopes up. The lobby glitch, language problem, exorcist heads even all seem like easy fixes but to actually improve the netcode, to the point where the online would not only be playable but to a good extent? It just seems too good to be true and I'm not seeing it happening.

KOFXIII's patch didn't do squat, SCV's patches consistently made the game worse and Capcom... no example needed but let's just say I'm not exactly used to people actually getting what they want. Realistically? Here's my take on the patch. After it's implimented people will start seeing maybe a little less lag and possibly a few frames less delay in their games if any at all, but the overall experience will be the same. The only big difference will be the lack of bugs, as they are too numerous and jarring to ignore.

Yeah pretty much. I'm too skeptical about nowadays video game companies living up to their promises. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
So basically, the moral of the thread is don't be too vocal about the online being playable before the patch, or face the wrath of an angry mob and get lynched.

Well, ChrisArmoun and Nightpup... as your only friend you got here (since everyone else seems to hate you guys at this point) I dunno what to tell you guys except play it safe. It ain't worth being vocal at this point.

You've said too much, Now I HATE you.

I'm a bit skeptical how much good they can do with a patch being thrown together so fast and, to my understanding, they've only got like one guy who works on netcode. That said, they are clearly going through the trouble of paying for a patch deployment to get the issue fixed... so I believe that they believe it will help.

I hope it does. Right now it's more of an issue of talent and less of intention. They want it to work.

Zeo

I hope it does. Right now it's more of an issue of talent and less of intention. They want it to work.
That's always the first step, I hope they keep that way of thinking. There may be hope for the game's online yet.

akhi216

Standard Donor
FakeSypha said:
A good connection on both sides is meaningless if you're separated by long distances. So, cursing the "other guy" for lagging may be inaccurate. For instance, you could be playing with a guy from Japan wit the best connection known to man and still have lagfest. If you know people is from your very same country and still lag like hell, then... curses should be put in the air, lol.

Exactly, hence why the people who live in the US get a piece of my mind when they lag and my UK buddy doesn't.

Zeo said:

Good question. As long as we're able to block standing, block low, and use holds on reaction I'd say they did their job.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
OK, since my name got brought up...

@DrDogg. While you're 100% correct about the netcode being crap (not doing a groundbreaking discovery here, tho...), you could have less of that attitude, you know? It's not like people will get offended or anything, but saying it in the way you put it isn't particularly healthy for a community (if you expect to grow, and thus have more offline attenders). Chill out, man. TeamNinja already said it will fix the netcode.
I already made that suggestion earlier. But he decided to lead on TheTHCGamer and company for folks to have thicker skin. Lo' and behold, ChrisArmoun responded exactly as I predicted, which I was trying to prevent in the first place. I didn't want a second "Emperor Cow vs. Dogg" scenario blowing up in everyone's face again. But since it was too late, I just gave up trying, 'cause just as everyone got on Emperor Cow's case in the past, there was nothing I could do here but watch everyone do their worst to said party.

DrDogg, if you were a lot less condescending and wasn't so stubborn to reassure you weren't trying to be that way in the first place, there wouldn't have been a match to trigger the flames, and I wouldn't have to say anything crazy to "fuel" them, so to speak. To clarify, this was my one and only problem here in this thread. That, and the assumption Blau made about me from earlier. I'm aware of all the bugs and glitches and shit online and want them addressed as much as the next guy, but at the same time, I'm happy just being able to play some smooth matches online for the time being in a new game that I genuinely like with my usual, and if even that can be improved on, so be it. I may be wild and crazy at times, but that doesn't make me any less caring about the online element of this game. I address complaints my own way.

But back to my main issue. You knew the guy showed mild signs of hostility in his posts, and you didn't even bother to try despite my giving you an opportunity - no, two opportunities - to at least calm him down a little yourself. Had you at least did that, I probably would've followed the rest of the crowd and had less sympathy for those who continued to misunderstand your perspective. But that's the thing, you didn't, and no one else did either. So I made crazy posts in kind. What's done is done, and you led on several people here to make ChrisArmoun and Nightpup feel as bad as possible. I can tell these guys are NOT a case like UnderX with the whole character customization frenzy. They can be reasoned with if you're just a little nicer.

Now I don't know if it'll be easy, but I will try to convince them you're not a prick when I get the chance, if only because you at least tried to explain yourself now, though you could've prevented that misunderstanding a few pages ago instead of leading on others to make whatever assumption about you. Again, I'm only saying all this because you brought my name up.

Obligatory TL;DR version:

ChrisArmoun and Nightpup seemed to be treated unfairly to me regarding the topic, I tried to hint at DrDogg he was a bit too condescending, he led on others to tell them to get thicker skin, ChrisArmoun replied as I predicted much to my dismay, I made crazy posts in kind thinking this was the point of no return, DrDogg then explained himself later and brought my name up resulting in this wall of text, I'm happy now, I'm willing to explain to them he's not a prick and understand his perspective better because I believe they're more reasonable than some people I know.

I've said my piece, screw what everyone else thinks, moving on.

MasterHavik

If the patch makes online better, the next job is make all the ninjas low tier. That is my dream DOA people. Fuck the ninjas and a super fuck you to Kasumi a.k.a the super ninja Mary sue.

TheTHCGamer

OK, since my name got brought up...

I already made that suggestion earlier. But he decided to lead on TheTHCGamer and company for folks to have thicker skin. Lo' and behold, ChrisArmoun responded exactly as I predicted, which I was trying to prevent in the first place. I didn't want a second "Emperor Cow vs. Dogg" scenario blowing up in everyone's face again. But since it was too late, I just gave up trying, 'cause just as everyone got on Emperor Cow's case in the past, there was nothing I could do here but watch everyone do their worst to said party.

DrDogg, if you were a lot less condescending and wasn't so stubborn to reassure you weren't trying to be that way in the first place, there wouldn't have been a match to trigger the flames, and I wouldn't have to say anything crazy to "fuel" them, so to speak. To clarify, this was my one and only problem here in this thread. That, and the assumption Blau made about me from earlier. I'm aware of all the bugs and glitches and shit online and want them addressed as much as the next guy, but at the same time, I'm happy just being able to play some smooth matches online for the time being in a new game that I genuinely like with my usual, and if even that can be improved on, so be it. I may be wild and crazy at times, but that doesn't make me any less caring about the online element of this game. I address complaints my own way.

But back to my main issue. You knew the guy showed mild signs of hostility in his posts, and you didn't even bother to try despite my giving you an opportunity - no, two opportunities - to at least calm him down a little yourself. Had you at least did that, I probably would've followed the rest of the crowd and had less sympathy for those who continued to misunderstand your perspective. But that's the thing, you didn't, and no one else did either. So I made crazy posts in kind. What's done is done, and you led on several people here to make ChrisArmoun and Nightpup feel as bad as possible. I can tell these guys are NOT a case like UnderX with the whole character customization frenzy. They can be reasoned with if you're just a little nicer.

Now I don't know if it'll be easy, but I will try to convince them you're not a prick when I get the chance, if only because you at least tried to explain yourself now, though you could've prevented that misunderstanding a few pages ago instead of leading on others to make whatever assumption about you. Again, I'm only saying all this because you brought my name up.

Obligatory TL;DR version:

ChrisArmoun and Nightpup seemed to be treated unfairly to me regarding the topic, I tried to hint at DrDogg he was a bit too condescending, he led on others to tell them to get thicker skin, ChrisArmoun replied as I predicted much to my dismay, I made crazy posts in kind thinking this was the point of no return, DrDogg then explained himself later and brought my name up resulting in this wall of text, I'm happy now, I'm willing to explain to them he's not a prick and understand his perspective better because I believe they're more reasonable than some people I know.

I've said my piece, screw what everyone else thinks, moving on.
Dont bring me up in your little pity party and im not taking sides im man enough to make my own decisions based on how i feel. Ill say it again i dont see anything wrong with what Dogg stated when he said he has higher standards when it comes to online play. If youve read ive felt the way he does because ive stated NUMEROUS times that this game is hard to play online after playing games like VF5FS.

How is saying i have higher standards when it comes to online play offensive? All this means is you might be fine with how the game plays online but im not. Also lets not bring up old arguments and stick to whats being discussed at hand because thats the type of shit wives do to there husbands. Last time i checked none of us were married to each other and what i stated couldve stopped all this bullshit if it was taken serious.

Once again if you find what Dogg said initially offensive then YOU NEED TO GET SOME TOUGHER SKIN. I personally thought everything wouldve been fine but as Dogg stated you had to play the role of instigator. I was going to say something about it first but decided to keep my mouth shut until you brought me up. Dogg wasnt even quoting you and he states the online isnt where he feels its should be its because he wants the best for this game.

You do know a solid online experience will lead to longer term sales dont you? If people are one the fence and they here the game has a mediocre netcode then chances are there not going to buy it. Also if people that have the game get tired of the mediocre ass netcode then i doubt there going to buy an DLC. Its only common sense that people compare the same genre of games and one of those things there going to compare is how well these 3D fighting games stack up when it comes to how well they play online.

You see that shit time and time again other games being brought up with better netcodes. Its almost 2013 most of use expect better online play than what DOA5 currently offers. So if you see me agreeing or giving a fucking thumbs up to a post about wanting an improved netcode its only because i want this game to play its best online.

TheTHCGamer

Its great that your trying to be peace keeper but lets be real i havent got on awesmics back until he mentioned me in his last post. In fact i dont even know why he had to get involved in the first place when Dogg didnt even qoute him. If my advice wask taken about getting tougher skin then none of this wouldve happened in the first place.

Seriously what was so offensive about what Dogg stated about having higher standards when it comes to online play? If shit like that offends you then damn the fighting game community might not be for you.

MasterHavik

it's not about any of the details. Ya'll seem to do this to him all the time. Leave the man alone. He's a nice guy. Why can't we love each other? So just back off. He just made a counter arugement.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD