Opinions on low holds?

Davey2100

What's the general opinion on low holds in DOA? they are a great tool as they avoid highs (some mids?), standing grabs and can cause another mindgame for the attacker as it can make them avoid using highs and attempt low grabs thinking you're going to low counter and with the quick recover from holds it can put the defender back into the attacking position.

But are they too good for the defender? they have saved me quite a few times and given my attacker the advantage a fair few times too!

I notice that a hell of a lot of people online will simply just use low counter when in a stun in hope of avoiding an attack/throw, I find myself avoiding using high attacks when the opponent is stunned because they will likely just avoid it.

Do you think it needs changing at all? it is kinda overpowered but without it would the attacker have too much advantage?

I don't see it ever mentioned so maybe it's not big deal.

Nereus

Standard Donor
In my honest opinion, its annoying yes but it's also one of the stupidest things you could do because you can get blown up bad for it. I honestly do it myself sometimes but i try not to. Jann Lee is infamous for punishing stupid stuff like that (CB into half-health, 9K Mid-Launcher)

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
That's why it got nerfed in this version. It has a good amount of recovery now so you can easily low throw it if you read it for a big chunk of damage.

Davey2100

That's why it got nerfed in this version. It has a good amount of recovery now so you can easily low throw it if you read it for a big chunk of damage.

I did actually notice I was able to grab some low-counter abusers after they avoided an attack, I just thought it was lag. those late throws weren't for hi-counter damage tho. good change tho.

Aven Kujo-Gin

Doesn't TN says that they were going to nerf low holds in 5U? I would like to know if this was finally true or not, since I still don't have my copy.
Edit: Never mind, it was already answered.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Practice with fastest stagger in training mode and see how much you can delay each hit in your combos. Delay as much as you can so you have time to react to an immediate hold and do a throw.

MasterHavik

Just added about 5 more frames of recovery. They're still good, but easier to punish and harder to get advantage out of.
nah i'll still defend with good spacing, blocking, throw punishment, and holding mid and high. The lows hold is only for when I need to stop some tough lows.

MasterHavik

They're still good defensive tools to use.
Different stokes for different folks. To be hosnet I feel they are a bad habits and will get you destroy and not worth the risk. I find them to be a very bad defensive tool.

DR2K

Different stokes for different folks. To be hosnet I feel they are a bad habits and will get you destroy and not worth the risk. I find them to be a very bad defensive tool.

Anything used excessivley is a bad habit.

Davey2100

Yes they are a bad habit if you over use it (as a lot of newish players do), because some people really do use low hold every.single.stun.
but good players will use the low counter to avoid throws and high attacks and mix it up to put the attacker at a disadvantage, even after the U nerf.

MasterHavik

Yes they are a bad habit if you over use it (as a lot of newish players do), because some people really do use low hold every.single.stun.
but good players will use the low counter to avoid throws and high attacks and mix it up to put the attacker at a disadvantage, even after the U nerf.
Hmm..i see even against those good ones I'm on point with my low throws it's kind of a thing i been good at since 4.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I feel Holding in general just feel "wrong" in DOA5U. The game for me makes me feel you can do better than that.

AkaShocka

Well, against the beautiful low hold spammers, I always tend to hit mid when I know they are going to counter low. Yea low throw is a good option but I just choose to go mid. But if the spam the living hell out of the low counter, I will low throw them 2000000 times. But I admit when I am like seriously panicking and I can't read my opponent I act like I accidentally hit low counter, knowing I did it on purpose (haha, stop hating :D) but yea it saved me a few times.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD