DOA5LR Player that can't play people tries to learn game but it is mashy.

Sotherius

Oh hi, sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum, couldn't find a beginners forum or something like that.

The thing is, i've got doa some weeks ago (probably 2 to 3 months).

And i've watched guides, did all tutorials, and everything related to that, i did all the tutorials, and i have a understanding of the system of the games.

Now, here is the thing, i can't play real people, since there is no offline scene where i live now, and my connection isn't good for online matches, so i'm just messing up with training mode, combo challenges and etc.

But, it is weird, i'm having a trouble with this game, that i kinda had with marvel like games on the past, but i never really had with other fighters, is, that it is too easy to mash on this game for me, and i can't learn the proper game, even by doing combos over and over.

Like, i don't know how to approach, and i don't use half of the tools that i have, so, i don't really have an understanding on how i should play, even if i know how the game works, i don't actually know how to play the game.

Like, what you guys should think it should be my first steps? learn a BnB combo, and try to do that? It doesn't seem a good idea, because of the stun system of this game, so i'm kinda lost.

BTW, i'm playing most Ayane, but i'm messing around with a bunch of characters, since i don't have any urgency in being competitive or anything, i might just want to become a combo player for now and destroy the CPU now and then.

Also, i play on the 360, so i'm locked to the 1.04 patch and such....

Lulu

If you want to cut down on your mashing then simply use less of your character's Tools.

Back when I played Sarah I only used one or two moves on every hit level (excluding juggles). I only mash if I try to use all of my characters tools before I'm comfortable with them.

Sotherius

If you want to cut down on your mashing then simply use less of your character's Tools.

Back when I played Sarah I only used one or two moves on every hit level (excluding juggles). I only mash if I try to use all of my characters tools before I'm comfortable with them.

Oh, that is so helpful, i've been trying to apply what you said and it is already helping a lot. Thank you so much!

Lulu

Try harder difficulty so the AI will prevent you from doing so?

This usually only works vs. The Virtua Fighter Characters. The DoA cast is actually quite mashable. My Tina is always counter hitting Com Level 8 Kasumi.

KING JAIMY

If I'm not mistaken, iHajinShinobi is planning to create or creating a tutorial for your main (Ayane). I would look out for that.

The game seems mashy at first glance, but in high level play you won't get away with mashing. In fact, the game is everything but mashy because mashers get punished big time by a smart player.

Sotherius

The game seems mashy at first glance, but in high level play you won't get away with mashing.
I know that, the stun system and the mechanics on the hold guarantee that you can't mash at all.

This game is really awesome, i wish i could play real people and learn that way, but, we do what we can.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
CPU will never help a player to develop an approach to a match. You should only do any CPU battles to test something or finding a comfortability level on a character you choose or some sort of learning basis. The CPUs will never develop a tactic to stop a player but rather provide a barrier to stop your attacks since they have a tendency to hold moves or play in a odd manner. CPUs will do something like sidestepping twice and then crushing a low in a unexpected pattern. Basically they try to read your moves.

The best way to fully learn the game to hold your own is against other players, but you mention you have no one in your scene (and no online connectivity either?) What is your city Sotherius?

Sotherius

What is your city Sotherius?
Right now i live in a small and rural city from Brazil.

My internet is pretty bad, and i can't even get good connections with other brazilians on games with better netcode.

I used to live in a more developed place when i got the game, but, it will take a while for me to move again. So, having fun with the cpu (and doing lab combos), are my only ways to enjoy a fighting game now.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Right now i live in a small and rural city from Brazil.

My internet is pretty bad, and i can't even get good connections with other brazilians on games with better netcode.

I used to live in a more developed place when i got the game, but, it will take a while for me to move again. So, having fun with the cpu (and doing lab combos), are my only ways to enjoy a fighting game now.

Ah gotcha, that's pretty tough. I don't know any scenes in Brazil. Wish I can help.

Sotherius

Wish I can help.
DOn't worry.

I'm actually fine now, unlike i was when i knew i couldn't get a decent connection when i moved to this city.

But, there is still a small hope, that i can find an internet service that is decent enough to play online (or at least watch videos in 480p on yt or above).

But, even if that doesn't happen, i'll still do my best to follow tournaments, and i'll root for every Ayane player out there, and keep playing here by myself, just having fun with combo challenges, command training, and beating the A.I (that i suck to do on hardest difficulties anyway, so there is something to improve).

NightAntilli

The AI is indeed not the best measure of skill. To avoid mashing you can;
- Pick bass. Effectively mashing is practically impossible with him
- Pick Kokoro. More mashable, but since her strings are short and linear, they are easily punished if you mash. You'll be forced to resort to a few inputs.

Sotherius

The AI is indeed not the best measure of skill. To avoid mashing you can;
- Pick bass. Effectively mashing is practically impossible with him
- Pick Kokoro. More mashable, but since her strings are short and linear, they are easily punished if you mash. You'll be forced to resort to a few inputs.

Thanks, but picking other characters is out of question, i already have too many options to choose between them (though Kokoro is someone i would love to pick).

But, good news.

Yesterday i tried some fighting game online with an american friend of mine, and it wasn't that much worse than what i used to have.

The game had GGPO netcode though, and from what i know, DOA's netcode is worse, but, it means that i'll probably be able to play online once i do what is possible to do here to upgrade the internet, anyways, i'll just practice until there, is not like i'm going to find many people to play on the xbox 360, and it will take a few months for me to get my ps4.

Also, how is the online in the ps4/xbox one? plenty of people to play?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD