Raidou gameplay discussion

TRI Mike

^ Yeah that'd be helpful. I never thought I'd be interested in this character but I definitely am. It's being a pain finding info.

SweetSauceBoss

Anyone up to making a few new topics in this board so it's easier for people to find information? Stuff like juggles, unholdables, stun combos, etc. as separate threads help new players find information they need quicker instead of reading through a long general discussion thread.

That would be awesome. I'm always in the lab with this guy looking for stuff and am willing to share whatever I find.

Nereus

Standard Donor
I'm probably going to put some clips together for lvl1, lvl2, and lvl3 juggles so those that are unfamiliar with the character can get some ideas on what they should do. With the use of Upload Studio on the XB1, that's possible to do w/o a capture card lol

Gruff757

Standard Donor
Alright, I have it pretty much embedded that I'm picking up Raidou as my sub.

I have a question:

I have a problem with getting in on people, more specifically Hayate due to his lancer-like moveset.

What are Raidou's best options for getting in on people? I have the most success with 3k(p) but it tends to get me killed more often than not. I try to start pressure with 2p, and jab cancelling, but that only get's me so far with how some people just go balls to the wall disrespectful on him, no matter if he's at disadvantage or not..

Jefffcore

I avoid his jab strings, and stick with p+k for the most part; that with 2p makes it 11i. He has pretty good crushes, with 66k, 2h+k, and 623p. 6pp is 13i, so it's a decent speed and safe at -3 I think.

At range I like 236p, 66k, and 66p

Edit: almost forgot 4pk. That's gold

Last edited:

SilverForte

pp4pk is his only real good jab string, +2 on block. Pretty easy to read though.

2 h+k is a really good spacing tool, it has an much range as eins 46P and cannot be throw punished past a certain distance.

236p is a really good whiff punisher, you can follow up with 214K to tech them up if they stay on the ground, if they do tech they will have to deal with the move itself.

Jefffcore

214k shouldn't be used after 236p if they're teching, only if they're laying in the ground. If they tech, just about anything will beat it out. Treat it like a 50/50; if you think they're gonna tech, take the advantage and rush them down.

Nereus

Standard Donor

Found something interesting on Raidou's 66P: If you do it at a specific distance, it becomes +13 instead of +12 so P is guaranteed if they don't counter. Not sure why it works the way it does... maybe because im hitting them at later active frames?

SilverForte

214k shouldn't be used after 236p if they're teching, only if they're laying in the ground. If they tech, just about anything will beat it out. Treat it like a 50/50; if you think they're gonna tech, take the advantage and rush them down.

You're right about that, pretty much anything faster than 17f will knock Raidou out of the sky.

Gruff757

Standard Donor
Feeling more comfortable using Raidou......on stick. I can't use him worth crap on pad, so I'm gonna need a titanone converter to use my stick on ps4.

Last edited:

TRI Mike

I can only do 623P on a Dual Shock 4 if I move my thumb to the left stick and then back to the pad for the rest of the juggle. lol

Gruff757

Standard Donor
I can only do 623P on a Dual Shock 4 if I move my thumb to the left stick and then back to the pad for the rest of the juggle. lol
good thing most combos end with a command or two after the ewgf lol

but yeah i just feel way more comfortable on stick with him, unlike Lisa, who I can use on both near-effortlessly.

Akumasama

Anybody got videos of average/high level players playing with Raidou against someone else?
Wants to see the flow of a decent player.
Trying to learn how to use Raidou but I couldn't be further away atm.

Akumasama

In this thread? I'll look for it.
Only found some (useful) combo videos.
I'm liking Raidou even though I would have loved some more variation in his basic combos (they're all high high mid mid with the only variation of last hit being a punch or a kick), like a low hit somewhere.

Atm I could only see 1+K,K and 1P, P (the first hit of which is the only useful one)

I'm having a lot of fun with this char, even without using his Combo Extender (which is a bit unpractical with the PS4 pad) he can be an interesting character. I see Combo Extender as a cool icing on the cake, not a basic element of his gameplay.
Still, I have issues with crushing and priorities atm, I'm having a hard time getting through that.
When I do land stuff though, the damage is really... intense.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD