Balance Reasonings behind buffing, nerfing, & fixing characters (by definition)

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
These are truly loose terms in the fighting game community. A lot of people really do not understand the meaning behind the buffing, nerfing, & the fixation of characters (myself included, when I don't understand the reasoning behind them).

When you buff & nerf a character, it is NOT just for your own personal benefit. You cannot suggest something just because "you" want it to happen or for a character you like but doesn't fit "your" personal playstyle. You make a suggestion because they need it & make them based on how it would balance out against other characters. When you buff or nerf a character, it's the help balance out a character so that other characters can have a better time dealing with them in general. It is not just because you suggest something in general. This is character bias. You have to be reasonable & understand how this would affect everyone within the game, not just you & your character. You cannot just base buffs & nerfs on things that you want to happen. It has to be an evenly fair balance for all of the cast.

Nerfs are for toning down characters who have a far more easier time; better yet, it's for characters who have no trouble dealing with the rest of the cast opposed to other characters who have a hard time in general. It's not to destroy them, just to make an even balance in between the characters. It is especially for characters who have broken setups or situations (yet another thing that get completely tossed around here in the community) that are completely unfair in a competitive setting. Broken is something that makes the match completely unfair & groundbreaking to everyone else with legitimate way to get around it, like Gen Fu's inifnite.

When you say "Kasumi's H+K needs to be nerfed because it gives her basically everything mainly a free launcher most of the time", this is not a legitimate reason for her to be nerfed. This is personal problem, not a character balancing problem. This is people not knowing how to deal with her & what to do against her; Kasumi's H+K can be ducked, held & punished. This tool in general has been receiving changes throughout the game of DOA5. It was once an unholdable that guaranteed 6K. It still could be ducked, held, to avoid the move, although you didn't get the hold damage. Now, you have to find more ways to use it with a better chance to defend against it within the game stun system. Helena's BKO shenanigans do not need to be taken away from her. If you take away BKO in general, this hurts Helena's entire character dynamic. She has always had BKO tools. Just because you hate a character doesn't mean you go & start a campaign to screw over them with nerfs.

Buffs are for when characters who have a hard time dealing or keeping up with the rest of the characters, They receive them by developers to keep them viable for good use & so that people will not abandon the character whole heartedly. Ein, for an example, is a character who lacked quite a bit, but received some changes so that Ein players would not be afraid to use him. Phase 4, another character who lacked (but still has a hard time against characters). Buffs do not always turn a character into a top tier. They are meant to keep characters viable within the game.

Fixing should be self-explanatory. This is for a move that doesn't work correctly, such as a character who has a move with a hitbox issue.

You have to understand the purpose of characters, what buffs & nerfs can do, & how would affect you, people around you, & the game, not because you want them to happen. I thought I would make a thread explaining the meaning of them because of recent posts I've been seeing or people Pming me.

Last edited:

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I dislike characters, too, but I want them to remain viable to players who like using them. No need to let your personal grudge get in the way of a character's viability lol.

Kronin

Good post even if to be fair all of this should be common knowledge and when people don't put in practice, this happen because they don't analyze enough their requests to realize it.

Lulu

The only thing I want changed from Phase 4 is her :236::F: . I would prefer if she could only do this to me if I'm BT..... or if shes BT..... hell you can even make it a 4i OH if you want as long as somebody is BT....

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Good post, though I think it falls on deaf ears.
I only posted in big letters, once lmao. The others in bold was just main points that people needed to realize

Changing Phase's 236T wouldn't make any sense from BT. Phase was meant to have a launch throw. lol

Lulu

I only posted in big letters, once lmao. The others in bold was just main points that people needed to realize

Changing Phase's 236T wouldn't make any sense from BT. Phase was meant to have a launch throw. lol

And shes more than welcome to keep it...... just as long as she catches me BT. :p

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Very good post. Unfortunately it does fall on largely deaf ears. But luckily not ALL of us are blind to the truth.
That wasn't my intention. My intention was to explain how buffs, nerfs, & fixes work because a lot of suggestions were tossed out with no logic whatsoever. And a lot of them don't understand them in all actuality. It was just because they either hated a character, couldn't properly deal with them, or don't understand how their character actually is meant to be played.

Brute

Standard Donor
That wasn't my intention. My intention was to explain how buffs, nerfs, & fixes work because a lot of suggestions were tossed out with no logic whatsoever.
The solution to stupidity is indifference or excommunication.

There is no "cure" that will make stupid people cease to say stupid things, since by nature they are impervious to logic.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
I'm all about a game being balanced and everyone should know that balancing a fighting game is a very difficult task. No matter how balanced a game is likely to be, there will always be characters who will have an easier time dealing with majority of the cast, characters who will have a harder time dealing with majority of the cast, and characters who are on equal footing with most of the cast. Excellent read.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD