Reviews and previews of DOA 5

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
This is why you do not put your faith in reviews. They are tools to give you an idea of whats to come. So its best to read a couple than view the game for oneself.

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
I never listen to reviews. I only read reviews out of curiousity or for a laugh. I read a lot of IGN reviews because they have some of the worst reviews. Especially there pre-release ones. Hilarious stuff at how bad they are. If I want an idea of where a game stands I just go to gamerankings.com

Ooobe

A reviewer doesn't need to be right, they just need to be consistent. There are numerous reviewers who's opinion is almost always in direct opposition to mine.
I like those reviewers, 'cause I know if they like something it's best for me to avoid it and vice versa. I never agree with them, but they're still some of the most helpful reviews out there.
Lol at how I have yet to see a p/review that doesn't make at least one eggregious error.

Raansu

The problems with reviews is they are always opinion based. Reviews should be based on the merit of the material they are reviewing, however, its human nature to implement opinion into anything and everything. Thus I always take reviews with a grain of salt as there have been games with 9/10, 10/10 that I couldn't stand and thought were terrible while a game that received something like a 5 or 6/10 I thought was amazing.

This is why I just stick with gametrailers.com. Watch some videos and decide for myself. To hell with reviews.

Darrell

The problems with reviews is they are always opinion based. Reviews should be based on the merit of the material they are reviewing, however, its human nature to implement opinion into anything and everything. Thus I always take reviews with a grain of salt as there have been games with 9/10, 10/10 that I couldn't stand and thought were terrible while a game that received something like a 5 or 6/10 I thought was amazing.

This is why I just stick with gametrailers.com. Watch some videos and decide for myself. To hell with reviews.

Yup. I thought The Hunger Games was freaking stupid. Slightly off topic, but relevant...

lucky jim

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9113862

Akira_Yuki_Headshot_Cropped.png

Really?

Apparently she is a Marvel 3 player.. from the way that whole post was written, I get the feeling that's the only fighter she's really familiar with, or maybe 2D fighters in general.

e.g. "There's definitely overhead attacks in the game, but they're definitely not aerial"

Looks like I'm getting a 404 on that page now anyway.

Keved

Pretty much got docked points for being a 3D fighter and them not understanding how to play it.
The review was fairly brief too i reckon. It's amazing what passes for a review these days. Plant three paragraphs on a document with a number assigned at the bottom & it's added to the database of reviews.

DR2K

The review was fairly brief too i reckon. It's amazing what passes for a review these days. Plant three paragraphs on a document with a number assigned at the bottom & it's added to the database of reviews.

I think reviewers should be required to show their play time in their reviews. Absolutely ridiculous, no wonder they're becoming more and more irrelevant.

Keved

I think reviewers should be required to show their play time in their reviews. Absolutely ridiculous, no wonder they're becoming more and more irrelevant.

Yeah i agree mate. I mean any casual gamer can sit down with a fighting game without knowing the full mechanics at hand & come up with a basic summary & what's worst is majority will lap it up as Gospel truth because it's written from an official publication.

The best advice to take is your own these days.

DR2K

Yeah i agree mate. I mean any casual gamer can sit down with a fighting game without knowing the full mechanics at hand & come up with a basic summary & what's worst is majority will lap it up as Gospel truth because it's written from an official publication.

The best advice to take is your own these days.

It just irritates me that some people can get away with spreading misinformation and not doing their jobs properly.

If you can't play the game properly ask whomever put you in charge of the review to find someone who can actually explain the combat system.

Darrell

"Old dog doesn't learn any new tricks"

Wait! So the final version doesn't have critical burst, powerblow, unholdable, sitdown , sidestep and faint stuns?.....
debating if I should even pick up my copy tonight..:(

TheTHCGamer

Most big media reviews are a joke and i care more about what the actual community of that games thinks. Dont get me wrong i read them but for entertainment purposes only and the thing that sucks is so many people on the fence depend on reviews when it comes to purchasing games. Bad reviews can hurt a games sales which is why i hope this game doesnt get to many bad reviews.

I cringe almost every time i read a reason why they lowered the score or the complaints in general because for the most part they make know sense to someone who plays fighting games. Demos are also bad when it comes to fighting games because with other genres you can get a good feel how a game feels thats not always the case for fighting games.

For example just because you didnt like how the few characters that were in a demo played doesnt mean another character might not appeal to you. You also have to worry about scores due to reviewers being payed off or getting there review copies on time. Oh your not going to give my game a great review well i might not send you an early copy to review the game and EGM did an article about that in the past.

On top of that sometimes reviewers are worried about backlash from the community and all you have to do is look at the COD scores which are always high yet there the same 2 games released every year. Its also a popularity vote at times ever notice that more popular developers/publishers some times have games with higher scores. Strange isnt it that the more popular fighting games have better scores for the most part than lesser know fighting games.

Take the parts of the review that make sense to you and dismiss everything else.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD