RISE UP! Street Fighter V on PS4 and PC

d3v

Here's the thing, all that stuff is coming in a couple of weeks or so. So it's basically almost like the game getting delayed to March, except competitive players get to play the game, and events like Winter Clash and Final Round aren't screwed out of their spots in the Pro Tour.

That said, it is quite obvious that Capcom wants to focus Street Fighter as a franchise more towards the competitive side. Esports is a booming business and the games involved make a lot of money. Aside from that, Street Fighter IV got the support it got because of the competitive community and the fact that it continued to be played as the top game in majors around the world.

Just look at how the game has been marketed. It's almost as if Capcom isn't just selling Street Fighter V, but rather the entire Fighting Game Community. The game's TV spot itself focuses on the FGC and the competitive experience. Heck, boxed copies of SFV even come with a months subscription to the Capcom Fighters channel, which is where more Pro Tour events are streamed. And with a 72 tournament schedule, we're guaranteed a stream almost every week of the year.

d3v

Wanted to touch on my last point a bit more. This is probably the first time a major company has gone its way to actually promote the FGC. It used to be that we were told that the FGC would have to sell itself. But now, with the whole eSports push, Capcom is finally giving that level of support. And frankly, it's kind of nice. I'm pretty sure that guys like @Mr. Wah would love to see Team NINJA give the same kind of support to DOA and bring that amount of focus to the competitive scene where it's part of the main thrust of the game's marketing. Would sure help get the game's tournament attendance up.

Of course, that's easier said than done. Unlike DOA, Capcom has pretty much married Street Fighter's identity with the competitive scene in the past half decade. They've cultivated an image of competition around their franchise that identifies it in the same way that Mortal Kombat is known for its blood and gore, and DOA is known for, well you know what. Any other franchise (like DOA) would have to try to overhaul their identity, in fact TN already tried to do this with DOA5, but one game isn't enough, not when at times what they're doing feels like half-steps.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
this actually pretty cool, didn't realize tragedy assault even did that, then again i spent all my beta time with Bison. look forward to getting some use out of that cool throw.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
In the little time I tried Nash I used his TA instead of anything else unless it was a finishing combo. Made sense to deny resources.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
So, the PS3 Stick support is actually banned at EVO if you are planning to use them for Street Fighter V. I believe MKX had that similar problem last year.
1z2qvGG.jpg

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor

SilverForte

I'd consider that one if I can't get Ryu.

Hey, you with the face, stop lying to the children. They don't know any better. I do like Ryu though and I was looking for that one first. This true, @SilverForte ?

yes it is, I don't use Ryu at all and was looking to trade it for the chun li code, but I found out that preorders automatically download it so I can't get it either way, so I'm probably gonna sell it on ebay or something.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Review embargo has just now been lifted and as expected the game is panned for it's serious lack of the most basic single player content. There are 90% score reviews but the majority are in the 70s-80s right now. There are even some 50s-60s reviews which I do find a little harsh. But hopefully this tells Capcom something. I still want the game at some point. :/

If you want to stay up to date (and also like to find good reviews):
http://opencritic.com/game/1640/street-fighter-v
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/street-fighter-v
http://n4g.com/channel/street-fighter-5/reviews/all/default/default/1/reviewgrid

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
It tells them to never give us anything early again even if we ask for it.

I don't really think they will care all that much... That's why I wrote "It hopefully tells them something." It's just the hope I have. They knew perfectly well what reactions they'd get for releasing Street Fighter V as it is but they still thought it was more profitable to get it out half finished, so... ;)

Last edited:

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
I don't really think they will care all that much... That's why I wrote "It hopefully tells them something." It's just the hope I have. They knew perfectly what reactions they'd get for releasing Street Fighter V as it is but they still thought it was more profitable to get it out half finished, so... ;)

What do you want to tell them? please delay your game for months so you can add all these bells and whistles?

Tyaren

Standard Donor
What do you want to tell them? please delay your game for months so you can add all these bells and whistles?
I would tell them:
"Get a simple local player versus CPU mode in the game at release!" That's the most basic fighting game mode of all time and is in 99.9% of all fighters...except Street Fighter 5. I really doubt the implementation would have cost them much time. Surely not months.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD