Selfcriticism about your playstyle

Akumasama

Is there anything you wish you could change about your playstyle but have been unable to so far, for several reasons?

In my case I could say I really suck in defense, I tend to make use of frame priorities and attacks who can penetrate my opponent's attacks (crush) rather than just defending.
The moment I start defending, I kinda enter a vicious cycle where I'm bound to lose eventually.

My reaction times are pretty slow, usually I can counter from the third hit of a combo, good players are able to do that from the second hit!
Furthermore I'm not that good either when it comes to attack because I have very good patterns, but I tend to get too repetitive. A good player will get used to my rhythms and patterns by the second or third match against me, if not in the same match on the latter rounds.

Last but not least the thing I possibly hate most are my clunky butter-fingers. Many times I want to input a certain command but another one comes out.
Some examples coming from my Helena:
  • P,P,2+K ==> comes out as P.P,4+K
  • BKO, 6+P, 4+P ==> comes out as BKO 4+P, if done at the beginning of a match
  • Sidestep + K ==> most of the times I just sidestep and no kick comes out, when I managed to, I fail in inputting the 2 command to remain in BKO after the kick
  • 33P.4+P ==> comes out as 33P,P, or if I do it when I'm getting up in place of a wakeup kick, I often get 3P,4P
So, what do you hate about your style, which do you consider to be your limits? How do you work to overcome them?

Dave

I don't really know how to handle myself when someone is constantly backing away from me, avoiding me. I can't stand people who play like that. I am a rusher. I rush down at my opponent. Most of the time I'll be winning by 2 rounds, the player will start to play the avoiding game and wind up winning with cheap tactics. It's kind of lame, and I don't really know how to combat it. Also, I'm not very good at defense. Dead or Alive 5 is the first fighting game I am really playing online. I never blocked in fighting games before. It was only A.I. so I never bothered. Blocking is like essential to success in this game. I've done blocking exercises in training mode, but the best way to learn is probably playing online with others.

Gruff757

Standard Donor
I was gonna post mine but you did it for me :(

Most of the time I'll be winning by 2 rounds, the player will start to play the avoiding game and wind up winning with cheap tactics

I cringe everytime someone uses that term

akhi216

Standard Donor
I could complain about my reaction time but that'd be useless hence I'm 34 and won't be getting any younger lol. But when I watch my replays of losing matches I find that when I I go to do a ground attack and my opponent techs with a mid wake up kick my mind goes blank and I freeze up and end up eating a combo. Another one of my quirk I have of my playstyle that I see on replays of games that I won is that I tend to avoid going for big damage combos that utilize CB in favor of creating mixup opportunities and creating oki setups, things that don't work too well against higher level players.

Pokerking87

@dave

I hate turtler too especially Kasumi or Ayane Player they turtling geez!
My biggest weakness is too much whiffing especially with Eliot and Hayate i am a aggressive player and i am sometimes too impatient. Christie is by far my best Offensive but my with risky ultra aggressive style with her i am sometimes Not carefully enough! My jann Lee is too much show and my Helena is Defensive Not Good enough.

Akumasama

I was gonna post mine but you did it for me :(
Did I? D:

I cringe everytime someone uses that term
I just laugh.
What exactely is a "cheap technique"? :D
Or people saying "You only won because you're a spammer".
Why? Shouldn't spamming make you more predictable and hence easier to counter and destroy?
Or "You only won because there was lag"
Why? You think if the match was lagged you were the only one with lag while game was running smooth for me? xD

Altough I guess some characters are easier to play even with lag while others are not (take for instance Helena's Teishitsu)

@dave

I hate turtler too especially Kasumi or Ayane Player they turtling geez!
My biggest weakness is too much whiffing especially with Eliot and Hayate i am a aggressive player and i am sometimes too impatient. Christie is by far my best Offensive but my with risky ultra aggressive style with her i am sometimes Not carefully enough! My jann Lee is too much show and my Helena is Defensive Not Good enough.
Your Christie is daaaaaangerous :p
And your Hayate is not as bad you want to make it look from your post.

I always found your Jann Lee pretty weak instead. And never got a chance to play against your Elliot :( :(

@Akhi
Yeah I'm 33 myself so... yeah, we're on the same boat mate lol

Ghosty-J

My luck is crappy, so I guess counters wrong 80% of the time.
I can't remember the matchups properly, and even then the game is so random it hardly matters much.
I can't find the right tools to punish with and I can't keep the pressure going to maintain control of the fight.
I drop combos far too much to the point it hinders any possible victory in whatever round.
Hard time breaking old mixup habits causing me to get countered A LOT.
I'm sucking at this game, maaaaaaaan D:

Kronin

LOL, basically what Akumasama said in his OP are the same lakcs that I have in the game...

Gruff757

Standard Donor
My luck is crappy, so I guess counters wrong 80% of the time.
I can't remember the matchups properly, and even then the game is so random it hardly matters much.
I can't find the right tools to punish with and I can't keep the pressure going to maintain control of the fight.
I drop combos far too much to the point it hinders any possible victory in whatever round.
Hard time breaking old mixup habits causing me to get countered A LOT.
I'm sucking at this game, maaaaaaaan D:
same here man T 3T

Nightpup

I ... can't say I'm unhappy with the way I play.
Well, no, I lied. Low holds. I can't do anything about them worth my life unless the opponent is deliberately spamming them.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Everything pretty much sucks when it comes to me.
I've been called a scrub countless times
What exactly did you do to give that vibe?

Merely losing matches doesn't make you a scrub. It's refusing to accept advice in playing better or acting like a know-it-all while refusing help that does. I think you want to get better, otherwise you wouldn't have posted here and taken the first step.

NOTE: Awesmic did not make this post.

Bushido

I'm way too aggressive sometimes. When i get desperate i kind of spam different holds hoping I get lucky. Can't really block either.

Jaguar360

I focus too much on big combos, I can't hold in battle to save my life (in DOA5), I overthink, and I always put in wrong inputs.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
a lot of things but the worst offender has to be my ground game as in i have none.sure i can grab them for some small damage but i just freeze up outside of that i don't even try to stay in control

Mailifang

Lets see..

I'm an old school DOA player that thrives on mind games,throws, and mix ups. All of these tactics are almost useless when it comes to DOA 5. Against a like minded opponent I do well and can hold my own. Against players with decent offensive set ups,solid reactions at countering, can maintain offensive pressure, and just know when to press buttons I lose.

Here are my actual weaknesses.

*I only randomly go for big damage. When it happens its instinctual and not when I want it to happen.
*I only know and use 2 to 3 offensive set ups between the 2 characters I main. My offense becomes too predictable.
* Most players mash attack buttons after getting stunned so it throws my throw mix up game off.
*Dealing with turtling tactics used by scrub Brad,Hayabusa, and Ayane players.
*Overall defense is inconsistent.Some matches my defense is rock solid.Other times I'm getting low poked to death by annoying Ayane, Hitomi, and Tina players.
*I lack the patience, ambition, and mental toughness to play fighting games consistently at a high level.

The last weakness is the most important one. I've played many great players in many different fighting games. And they all told me the same thing.The only thing that holds me back from being up to their level is that I don't want it bad enough to devout myself to get to their level. I'm a Libra so my personal quirk is that I don't totally devout myself one thing. Once I feel I am good enough in a game I move on to the next game.

Koor

Hmm. I have trouble reading and adjusting to my opponents tactics fast enough. My defense needs work, especially since i main Bass. Aslong as the opponent knows how slow he is, they hop right in my face and start dancing on it. Cant counter to save my lifebar. My mindgames need more improvement. Too often i get countered because my offense is predictable.

Very weak against opponents who know how to space properly. I become too impatient (and annoyed -___-) so i end up throwing out attacks/rushing in only to get slapped silly.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD