DOA5LR Shall i be the only competitive player on PC. Please buy it :)

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
How does the Intel HD Graphics 4400 fair on most games? I know most modern games won't be able to run, but I'm sure there are some games that can run. For example, USF4 can run smoothly at high settings. But since DOA is more graphically intensive, I just want to make sure that my laptop can at least run it decently. It doesn't have to be running at ultra settings, but I'd at least like for DOA5LR to be able to run at medium settings, or low if need be.
The first generation Surface Pro has the HD 4000 which is slightly less capable. I can run Yaiba competently. USFIV I can run at a consistent 60fps at 720p with most of the graphical bells and whistles cranked. Unreal III plays well at maxed settings. As long as you don't go above 720p you'll get pretty solid performance from the 4400. You'll be able to run DoA, you'll just have to tweak things and not aim for 1080p or higher as a goal.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
The first generation Surface Pro has the HD 4000 which is slightly less capable. I can run Yaiba competently. USFIV I can run at a consistent 60fps at 720p with most of the graphical bells and whistles cranked. Unreal III plays well at maxed settings. As long as you don't go above 720p you'll get pretty solid performance from the 4400. You'll be able to run DoA, you'll just have to tweak things and not aim for 1080p or higher as a goal.
Thanks. I may as well triple dip, as I preordered DOA5LR for PS4 (despite not having one) and will get the obviously get the free PS3 update. Might get the Steam version, since it'll come with Ayane's Ninja and Aloha costumes.

Cigarette

Have you tried running a GPU benchmarker? Unigine Heaven has a free version and this would let you test for yourself what your card is okay with in its current condition. Obviously it can't predict the demands that LR specifically will make in terms of particle effects, sweat/wet shaders or dynamic sex-dirt, but it would at least let you see what X resolution with Y option looks like and decide if its acceptable.

I personally am leery about doing anything strenuous on an integrated chip because my experience has been that it really shortens the computer lifespan. I had a Compaq that I could baaaaarely play Skyrim and watch HD youtube videos on, and despite keeping that thing's airways clean as a cornhusk, eventually it was thermal-crashing so often that I had to sit the thing on an icepack to run more than 15 minutes. Finally I dismantled it and sure enough, the GPU had made a giant charred, discolored patch in the mobo. I attribute it to thermal bond breaking down under prolonged loads, and then the GPU being unable to cool from then on.

[EDIT]: That said, you would think a fighting game would have less overhead than something like an FPS, where there are way more characters, larger environments, and the requirement that things look good both up close and at the max draw distance. I think that benchmarker is designed to test the GPU against an FPS application, so it might underestimate your ability to handle DoA.

Last edited:

Kronin

My PC is slowly abandoning me (after a loyal service lasted years) so seems just that I will be forced to change it sooner than I was thinking. Of course I will make sure to get something able to make run DoA5LR, so there is a serious possibility that I could be present even at day 1 of the online (not that someone should care for it, I'm just answering to the OP XD)

Randzz

My PC is slowly abandoning me (after a loyal service lasted years) so seems just that I will be forced to change it sooner than I was thinking. Of course I will make sure to get something able to make run DoA5LR, so there is a serious possibility that I could be present even at day 1 of the online (not that someone should care for it, I'm just answering to the OP XD)
Unless you plan on going the laptop route, make the PC buddy, make it. You'd be surprised at how much stuff you can cannibalize from your current one into your next. In my case I saved some $500 that way. Newegg & TigerDirect have "barebones" & "gaming barebones" set ups, which, at most can run you around $400 to $500, the only thing being needed to be done on your end is to apply the elbow grease.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I just bought a decent pre-built Asus desktop, dropped an extra 8GB of RAM into it and a GTX 650 with 2GB DDR5. Not going to blow anybody away but it runs everything I play on it competently. USFIV runs maxed out at 1080p and clears well over 100fps before I lock it. It'll handle DoA5LR just fine, though likely not at max. Guess we'll see how much customization is available for settings.

Cigarette

There aren't any special keyboard needs for PC fighting games, right? In other words, can you get by with the same board you type emails with, or does it miss inputs and stuff?

My PC fighting experience back when I was kid. I felt like the directional keys made quarter-circle inputs easier, at the expense of less precise 44 or 66 inputs.

Macca Beam

can you get by with the same board you type emails with, or does it miss inputs and stuff?
Most keyboards don't miss input, but half/full circles aren't consistent (especially the latter; I don't even know where to begin) and this game has a bunch of them.

at the expense of less precise 44 or 66 inputs.
Curious about this. Keyboards supposedly do non-diagonals perfectly because 4 and 6 are just a button press.

Solo

Just think of a keyboard being similar to a hitbox in a way.
Hitbox-bild-01.jpg

d3v

The biggest issue with keyboards, especially if they're cheap, non gaming keyboards is n-key rollover. Most keyboard these days have a limit to how many keys can be pressed at the same time.

Cigarette

Interesting. I'm reading that a lot of vintage mechanical keyboards have individually detected keys, IBM model F's being an example. What I do know is that I'm not buying a fightstick, and a mechanical keyboard would be awesome considering how much I type anyway, so I think my agenda goes like m'yah:

1. Hit the Goodwill down the street
2. Find the right mechanical keyboard
3. Modernize the connector to PS/2 port
4. Paint Hayabusa and some fire on it. [EDIT: It might have to be Stick-Hayabusa and scribble-fire, I don't really paint :-/ ]

Thanks for the rollover tip.

Curious about this. Keyboards supposedly do non-diagonals perfectly because 4 and 6 are just a button press.

That was just my personal preference back when I played One Must Fall 2097 on a tactile keyboard as a kid. I had movement bound to the directional keys, and felt that circle-inputs were way easier than double taps because of the difference between sliding you finger across the row versus hammering on a single squishy key. I could throw out half-circle-fwd+P on a dime, but 6,6,6+P almost never worked for me.

It may just be that I had a bigger vested interest in learning the former move, since it was an unblockable launcher that you could use while airborne to effectively double jump, or cancel recovery frames of the prior move, or to break out of your own hit stun (!). And, it looked like a fangirl glomp. The latter move just made you push someone down.

Last edited:

d3v

Interesting. I'm reading that a lot of vintage mechanical keyboards have individually detected keys, IBM model F's being an example. What I do know is that I'm not buying a fightstick, and a mechanical keyboard would be awesome considering how much I type anyway, so I think my agenda goes like m'yah:

1. Hit the Goodwill down the street
2. Find the right mechanical keyboard
3. Modernize the connector to PS/2 port
4. Paint Hayabusa and some fire on it (obligatory)

Thanks for the rollover tip.
Or you can just buy a modern mechanical gaming keyboard and save yourself the trouble of trying to splice in a USB connector.

Cigarette

Nah, this'll be great, watch.

I think rewiring DIN-5 to PS/2 and debugging should only take an hour tops, and if I save 40 bucks for my trouble, that's a pay rate I'm willing to work for.

Last edited:

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Playing on a controller removes all of the issues you're talking about and allows you to use something you could bring to a tournament too. If you never plan on going to a tournament then ignore that party but seriously, controllers are better for fighting games. Arcade sticks too if you're up for those. All of which work with PC.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
Would it be dumb to invest in a Logitech gaming pad? I like that it has the layout of the PS3 and for the simple fact that it's dedicated to the PC without me having to install programs and/or buying an Xbox 360 pad, which I do not like.

Argentus

I still can't get over the association that PC's are for RTS and point and click games lol. Its what I've played on them for years and years, so it just feels....wrong...to play action, adventure, or fighting games on PC. I know there's no actual difference, aside from my comp being around 2008, but its hard to get over that mentality.

Plus m the type to insist on using the "proper" controllers for each system. Keyboard for PC, wiimote for smash, etc.

Cigarette

So: I came home thinking I was all cool for saving money on a used mechanical keyboard, you know? I was swaggering in, my collar popped itself, Kenny Loggins was rocking out on the guitar, even my cat was impressed. I unscrewed the keyboard and opened it up to splice in the new cable, and forty five thousand spider larvae came flooding out onto my lap and scattered to the four winds. Mamma spider is still lurking inside the keyboard casing, content to be a little inch-long badass in there.

I'm here to eat my words because I think I should have bought a controller. I didn't consider the 'its been sitting in a shed since 1993 and is spattered with rat shit' possibility when I was bragging up the merits of used keyboard.

I am become error.

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
Yes. You will be the only competitive player on PC.

Everyone else will be using a potato.

Grimace

if you have a wired 360 controller you can just plug that into any pc and use it.
If your computer (or laptop) has blue tooth capabilities you can use wireless ps3 controllers.

You might not even need to buy anything extra, try to salvage what you have :)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD