Should being able to counter out of stuns be removed?

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
50% wall hit maybe, but not from one combo/juggle from stun(high counter blow I can see happening).

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Doesn't matter in Tekken, like I said. 50% in open space is nothing. It's just in DOA we're not used to that kind of brutality.

I want something that makes my opponent scared enough not to fuck around, and light stuns could still be SE'd.

virtuaPAI

Staff member
Administrator
I do agree about making my opponent scared enough not to fuck around. There are too many slaps on the wrist in current doa.

Raansu

Stuns should be changed, you're absolutely right.

But the game would still be better if you removed counters in stun, even with the current stun system.

Why?

Because 50% on hit is... 50% on hit.

Not really... Regardless, I just can't see it working. DoA3.1 had the right idea imo, but anymore than that I can't see working in doa with its stun system.

I don't think it's so much a problem with the system as it is that no one has tried to exploit baiting holds yet. If it's as negative as I think it is, it shouldn't be a problem extending the combos off of hold baiting (provided your opponent hold spams like a scrub).

Red dragon

Countering out of stuns is a bad habit, that i will agree with. But on the other side of it, if you know what your opponent is planning on throwing next, it could save your ass as well. Yes, it is a noob tatic in doa and yes, it can get you out of stun and it may even bring about your victory depending on what you next move is.

So i say no, dont remove countering out of stuns. Countering out of stuns is the only thing that can keep your opponent from having a field day with you and taking out half your health with one big combo like in tekken and maybe street fighter.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Countering out of stuns is a bad habit, that i will agree with. But on the other side of it, if you know what your opponent is planning on throwing next, it could save your ass as well. Yes, it is a noob tatic in doa and yes, it can get you out of stun and it may even bring about your victory depending on what you next move is.

So i say no, dont remove countering out of stuns. Countering out of stuns is the only thing that can keep your opponent from having a field day with you and taking out half your health with one big combo like in tekken and maybe street fighter.

Right, so, instead, we have a system where you can't do any damage whatsoever UNLESS you bait the hold and get a throw.

Does this seem right to you in comparison?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
It shouldn't be the extreme of either. A nice mix would be fine by me. Such as natural combos as in DOA2 or DOA3.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Removing holds from stun isn't extreme.

The ability to use holds in stun IS extreme.

Natural combos are a step in the right direction, but seriously... if they are going to have holds out of stun they need to reverse the out of stun properties of holds and parries and make parries the only way to get out.

Parries then get limited to only one hit level, and everybody is happy except the whiny people who want easy wins.

Red dragon

I understand where your going with this.

If parries become the only way out of stuns, then it wont do much good anyways. Im not defending the noobs and whiners who want easy wins. Trust me, i hate taking the easy way out. If you use a parry to get out of stun, 2 things would happen. 1, it would be easier for folks to get out of stuns. Thats the positive of your theory. 2, it would make it harder for said opponent to keep a combo going. I think you have to look at it from both ends to have a clearer understanding of it.

Same thing with countering out of stuns. Gotta look at it from both the attacker and defender end of it.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I understand where your going with this.

If parries become the only way out of stuns, then it wont do much good anyways. Im not defending the noobs and whiners who want easy wins. Trust me, i hate taking the easy way out. If you use a parry to get out of stun, 2 things would happen. 1, it would be easier for folks to get out of stuns. Thats the positive of your theory. 2, it would make it harder for said opponent to keep a combo going. I think you have to look at it from both ends to have a clearer understanding of it.

Same thing with countering out of stuns. Gotta look at it from both the attacker and defender end of it.

I am.

Notice I didn't say anything about throw punishment in relation to parries. The attacker can still throw someone out of a parry for high counter throw damage.

It would be no different then how holds currently are in doa:d/DOA3, except they would do 20 damage instead of 100.

Do I see a problem with this?

Fuck no. You got hit, and you should pay for that.

virtuaPAI

Staff member
Administrator
Removing holds from stun isn't extreme.

The ability to use holds in stun IS extreme.

Natural combos are a step in the right direction, but seriously... if they are going to have holds out of stun they need to reverse the out of stun properties of holds and parries and make parries the only way to get out.

Parries then get limited to only one hit level, and everybody is happy except the whiny people who want easy wins.
-I concur. A parry with a max of 25pts of Damage with minor frame advantage (+2 - +5) would be a great solution. If they wanted, the better the timing, the more frame advantage you will receive.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
As I stated earlier. I'm fine with the DOA++ method: Highs and Lows were separated by their punch/kick but they were parries. Mids would do the "Defensive holds" as we know them today - and they were also separated by their punch/kick as well.

Out of the parries, All grapplers (Bass, Tina, and Bayman at this time) would do 10 points of damage on their high and low parries. Strikers (Ayane, Jann Lee, Zack, Hayabusa, and Kasumi) would do 10 points of damage on their high parry and no damage on their low. Holders (Gen Fu and Lei Fang) would do no damage on their high and low parries.

Red dragon

I am.

Notice I didn't say anything about throw punishment in relation to parries. The attacker can still throw someone out of a parry for high counter throw damage.

It would be no different then how holds currently are in doa:d/DOA3, except they would do 20 damage instead of 100.

Do I see a problem with this?

Fuck no. You got hit, and you should pay for that.

The question that is left to answer is:

would the punish throw be limited to 5 frame or would people be able to use a 7 frame throw like ayane's reverse boot to the head throw. (i think that's a 7 frame throw, and i dont remember the button imput, its been a while since i played)

7 frame throws would be easier for most folks to use as a punishment and damage would vary from character to character. 5 frame throws would have less damage but it would be a safer throw because it has less frames.

i agree though, if you screw up, your opponent should be entitled to deliver said punishment.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD