Soul Calibur Thread

NeverGiveUp

What game was competitively better with SC besides the arcade version of SCIII which no one outside of Japan got to play?
No Idea. Back then i wasn't into the games like Sc3 but as much good work Dashi has done he keeps making these one characters that end up gamebreaking, and thats Hilde in sc4 and Viola in sc5. As much as i liked some of the design choices in 5 i simply lost faith in him.

CFW

Viola isn't near as bad as Hilde was. SCIV Hilde can get ring outs from literally anywhere in the ring with no meter. There were a lot of stupid characters in SCIV compared to SCV though.

Also, Daishi wasn't the only director of that game. I don't even think he had much say over anything then. You really can't fault him for one dumb character compared to all the dumb characters in SCIV AND SCIII AND SCII.

ninjaguy446

No Idea. Back then i wasn't into the games like Sc3 but as much good work Dashi has done he keeps making these one characters that end up gamebreaking, and thats Hilde in sc4 and Viola in sc5. As much as i liked some of the design choices in 5 i simply lost faith in him.
Daishi didn't have anything to do with Hilde, he wasn't the director of SCIV. SCV is the most balanced SC games, besides for the two outliers, Viola and Zwei. And even then, every character is viable. There are no matchups that are 7 - 3 unlike in SCIV.

For anyone wondering, SCIII was a complete disaster in terms of balance. It was a mess. Everyone's nostalgic favorite SCII also had it's flaws. Ivy and X were the Queens (Cervy was pretty great too if I'm not mistaken), while Yun Seong was... well, he's Yun Seong.

Reactions: CFW

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
I might be the minority here, but I actually like that Guard Impact requires meter now. SC2 mostly became a GI fest and it got real stupid (and boring) quick.

CFW

while Yun Seong was... well, he's Yun Seong.

So you're saying he's terrible.

Daishi actually cared about competitive SC and yeah this lil patch turned some people off but this could have been fixed if the game was still supported by Boobco. I think one way to liven things up is make SC6 in arcades first. This is where it started and there's no reason to at least try to breathe live into arcade scene.

I think this is the reason why Tekken works so well is because it never ignored arcades and it never rushed unfinished poop out onto consoles (not implying SCV was poop because it's my fave after SCIII but u know). It's always had a stable base and team to work on it. The game is still great, but people aren't seeing that because I kinda feel like their heads are stuck up their butt to try to experience new things without feeling jaded.

NeverGiveUp

Daishi didn't have anything to do with Hilde, he wasn't the director of SCIV. SCV is the most balanced SC games, besides for the two outliers, Viola and Zwei. And even then, every character is viable. There are no matchups that are 7 - 3 unlike in SCIV.

For anyone wondering, SCIII was a complete disaster in terms of balance. It was a mess. Everyone's nostalgic favorite SCII also had it's flaws. Ivy and X were the Queens (Cervy was pretty great too if I'm not mistaken), while Yun Seong was... well, he's Yun Seong.
Ninja as much as i would like to believe you on that no MU's are 7-3 im very skeptical on that. I do believe the MUs in sc5 are definitely much better than the ones in sc4 we both agree there.

Zwei and Dampierre definitely have some really difficult MU's in the game that its very hard for example to say their worst ones are 4-6 (Natsu, Patrokolus, Mitsurugi, Cervantes are very hard counters) Even for my main Siegfried he has some really Difficult MU's that some can say stretch above 4-6 (Cervantes, Natsu, Astaroth etc) so yeah man I don't know about 7-3

ninjaguy446

Ninja as much as i would like to believe you on that no MU's are 7-3 im very skeptical on that. I do believe the MUs in sc5 are definitely much better than the ones in sc4 we both agree there.

Zwei and Dampierre definitely have some really difficult MU's in the game that its very hard for example to say their worst ones are 4-6 (Natsu, Patrokolus, Mitsurugi, Cervantes are very hard counters) Even for my main Siegfried he has some really Difficult MU's that some can say stretch above 4-6 (Cervantes, Natsu, Astaroth etc) so yeah man I don't know about 7-3
Dampierre is a joke character and is completely random. Like I said before Zwei is the outlier of group because he's just not good. You're right that those are difficult MUs for Siegfried, but I'd still argue against 7-3.

Yurlungur

I honestly hate guard impact requiring meter, now you literally have to deal with a whole bunch of bullshit you never had to deal with in older games such as maxi being too mashy or someone spamming bb,aa brainlessly

besides you could easily break guard impacts by doing slower moves and it was always fun punshing gi spammers with calamity symphony

CFW

I honestly hate guard impact requiring meter, now you literally have to deal with a whole bunch of bullshit you never had to deal with in older games such as maxi being too mashy or someone spamming bb,aa brainlessly

besides you could easily break guard impacts by doing slower moves and it was always fun punshing gi spammers with calamity symphony

tumblr_inline_nj3xt9yOyY1ri460d.gif

Instead of GI being too difficult of a system it now can GI highs mids and lows without guessing a direction and honestly that's what JG is for now. That was one thing I hated about the old GI system is GI spammers and GI wars it was so ugly I'm glad they got rid of that shit.

Maxi is too mashy? Spamming AAs and BBs brainlessly? Wat????????????

NeverGiveUp

Even though I prefer the old GI system i think here it works fine. If sc5 had a GI system with no meter to use then it would really be stupid ( would end up being a bad mechanic and possibly gamebreaking)

Even in sc4 GI was used rarely and honestly there wasn't much use of it. Why would anyone GI where players are constantly spacing you at neutral? Even in sc5 there still isn't a big use, most players preserve their meter for BE's and CE's.

Maxi just requires MU knowledge.

ninjaguy446

Yeah, GI wasn't really used that much in SC4. Only really for JI'ing reactable moves like Amy's 44A for guaranteed damage.

SilverForte

As a Patroklos player I love the GI's in V. I use them all the time to get a guaranteed combo that refills all the meter I used for the GI.

KwonJigglypuff

Hopefully sometime this year. It is the 20th Anniversary of the Soul series after all ;)

Coool! I'm really curious to see how they will choose the roster this time. I didn't like the new characters as much as the old ones, but these new designs were amazing (Viola for instance).

I'm so hyped for the return of Setsuka, Sophitia and Creation Mode! I'm sure it will look amazing on PS4. I wonder if they will take a new turn for this installment. What really bugs me is that SC5 existed kinda existed because of fans' demand, but I don't hear a lot of people asking for a new one.

If they announce a card game for the 20th anniversary.. I swear...

ninjaguy446

When do you think SC6 will be announced ?
I heard Lost Swords did pretty bad, do you think it will have an impact ?
Actually, I think it did pretty well. It served it's cash cow purpose. Sure, it was way overpriced but that doesn't stop people from buying their old main for 60 dollars a piece, not to mention the chests that people will buy for costumes.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD