Balance Stage: Danger Zone

Should Danger Zone be banned from Tourney stages?

• Yes

• No

• Let me explain...

Results are only viewable after voting.

jonosono

Standard Donor
*Yes, you can change your mind in this poll. Feel free to do so and discuss your thoughts.

I played in a lobby with a friend last night, Raansu, and he immediately started complaining about how broken Danger Zone is after I picked it. He said he was glad that there's talk of banning it at tourneys...

Now let's discuss, what's wrong with Danger Zone.
I think it's a fun stage. I've fallen asleep dreaming about DOA and guaranteed setups because of this stage. I think a knee jerk reaction to call for the ban hammer is extreme and unnecessary.

TheRealCoxinator

The stage is mainly for lols. A leon can easy get at least a 200 combo with his air throw, shoulder charge, and the insane launch from the floor pad.

jonosono

Standard Donor
Easily? I don't know about that.
After realizing that you can easily tech roll to avoid the relaunch from explosions, my dream of world domination ended.
Turning on the recovery option in training mode quickly stopped me from reaching crazy damaging combos.

d3v

From what I've seen and tried out, it could possibly change matchups/balance in large ways once people figure out true guaranteed stuff.

jonosono

Standard Donor
And that's exactly what I find really exciting. Discovering that guaranteed goodness.
And another pro, in my opinion, is that X factor. I thought everyone loved the stages being dynamic and interactive in the DOA world.

Aven Kujo-Gin

Absolutely. This stage is the most broken thing ever. One mistake against certain characters and you will lose the match instantly.

Jian

I would also say keep the stage for now, Danger Zone is not an auto win for any character as you still have to make correct guesses like any other match. The only difference is that you can make less mistakes on this stage.

On a side note, variable terrain and hazards are one of the great things that set apart 3D fighters from 2D fighters so it would be a disservice to the players and potential audiences to ban a stage that could very well bring some hype into a match. Stage select is random still so it's not like it's happening every other match.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
I think the decision won't be made until after Winter Brawl. Stage select is random, and stages like Home are allowed, which clearly benefits some characters more than others. Danger Zone is not meant to be a serious stage, but of course the higher level competitive players are having a field day with it. So in the end, I say, wait until Winter Brawl and see if the stage is tournament viable or not.

Zeo

On the fence about this one, in theory it seems like it's fair but also incredibly broken. There's also the factor though that getting that stage is random out of 20+ stages so you can't exactly pick characters with that stage in mind hoping you get lucky.

Regardless I'm not at liberty to vote as I don't have either next gen version of the game and cannot make an informed decision until I actually test and play the stage for myself.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
No reason to ban it... the stage is supposed to be crazy. If anything let's ban one of the wrestling rings or one of the basic square stages.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Anyone remember back in the days when we still played water/ice stages which allowed for normal hit attacks to cause deep slip stuns? Those were the days.

Question for those who would like to ban DZ: Would you feel the simple addition of allowing you to tech hard knockdown explosions in the stage would change your mind on banning it?

Tempest

If anything it should be banned due to it being console exclusive.
That's my opinion on the matter, it's not like Raidou and Honoka that can simply be purchased, or the DS4 which can be used on ps3 for pad players like myself, DZ is locked behind a $440 dollar pay wall for people like me that don't have an interest in a next gen console.

If everyone gets huge damage, then everyone is on even playing ground. No reason to ban.
Except players that don't own the next gen version can't practice on the stage at all.

Though in my opinion danger zone, home and ends of the earth should be turned off for competitive play simply because some characters benefit from the danger zones a lot more than others, and unlike other stages, its very hard to avoid having to deal with them if you aren't playing one of those characters.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
My issue with the stage is that some knockdowns which are techable knockdowns have become untechable (hard knockdowns) like Genfu's 6PPP for example..
Thats just plain stupid.

If they keep all the techable knockdowns "techable" then the sage would actually be a lot more fair. basically following the true rules of DOA1

as for untechable knockdowns such as knockdowns that guarantee ground throws ... yeah those should just stay as is. without a bounce.

Basically limit the bounce only to "Techable" knockdowns which were not tech rolled. then it would be absolutely fair and fun for everyone.
while still allowing all the combo madness if the opponent screws up.

Einzelkind

With the environment playing such an important role in Dead or Alive, I'm surprised I've never seen anyone bring up switching from random stage selection to picking/counter-picking them (similar to Smash, just without banning everything interesting). The fact that some characters can use the environment better than others or that some are better in close quarters, while some prefer open stages, makes the game much more interesting in my opinion. That's a vital part of the game and that's why I think Danger Zone should first be tested in a competitive setting before swinging the ban hammer.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
It's a bullshit stage but we have never banned stages before based on bullshit. Hayabusa gets similar damage with a ceiling and a lot of the cast can't match it or do anything about it. Dojo is our only banned stage and it's a completely different scenario.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD