System Stick with DoA5 or get DoA5U?

dawgpilez

I played DoA5 for maybe 2 weeks. I like game but got away from gaming for a good while. I return to a new version. My question is the topic. Is Ultimate adding enough to the gameplay to make it worth investing? I wouldn't consider getting it until Black Friday does something to the price. I feel like it's 'Super/Arcade" street fighter all over again rewarding those that waited. I supported the company and bought DoA5 with all the fixins (minus dlc costumes... they should really be free/unlockable...) only to be slapped in the face with a better version a year later at half price.

Is DoA5 getting patches/updates similar to Ultimate (moves, fixs, etc), or is it vaporware? Was there any benefit in having both? Am I able to play online with my old version against those with Ultimate? I did find a few topics on the matter, but anything recent/relevant touts DoA5U and not mention the game before it.

tonyz723

It depends on how much you enjoy the game, and how you play it, really. If you want to play online enjoyably, then upgrading is the way to go, if you're an offline player it isn't nearly as relevant (although, I'd imagine you are). I don't know how hard it is to get into a game in 5 anymore, but I'd think it would take quite a while, assuming you can get one at all. Aside from that, I do recommend getting it at some point, the new content is very nice, but it would really depend on you to decide if you really like the game enough to get it immediately, or are able to wait for a sale/price drop. DOA5 at this point can basically be considered vaporware, TN is focusing on DOA5U now exclusively.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
dawgpilez said:
I played DoA5 for maybe 2 weeks. I like game but got away from gaming for a good while. I return to a new version. My question is the topic. Is Ultimate adding enough to the gameplay to make it worth investing? I wouldn't consider getting it until Black Friday does something to the price. I feel like it's 'Super/Arcade" street fighter all over again rewarding those that waited. I supported the company and bought DoA5 with all the fixins (minus dlc costumes... they should really be free/unlockable...) only to be slapped in the face with a better version a year later at half price.

Is DoA5 getting patches/updates similar to Ultimate (moves, fixs, etc), or is it vaporware? Was there any benefit in having both? Am I able to play online with my old version against those with Ultimate? I did find a few topics on the matter, but anything recent/relevant touts DoA5U and not mention the game before it.

The whole cast has been rebalanced and reworked.. with extra moves in their arsenal
Theres 6 new stages and 5 new characters (soon to be 6)
The general stun game and ground game have been reworked and tweaked.
Theres a shit ton of new modes and online features.
You might as well call this game a sequel rather than just an update..

Its up to u in the end..
But personally I would never go back to vanilla DOA5 after playing DOA5U

UpSideDownGRUNT

5U is the way to go, reworked character movesets, frames and inputs in some cases, infinitely better online now w/ 100% more tag ranked, tag co-op and improved netcode, 5 new characters, Ein (returning), Leon (returning), Rachel, Momiji and Jacky (from VF), 6 stages, Forest (from DOA3), Lost World (from DOA3), Haunted Lorelei (halloween varient of the DOA3 classic Lorelei), Sky City Tokyo, Airfield, and a desert stage (I forget the name), custom soundtrack (can choose character themes from DOA4, DOA5 OST and themes from DOA3 and DOA2), more costumes on disc as well as DLC along with some returning classics and brand new costumes exclusive to 5U and some vanilla 5 dlc on disc for free, new modes including the return of Team Battle mode (now renamed Team Fight) and the return of classic DOA Survival mode ( where you collect items that return health, get double points etc.) and more.

5U is worth more than the $40 asking price, like cow said it's less of an update and more like a new game entirely

Brute

Standard Donor
Gameplay mechanics and character balance are worse in 5U, but some characters did get better/more fun, plus you get the new characters (Leon being one of the coolest characters in the series), plus new stages, plus the much-needed music selection, plus online (DOA5 vanilla is dead online), plus new costumes (if you care) etc.

So yeah, it's worth it.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Get 5U. Pretty much every reason to get it has been stated.

Batcommander

Gameplay mechanics and character balance are worse in 5U, but some characters did get better/more fun, plus you get the new characters (Leon being one of the coolest characters in the series), plus new stages, plus the much-needed music selection, plus online (DOA5 vanilla is dead online), plus new costumes (if you care) etc.

So yeah, it's worth it.

this 1000x

dawgpilez

There never seems to be (m)any people playing online. I'm hoping it goes on sale. I guess the main reason I would get it is for some of the new characters, some updates, but mostly for having people to play with online.

Number 13

No reason to stick with vanilla. The community mostly moved on to the latest version similar with how other game updates have people migrated in masses like MvC 3 > UMvC 3 and SFIV >SSFIV > SSFIV AE > and soon to be USFIV.

dawgpilez

The game seems to temporarily have dropped by $10. The new version with Marie, do we have any clue to if the game will make it stateside?

Yeah just move to 5U but keep vanilla for collecting's sake if that's your thing.

It was confused because I wouldn't have a use collecting 'sake' as in the drink. I might need to stop hanging around my Asian friends :confused:

Argentus

The whole cast has been rebalanced and reworked.. with extra moves in their arsenal
Theres 6 new stages and 5 new characters (soon to be 6)
The general stun game and ground game have been reworked and tweaked.
Theres a shit ton of new modes and online features.
You might as well call this game a sequel rather than just an update..

Its up to u in the end..
But personally I would never go back to vanilla DOA5 after playing DOA5U

The music options ALONE make 5U vastly superior.

No more karaoke night rap! YAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

dawgpilez

As an update, I got it on Ebay for about 28 bucks.

Got as many achievements as I could and got to rank C- like it even mattered. I realized that the costumes I wanted to unlock were available in 5U via the same method. If anything, playing vanilla was a bad idea in the transition as moves are moved around/removed (why is P+K moved from Ltrig to Lshoulder?) and Oki was mega nerfed.

In preparation, I trying to limited my Oki moveset to only downed throws.

And yeah... @Argentus , when I saw the music customization options... I jizzed my pants. I pretty much hate the DoA5 music... but the option to move it around is.... YES. Though, I'm sure I'll still have my own tracks playing in the background.

skullknight

another cool thing about 5 is if you have dlc costumes from it. you can use that on 5u for free. cause you dont have to pay again for the costumes you got from 5.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD