Teach Me How To Dance

Echo01

I'm coming into DOA5 from SCV, where the movement system is pretty fluid. In comparison, DOA is feeling a little stiff, and I'm not sure where to place sidesteps as the majority of attacks seem to automatically track. I really don't like being static in 3D fighters, but I don't know how to approach movement in DOA. Drop some advice on me, please? \^^/

Doug Nguyen

Thats strange, most people say DOA is the most fluid fighting game. Side steps are for moves that hit straight and are also good for moves that require the enemy to run at you first. Also the side step P or K are also good moves to use to mix things up. And my biggest advice for you in DOA is, mix up your attacks and stop a combo mid way and grab people who counter a lot.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Well first off, if you're going to sidestep you want to use the actual sidestep command, 22/88 or 2/8H+P+K (depending on how you have set it in options) to avoid strikes. It has far better evasive properties than simply trying to freestep with [2] or [8]. This is similar to what using a quickstep in SCV does.

As to when to sidestep, that is another thing you have to be careful with because the sidestep command has a bit of recovery on it.

There are a few applications of it that work well.

On the approach....

Skip to 2:50

I know Vanessa wants to stop me with Jann's long-range mid kicks, but I also know they are very linear. Realizing that there is more than a little tunnel vision going, I decide to run just to the edge of the killzone and step, hoping to bait a linear whiff. On the second attempt at 2:54, it works perfectly and I I take advantage of the situation.

Another way is to wait until you are at a minor disadvantage and use it the same way you would in Soul Calibur or VF. For example, I use 4K with bayman and it gets blocked, putting me at -3. I am safe, so if I am anticipating a linear strike in response I will simply step it in anticipation.

Now the most SOLID reason to use a step is break the delay mixup. What I mean is, if you notice there are a lot of strings that have a major delayability factor to them. Even if they are unsafe, if they can be delayed forever that keeps the defender on lockdown, guessing when to strike. A smart way to break that is to wait until right before the last possible strike in the string, and then step into an attack. If your opponent strikes, he will whiff and you'll hit him. If you stepped early enough and buffered your strike, he wont be able to throw you during your step either. This method can be used to break faux lockdown situations very effeciently.

Echo01

Thanks for the advice. I noticed pretty quickly that 2_8 alone won't allow the character to cover a lot of distance when they step. It's a little intimidating for me right now to try and pinpoint windows in my opponent's offense where I can step and hopefully swing the momentum in my favour. When my opponent is going nuts, I'm prone to holding :h: and looking for somewhere to poke them. Hasn't worked out particularly too well, but for now I'm just taking my beatings and trying to learn what's what.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Beatings are going to happen. Take them in stride until you get it down, and take a little bit a day at a time. It will take a while to start recognizing every string in the game and what every character can do. Only experience solves this problem.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD