News Team NINJA Costume Contest

Brute

Standard Donor
I'm still shocked at some people's reactions to this contest, especially after TN announced the voting rules/restrictions. It's like some people are actually surprised by the vote distribution and got offended it didn't live up to their unrealistic expectations.

I'm not saying that certain submissions are bad and I'm not trying to be rude, but this is just the way it goes with anything that dips into what people call "creative" work. Most artists or would-be artists will tell you that any time you have something to show the world, it is going to try and push you back ten steps for every one step you try to make forward. And even if the general public wanted to be nice and encouraging (which is not something they're known for), the strict voting system would weed out "vote support" for mere sentiment, and the free-rider problem would do the rest.

I'm not saying this should have or should ever deter someone from pursuing things like this. Quite the opposite. Keep pushing back and never give up, even if your submission only has a few likes. That doesn't make it bad and it doesn't make it inferior. But don't take things personally if you don't have a submission with 500 likes. You can't expect the world to turn over for everything you produce, even if you poured your blood, sweat, tears and heart into it. Just don't let it get you down. Strengthen your resolve, and be grateful for all those who did enjoy what you made and benefited from it somehow, regardless how many people that may be.

David Gregg

Promised I would eventually make this and it took a while. lol Here's your current
Top Entries for Each Character (updated 11:53 PM EST)
Akira: Bananakira (225 votes)
Alpha: Rainbow (230 votes)
Ayane: Ivy-Inspired (295 votes)
Bass: King (216 votes)
Bayman: Final Strike Combat Armor (137 votes)
Brad: Bandage Wrapped Fur Skin with Rice Hat (166 votes)
Christie: Sci-Fi Assassin Bodysuit (209 votes)
Ein: Cloaked Militant (43 votes)
Eliot: Punk Rock (614 votes)
Gen Fu: Tiger Pants Chinese Outfit (73 votes)
Hayabusa: Scarf Slasher (388 votes)
Hayate: Enlightened Shadow Ninja (216 votes)
Helena: Swan Outfit (281 votes)
Hitomi: Militant (323 votes)
Jacky: Red T-shirt Jeans (38 votes)
Jann: "The Dragon" tank top and jeans (265 votes)
Kasumi: Blue Kimono with Armor (569 votes)
Kokoro: Pink and Blue Dress with White Cloak (119 votes)
Lei Fang: Skimpy Black Ying Yang Dress (196 votes)
Leon: Desert Marauder (123 votes)
Lisa: White Hooded Outfit with Pants (176 votes)
Marie Rose: Black Leather Jacket and Suspender Shorts (609 votes)
Mila: Military Fighter (185 votes 1st pic, 53 votes repeat pic)
Momiji: Festive Kimono With Lights (159 votes)
Pai: Chinese Princess (101 votes)
Phase 4: Escaped Lab Experiment (90 votes)
Rachel: Black Spider with Armor Arm (~23.7 K votes)
Rig: Black Hoodie and Jeans (333 votes)
Sarah: Cervantes inspired (101 votes)
Tina: Wrestling Rocker (271 votes)
Zack: Sisqo inspired (52 votes)

Last edited:

Argentus

Promised I would eventually make this and it took a while. lol Here's your current
Top Entries for Each Character (updated 11:53 PM EST)
Akira: Bananakira (225 votes)
Alpha: Rainbow (230 votes)
Ayane: Ivy-Inspired (295 votes)
Bass: King (216 votes)
Bayman: Final Strike Combat Armor (137 votes)
Brad: Bandage Wrapped Fur Skin with Rice Hat (166 votes)
Christie: Sci-Fi Assassin Bodysuit (209 votes)
Ein: Cloaked Militant (43 votes)
Eliot: Punk Rock (614 votes)
Gen Fu: Zebra Pants Chinese Outfit (73 votes)
Hayabusa: Scarf Slasher (388 votes)
Hayate: Enlightened Shadow Ninja (216 votes)
Helena: Swan Outfit (281 votes)
Hitomi: Militant (323 votes)
Jacky: Red T-shirt Jeans (38 votes)
Jann: "The Dragon" tank top and jeans (265 votes)
Kasumi: Blue Kimono with Armor (569 votes)
Kokoro: Pink and Blue Dress with White Cloak (119 votes)
Lei Fang: Skimpy Black Ying Yang Dress (196 votes)
Leon: Desert Marauder (123 votes)
Lisa: White Hooded Outfit with Pants (176 votes)
Marie Rose: Black Leather Jacket and Suspender Shorts (609 votes)
Mila: Military Fighter (185 votes 1st pic, 53 votes repeat pic)
Momiji: (159 votes...whatever you call this. XD)
10273427_520535041383919_3005601406678568288_n.jpg

Pai: Chinese Princess (101 votes)
Phase 4: Escaped Lab Experiment (90 votes)
Rachel: Black Spider with Armor Arm (~23.7 K votes)
Rig: Black Hoodie and Jeans (333 votes)
Rachel: Cervantes inspired (101 votes)
Tina: Wrestling Rocker (271 votes)
Zack: Sisqo inspired (52 votes)

But seriously if someone could give a brief description of what Momiji is wearing I'd appreciate it so I could remove the pic. XD
rawr. I have the same opinion as the casual outfit as far as metal slug Mila. I fully admit its a cute image, but i can't vote for/support an outfit that doesn't fit the character its put on. wwhich is my general dissappointment with a lot of the entries.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I'm still shocked at some people's reactions to this contest, especially after TN announced the voting rules/restrictions. It's like some people are actually surprised by the vote distribution and got offended it didn't live up to their unrealistic expectations.

I'm not saying that certain submissions are bad and I'm not trying to be rude, but this is just the way it goes with anything that dips into what people call "creative" work. Most artists or would-be artists will tell you that any time you have something to show the world, it is going to try and push you back ten steps for every one step you try to make forward. And even if the general public wanted to be nice and encouraging (which is not something they're known for), the strict voting system would weed out "vote support" for mere sentiment, and the free-rider problem would do the rest.

I'm not saying this should have or should ever deter someone from pursuing things like this. Quite the opposite. Keep pushing back and never give up, even if your submission only has a few likes. That doesn't make it bad and it doesn't make it inferior. But don't take things personally if you don't have a submission with 500 likes. You can't expect the world to turn over for everything you produce, even if you poured your blood, sweat, tears and heart into it. Just don't let it get you down. Strengthen your resolve, and be grateful for all those who did enjoy what you made and benefited from it somehow, regardless how many people that may be.

Very true, good post! :)

What also astounds me every time, are certain contestants with objectively not good entries (which is also reflected in very low votes), but with an unnaturally big dose of confidence, already crossing into pure arrogance. After a while, they really get mad and mean, because they think, it's highly unfair and some sort of big conspiracy against them, that they are not getting any more votes. They start to openly complain over and over again, that they aren't treated equal, that maybe their entry is just too good and they go around writing mean remarks about other very well doing designs. There's this one person, who joined the contest a little late, who is really getting on my nerves. Now, after complaining everywhere on Facebook, I see him claiming, that some of the really well drawn and designed outfits must have been stolen, because obviously no real person (like himself) can draw this good... I always have this growing urge, to give him an earful, but then I don't, because I should keep a low profile, as I am a contestant myself. I really wish, someone would tell that person, what an untalented, narcissistic, mean jerk he is... Sorry. :(

I hop

i think there are many people that are cheating, creating more accounts to vote on their "favorite costume" -_-
Social media is useless for this sort of thing, especially facebook. You can buy mass amounts of likes for next to nothing if you know where to look. Mass liking from fake accounts is rampant on facebook, people buy them for marketing purposes to try and promote products, there's basically a huge blackmarket for these.

It was annoying trying to submit the entries via social media as well, I tried to talk to @teamninjastudio 3 or 4 times but they add my posts to their favourites then don't reply or anything, so I have no idea why my entry was never accepted. I know it's probably hard for them to keep track of everything on twitter but it's a bit annoying nonetheless. If they had just put an email address or website form for people to enter it would have saved a lot of trouble.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
They still seem to be adding designs to the contest even though the deadline is tomorrow... They also seem to award them each about 50 Likes by default...

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Very true, good post! :)

What also astounds me every time, are certain contestants with objectively not good entries (which is also reflected in very low votes), but with an unnaturally big dose of confidence, already crossing into pure arrogance. After a while, they really get mad and mean, because they think, it's highly unfair and some sort of big conspiracy against them, that they are not getting any more votes. They start to openly complain over and over again, that they aren't treated equal, that maybe their entry is just too good and they go around writing mean remarks about other very well doing designs. There's this one person, who joined the contest a little late, who is really getting on my nerves. Now, after complaining everywhere on Facebook, I see him claiming, that some of the really well drawn and designed outfits must have been stolen, because obviously no real person (like himself) can draw this good... I always have this growing urge, to give him an earful, but then I don't, because I should keep a low profile, as I am a contestant myself. I really wish, someone would tell that person, what an untalented, narcissistic, mean jerk he is... Sorry. :(
No... it is I who should be apologizing.

I let my obsessive desire to get the trenchcoat at any cost consume me at the expense of my own humanity, and I'm sorry about that.

JKT

Wow out of the Gen Fu designs, mine has the most likes! I didn't expect so many votes!

I chose to do an entry for Gen Fu because at the time he didn't have any; I was disappointed that no one paid attention to the elder. Its good to know so many people still favour him!

@David Gregg Those are supposed to be white tiger pants, not zebra pants XD! But its ok I can see how there could be a misunderstanding.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD