Team Ninja Twitter

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
The Izuna drop has been really easy to pull off since DOA3 because they made the whole input buffering system way looser. It's one of the few cons that DOA3 has going against it but it's basically possible to just spin your thumb around the d-pad and the only thing that requires proper timing is the button presses but those are much more loose than other fighters. I was struggling with King's even simplest moves, having only DOA-experience, haha.

Yup, air throws were introduced in DOA3. They were also useful there to boot, unlike in DOA4 where they're almost impossible to get.

The Izuna also didn't do nearly as much damage in DOA3 unless it was HI-counter or off a cliff.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Either as a hold or throw, I like to pull off the Izuna Drop by doing the initial input with the d-pad and finishing it off with the stick. But that's just me.

So you're over complicating the input?

You realize you can just keep rotating and mashing throw with a 0% chance of failure, right?

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
That was silly.

Anyway, I guess I'm just overlooking it and I need to try a few times. I mean, if I can do a Gigaton punch easily with a pad, then this shouldn't be a problem.

Berzerk!

Looks like expert hold is indeed currently middle only. What is unknown is whether it is forward/back for punches, back/forward for kicks, or just one advanced command for all middle.

But wait, there's more:

EDIT - added first tweet

In a recent media event in San Francisco is "DEAD OR ALIVE 5" has also demonstrated the changes hold. In addition to the three selected orthodox upper middle lower, middle only "experts hold" has been introduced to all the characters.

"Hold Expert" are punches and kicks, but also difficult commands in the command requires a different response, in order to exceed the performance of all frames hold regular damage than the normal "hold" and the 使I分Ke will be important.

For example, a person "power blow" If you've been hitting, so slow to occur, "Hold Expert" is aiming for a chance. "Power-blow" can take hold in the usual attributes "hit" So they are.

As the fighting system is a "side step" has been introduced. Timely manner by the side step, you can avoid the blow, regardless of the lower linear Kaminaka. I fight DOA3 (in North America what is called DOA3.1) getting closer to the feel of.

"Guard" or "hold" in addition to "avoid the side" so that there is a choice, shot straight to the technique may also be advantageous guard.

In addition to the "hit counter" "critical," "throw", I had also contains minor changes, such as, here too detailed so I will explain later.

In addition to the "hit counter" "critical," "throw", I had also contains minor changes, such as, here too detailed so I will explain later.

Berzerk!

Getting closer to the feel of 3.1..... Sidestepping seems to be a key element. Good news it seems.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Our complaints were heard ;). If I remember correctly, the X05 build also allowed sidestepping similar to DOA3.1. Obviously they've been listening to us as they even cared to mention that specific version over just "DOA3".

It also looks like normal holds won't hold a Power Blow, but only an expert hold can. Interesting to see. I hope there are other moves that will go through normal but not expert holds.

Berzerk!

One additional I can't quite parse:

Experts say falcon synonymous Masani tricks "Iizuna hold down" or "hold expert" has to. The usual "hold" is a new technique contains all.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
lets get someone who actually speaks the damn language, shall we?

This babel nonsense is too loose... we're gonna start making false assumptions.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I don't see where it says expert holds are only for the mid. We did see the izuna off of a high hold that was also held in a normal high hold later. Not saying that it's definitely not exclusive to mid level, but not saying that it is either. Just saying we should hold off until it's properly translated.

Also popped it up to the front page.

Berzerk!

Agree, we will anticipate the official translation, but this is news hot off the feed. It does solidify a couple of things as is. The key ones we can be reasonably sure we understand are:

Sidestepping with some evasive effect will be implemented
Holds are 3 directional, Expert holds are Middle only. Split of execution of Middle Expert hold versus punches or kicks, or universal, still to be confirmed
Power Blows are indicated to not be possible to hold normally, only Expert hold.

Speculation: I feel that this is a good modification to pare back the holds while keeping them standardised and important to the gameplay, while simultaneously looking at Sidestepping to increase the options.

The idea that Power Blows cannot be held normally, is exciting - it means they are willing to set up some clear exceptions and options to play off against what is still a very smartly built universal set of mechanics. Feeling optimistic about this info right now.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD