Team Ninja Twitter

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
[D-YS] Continuing the hold talk from yesterday... In DOA, there are a lot of moves that target mid (as opposed to high or low)

[D-YS] But if those mids are easily held, then, in effect, reduce your choices for offense while your opponent is in a critical state.

[D-YS] Another way of putting is: even if you read your opponent correctly and strike, you can't keep your strike attacks going.

[D-YS] Of course you still have throws so there's still some gameplay thought going on, but it's harder to keep the fun balanced.

[D-YS] So I wracked my brains about different hold systems.

[D-YS] I've seen some of your tweets talking about ideas we tried out earlier. We tried some pretty strange ideas too.

[D-YS] We tried a bunch of things, but the one idea left standing was having a mid expert hold. This is what we used in the demo.

[D-YS] I was worried about a few things though. Maybe 3-point holds would become the safe bet.

[D-YS] Or people would choose 3-point holds just because that's the strategy their opponent used.

[D-YS] That's why I waited until the end to try it out.

[D-YS] To be continued... (A lot of you are asking for more character info. It's in the works! Hang on just a little longer!)

It's nice that he is paying attention at least.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I don't mind the guessing game, but it's a one button guessing game. It requires so little input and effort it's fascinating.

INCOMING ATTACK BEEP BOOP HOLDHOLDHOLDHOLDHOLDHOLD >Inflicted +60 damage > You win

Even Bloody Roar had you put in some effort after guessing a mix-up and those games were shit around mid-200Xs.

DrDogg

If holds are still the best form of defense, the game will not be tournament worthy. Period.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
(Continuing from yesterday...) Trying to solve this thing mathematically, I made a tool that would compute expected damage.

It would transform behavior patterns and quirks into a simple percentage and spit out the expected value.

That chart would change the expected values when I changed move values and behavior patterns.

It was really helpful in finding a good balance for the 3-point+expert holds.

Through the math, it led me to a balance that would put players at a disadvantage if they spammed 3-point holds.

Then it was all about putting those values in and trying them out in the game.

Those values are reflected in the frame counts and damage of the Alpha Demo.

If you play *someone of the same skill level*, I think you'll find the tactics and balance feel good.

Oh yeah. According to that chart, 4-point holds that do slightly less damage are more likely to lead to some exciting outcomes.

But at the end of the day, it's just a mathematical simulation...

The real test of a system is seeing it in action. Let me know about any tournaments or videos uploaded! (To be continued...)

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
So basically, he's saying "yo dawg, it's cool. i've got charts."

But no, no it is not...

It doesn't matter if a person is at a disadvantage for spamming 3 point holds often. Someone only has to do it once to piss me off.

It's too easy and gets you out of too much. The damage is an afterthought to the abomination. If he actually required a math simulator to tell him that over time it was disadvantageous to spam a counter, the counter is too good.

As to the hinting of possible 4 point usage, it's better, but it still doesn't fix the real problem. And what does he mean by slightly less damage? slightly less than the damage we have in the alpha build now? or slightly less than the damage we had in DOA 4?

x Sypher x

What if, in addition to removing holds from stun, they integrated a meter system for holds? Basically you can only hold when the meter is full, and the meter will refill after say...3 seconds? During that interval you will have to commit to blocking and/or spacing until you're able to hold again. Bam, no more spamming. I'm not sure if this idea was suggested already but I'm just throwing it out there.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Just shorten the active window, and kill it from stun. That's all that needs to happen.

If you added any other kind of meter mechanic into the game it would need a lot more time to be thoroughly developed. Time which, unfortunately, is no longer on our side. Because honestly, if you've got meter that refills in 3 seconds, why would you even bother showing a meter? It'll just sit there and be full 99% of the time.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
[DS] After rigorous scientific testing I came to the conclusion that...

nope, it doesn't need any change to it whatsoever. Except for the damage...I guess.

So, decreasing damage on normal holds seems logical. I mean, it's not like anyone except me in the office plays the game, so I just had to go back to basic game theory and theory crafting.

I hope you'll enjoy using this in tournaments and appreciate my vision.

x Sypher x

Just shorten the active window, and kill it from stun. That's all that needs to happen.

You make it sound so simple lol, but I guess it is anyway. Shorten active windows and increase recovery right? That's what I've heard. It would be interesting to see how the role of holds would play out while being excluded from stun. I guess it would be somewhat similar to reversals in VF.

If you added any other kind of meter mechanic into the game it would need a lot more time to be thoroughly developed. Time which, unfortunately, is no longer on our side. Because honestly, if you've got meter that refills in 3 seconds, why would you even bother showing a meter? It'll just sit there and be full 99% of the time.

I forgot about that, good point.

DrDogg

You make it sound so simple lol, but I guess it is anyway. Shorten active windows and increase recovery right? That's what I've heard. It would be interesting to see how the role of holds would play out while being excluded from stun. I guess it would be somewhat similar to reversals in VF.

Every other competitive fighting game known to man does not allow the defending player to inflict damage on the offensive player during a stun. So look at pretty much ANY other fighting game which is more widely accepted in tournaments than DOA, and that's what it would be like.

On a side note, Tekken Tag 2 is using the SC5 netcode. Team Ninja needs to just pay Namco to let them use it for DOA5 as well. Please...

HokutoNoBen

On a side note, Tekken Tag 2 is using the SC5 netcode. Team Ninja needs to just pay Namco to let them use it for DOA5 as well. Please...

It's a good sign, but I'm still going to play the "wait and see" approach. TTT2 stand to have a LOT more data to trade back and forth, so it'll be a real test of the "SCV netcode" to see if it can truly be engineered to handle it all.

DrDogg

It's a good sign, but I'm still going to play the "wait and see" approach. TTT2 stand to have a LOT more data to trade back and forth, so it'll be a real test of the "SCV netcode" to see if it can truly be engineered to handle it all.

TTT2 has 1v1 mode which is pretty much identical to SC5. Even if it lags a bit in 2v2, it'll be 10x better than DOA4 or Tekken 6 netcode.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
ファンの方からとても素敵なプレゼントをいただきました! ありがとうございます!

このファンメイドアーケードスティックです。天板の熱いデザイン。特大の木製ボディの安定度。各種機能もとにかくスゴイ!http://pic.twitter.com/IFUAQ0O8

そして裏面にはメッセージが…感動しました!これで気合が入らないわけがない!いいゲームをつくることでこれに応えます。 http://pic.twitter.com/ctIfvwuY

まずは今週、新しい情報を出しますので、お楽しみに!

Google Translation:
I received a very nice gift from the fans! Thank you!
This is fan-made arcade stick. Hot plate design heaven. Stability of oversized wooden body. Various features great anyway!
On the back, and the message I was impressed! So there is no fighting spirit can not be marked on it! Responds to this by creating a good game.
This week, We'll release the new information first, to enjoy!

ArIVuJJCQAAEMWy.jpg large.jpg
ArIV5XMCEAA4amN.jpg large.jpg

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Official translation's up:
I got an awesome present from some fans! Thank you so much!

The passion in the top image, the stability of the extra-large wooden body, everything about it is amazing.

I was so moved by the message on the bottom!

This has given me so much energy, and that energy is going right back into making the game even better!

We'll be sharing new info this week too, so stay tuned!

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD