Tekken

Rob

The Dragon Shrine Maiden
Premium Donor
So all the budget went to the Story mode. Everything else feels lacking in content. This is a $30 game.

Seriously what the fuck are these customization options? Where are the classic outfits? This is worse than Tekken 7.

"Full package game" My ass lmao

I love how these shitty Xbox 360 Avatars have more customization options because you know we'll be playing as them 99% of the time.

Last edited:

Kasumi-Phase-X

Heres something abit cursed straight from the pits of deviantart:

Cursed Steve HQ 1.png

Cursed Steve HQ 2.png

Cursed Steve HQ 3.png

Cursed Steve HQ 4.png

Kasumi-Phase-X

but SC6 was almost all reused assets 90% of the customisation items were from SCV and the F2P game) the only things completely new were some of the DLC and the SC6 character costumes.

Tekken 8 has a few reused items from 7 but almost all the tops and bottoms and costumes are brand new lol
And that is a reason why SC6 has a better customization mode than what Tekken 8 has to offer right now.

So all the budget went to the Story mode. Everything else feels lacking in content. This is a $30 game.

Seriously what the fuck are these customization options? Where are the classic outfits? This is worse than Tekken 7.

"Full package game" My ass lmao

I love how these shitty Xbox 360 Avatars have more customization options because you know we'll be playing as them 99% of the time.
They also had Arcade Quest Mode which is a map you can explore around, which would require budget as well. Tekken customization are only good adding new features but at the same time create some backwards decision from merging Upperbody & Arms and Lowerbody & Legs (which Tekken 8 just separate Lower Body & Shoes), not being able mix-match Default Items with other Custom Items for Tekken 8 (I thought TTT2 Customization was terrible because it merged categories), and flooding the game with generic clothes with different patterns that you could find if you were clothes shopping (like Kohl's, Walmart, Target to name a few).

• Star
Reactions: Rob

Rob

The Dragon Shrine Maiden
Premium Donor
Even the new universal clothing items aren't exactly form fitting either. Lmao yeah like clothes out of the 90% Clearance section at Kohl's. Spot on. :D:D:D:D

Some quick impressions of Tekken 8

+ Reina. I liked her characterization a lot in the Story Mode and she is a blast to play. Love the Taido and Mishima hybrid fighting style. Love her voice acting. Bonus: stockings and boots FTMFW
+ Awesome stages with good variety of gimmicks (wall breaks, floor breaks, explosive walls, etc). Lighting and graphics for the stages are on point. Music isn't that shitty wubwub crap from Tekekn 7
+ Game feels extremely responsive. Tekken 7 offline felt a bit delayed with inputs (and this was intentional to mimic online play) but here everything feels snappy. You don't have the fluid movements of DOA but it also lacks a lot of that characteristic stiffness from previous Tekkens IMO
+ I liked how Story Mode broke up the fighting gameplay by including the beat-em-up Tekken Force in one of the chapters.
+ Story Mode had good pacing although the ending fight with Jin and Kazuya dragged on a little too long
+ I liked the direction of the cutscenes but could have used less constipated Jin closeups
+ Free frame data
+ Training options, replay takeover feature, Combo Challenges, Punishment Training, Game recommended "Main Techniques" that condense what they think are the most important tools for each character to around 20 moves, etc.
+ Instant match load times (Burger King Loading Screen is dead! Long live the King!)
+ Jun is back

- Thin plotline, bad writing
- A lot of the cosmetic options are meh and not quite as form fitting as they should be for each character
- Missing classic costumes and hairstyles. How do you not include Whorewang's and Oscar's iconic outfit? C'mon
- I can't mix and match a character's default top or bottom with other clothing options? I could in T7.
- Leroy and Zafina's voice acting/dialogue in the Story. ("Believe in yourself!" - Leroy was so eyeroll)
- Obvious the Story Mode got most of the budget as the other game modes feel lacking in content
- While a tutorial is appreciated, a lot is still left unexplained
- Combos are still too long and have insane wall carry. The wall game is obnoxious with how many free hits you can get on an opponent.

TBD
- Ghost AI
- Netcode
- Heat System

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I finished the main story. It was definitely alot, it wasn't as big as I hoped since I felt it was shorter than I anticipated but I can excuse that since the game was unveiled like a year ago and would have released earlier had SF6 not dropped, I think the game was finished for a while but just needed tweaks with the various testing. I like how everyone had a part somehow in the story even if their role wasn't major, and I liked how everyone for the most part interacted with one another.

I was disappointed at the fate of specific characters but I liked the ending, and how even the bad ending seemed nicely executed. The character specific endings were far better than T7 imo, and I liked the what ifs of them like if the specific characters had survived or won the tournament, it made everyone feel more interactive. The beat em up part of the story mode against the soldiers was fun but it did eventually feel drawn out, especially since I had to use characters I don't normally use.

Still playing the arcade quest so I can't say much yet but I like the current locales and how everyone seems to have their own personas like Prim who's into customization and the others who have their main focus like how pretty much everyone is in the gaming community.

Customization could be better but I think it's a good starter for more stuff to come, I think the game will expand it like how SC6 did when their starter stuff was limited but eventually grew. They did however miss the opportunity to make everything universal since I think they could have just made that a thing for everyone but maybe they're planning more stuff and want to keep interest in the game so they're not shelling everything out at once.

Overall I'd rate the current game a 9/10. I see even bigger things to come for it, maybe even a possible story expansion since I think that's a thing now to keep the story going but idk how they'll handle that with all the varied VAs xD

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
I finished the main story as well. I have nothing but positive feelings of it, especially towards the ending and how greatly executed it was. Like what @KasumiLover said, I also enjoyed how a lot of the cast was involved in the main story. The Tekken force mini game was an interesting change of pace as well. It wasn't too short, nor too long, but just right. The post credits ending scene put quite a big smirk on my face (not going to spoil it for some who haven't played it yet). I'm going to post my thought on the side character episodes later.

UpSideDownGRUNT

I also beat story mode last night and... man what the fuck is the point of Asuka even being in the story... she doesn't interact with Jin ONCE! She's in the same room as him at best and shows up to save Alisa in the Civil War fight then disappears for the rest of the game. Like there's so much they could have done with her, like considering a certain part of the end fight they could have at least had her teach him Kazama style or SOMETHING, ANYTHING.

Kasumi-Phase-X

Only problem I had is Devil form Reina looked hilariously bad

@Kasumi-Phase-X

No wonder the game is so lacking in fanservice lol
Localization Teams are a disgrace to games made in Japan or any foreign country that isn't US that is very censor happy when it comes to worldwide releases, they're a good reason games should only be available in Japan & Asia releases (like DOA for example), and a good reason that Localization Companies should be replaced by AI (because these people don't like it when AI translate stuff instead of them doing it).

• Star
Reactions: Rob

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Would someone be so kind as to make a mod that changes the buttons to DOA notation? How would I do it? I am struggling with these gray and white buttons.

Quick mockup
dYvy2JA.png

Last edited:

Rob

The Dragon Shrine Maiden
Premium Donor
Would someone be so kind as to make a mod that changes the buttons to DOA notation? How would I do it? I am struggling with these gray and white buttons.

Quick mockup
Someone did a mod for the demo atleast:

TheHunterKiller692

I also beat story mode last night and... man what the fuck is the point of Asuka even being in the story... she doesn't interact with Jin ONCE! Like there's so much they could have done with her, like considering a certain part of the end fight they could have at least had her teach him Kazama style or SOMETHING, ANYTHING.
Yeah, the story in general is a trainwreck and a half, but that's to be expected for a game that'll go down in history for having one of the biggest PR shitshows of all time, while no mention of sales figures have come out to support the positive word-of-mouth.

Rob

The Dragon Shrine Maiden
Premium Donor
Biggest PR shitshows of all time? What in the world are you talking about?

As to the story itself, well I'm biased there cause I love Reina and liked it everytime she was on camera. In terms of fighting game standards for stories (which is already low) it was better than I expected.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD