Tekken

Derock

Azucena would be sick in a DOA game. But yeah she's sick af. The 3 newcomers are dope.

I definitely agree with you. But overall, she's like Mila with some Sarah Bryant (VF5 and updates in terms of her stepping stances) and bits of Lucky Chloe (a better and not annoying one!) on steroids AND caffeine!

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
In regards to the whole assets thing. It is also possible that they simply made similar ones where it throws people off into thinking it's reused DOA bits.

I mean Shimbori is there. For all we know, he could of basically used whatever he had there that made it DOA-like. I think the man only brought his knowledge into the table. Supposedly he only put his attention in the environment department, but there might be more when he got the chance.

Last edited:

HHH816

all that doa design happen when players design it themself, shimbori knew players going to try it. same with RE theme. KT can't claim anything by it

T..J. Bernard

Took some time looking at T8's story (minus the character episodes. Not done looking through all of them). Given I didn't play the story but I watched as a spectator. I'll give praise where praise is due, this story is miles better than Tekken 7, heck even T6's. Not to say this is on par with Injustice. But this is a story mode that did what I hoped it would do in most parts.

Pros:
The final battle was excellent.

Jin was a solid protagonist. I'd say he's a much more understandable protagonist than T7 Heihachi. His progression, though anime-like in some ways, was well executed. And I think an active Jin always makes the story more engaging (compared to T7 Jin).

Kazuya was a good, menacing villain this game. T7 Kazuya was kinda an anti-villain to me that went from 0 to 100 . T8 showed Kazuya as an actual threat which has been missing in not only fighting games but even media in general.

This was the strongest I've seen Ling in. Ling as a character in this story is exactly what I was mentioning when I talked about seeing characters grow, develop, and having story arcs reach its conclusion. I don't know if the anime helped or something. But I actually liked Ling as a character in this story.

Supporting cast had some decent moments. Moments with Leroy, Hwoarang, etc. was solid enough for me. Leo had more shine as well, which was relatively good.

The tekken force stuff was very well put.

Ngl, I was feeling Azucena in the story.

Opening was strong (considering that's what we see with the T8 demo, I liked the opening a lot).

Ngl, Lars had a good role as well. I wasn't feeling that T6 Lars and T7 Lars didn't do much. This was a good story for him. He held his own against Kazuya for the most part. And he was a good deuteragonist.

For what little the iron fist tournament was, it was kinda cool to touch up on some of the other characters if not for a brief moment.

Cons:
This might be an unpopular opinion, but I wasn't a fan of Reina in this story.

Asuka was underwhelming. Though to her credit, she was much better than any of the other games (besides 5) and it look like they finally put that lili rivalry to bed (I don't know about the character episode though so...)

Wasn't feeling Victor neither. Felt like he was stepping on Ravens toes.

The other "antagonists" were super underwhelming (minus 1).

This might be super unpopular but Nina to me is pointless story-wise. Maybe T6 was the last time I saw Nina in a positive light story-wise.

Though Jun does make an appearance, it was underwhelming. To her credit, her character episode was good.

If I had to nitpick one aspect of the over-arching story it's basically, the power of friendship wins. While it's not a bad theme, I can't help but think they could've executed this better.

Overall, though the story did feel like a shonen anime in some regards and I really wasn't feeling Reina (Her character episode though was good and I still like her overall), Victor, & such, for a Tekken story, this was by far the best story to date. And I'll even give it bonus points because we got none of that narrator again.

Last edited:

Derock

DOA6's story was all about the adventures of Marie Rose and Honoka, until Raidou's resurrection via cyborg to get Kasumi and the ninjas into the action. A bit of a lackluster.

Now, despite the obvious shonen tropes to bring in some shout outs from DBZ, Naruto and Saint Seiya (looking at Angel Jin's design), Tekken 8's story was better than 7's attempt. And 7 was so damn silly because of the sudden usage of a reporter as the narrator. Next, we had Akuma of ALL people is part of Tekken's canon so to say Capcom's Street Fighter is included. If that's the case, where's Ryu? Does M. Bison and Shadaloo exist? What about Chun-Li, Ken, Cammy, etc.? Then we get to Kazuya and Heihachi's final battle when it tried to become DBZ and Heihachi was like hard as steel/diamond/unbreakable so he won't die. Not to mention the bonus fight with Akuma as Devil Kazuya.

8's story was not perfect though. There were some that was very weird to make you wanna say WTF?. Best examples were Marshall Law suddenly act like the bad guy for Paul during the war and parts of Nina's characterization. Not to mention for fans of Asuka, she was hardly involved, only for Lili brought forth the Kazama family tree to the point that Asuka doesn't know about Jun at all and also looking buddy-buddy with Jin.

Reina's inclusion was obvious from the start because of the leaks a year ago, so it wasn't nearly as a shocker to me as her being Heihachi's daughter and wants/has the Devil Gene. Though Azarel returning did because I thought the team did not like him as the boss, besides Jin trying to become Kazuya 2.0 in 6.

The good parts: Jin is back as a good protagonist and the ship of him and Xiaoyu is going to be canon.

Let me go into a bit more detail with the 8's storyline.

So, we are now in the Jin Vs. Kazuya "final" showdown. Overall, the development with Jin was on point. In my point of view, Harada and the Tekken team f***ed up Jin because somehow, they decided during Tekken 5, "Hey, let's make Jin Kazuya 2.0" with his ending, in which I predicted it back in high school. Lo and behold when Tekken 6 came out and it came true! I made a good validation on why 7's story was lackluster and it's not because of the finale of Kazuya's fight with Heihachi (it was needed), it was how it was executed. Also, we had to include the fate of Kazumi. The story's execution was very flawed. What made it worse was Akuma, from Street Fighter, was added into the major canonical plot when he supposed to be the guest star/fighter. Another thing was the team tried to give sympathy to Heihachi in the audience's point-of-view, when we all knew the bad things that he had done in the past games, excluded Tekken 2 when he switched places with Kazuya as a protagonist. And I already mention about the reporter as the narrator...

Back to 8's story, I did mention on my last post that there were shonen tropes included in the story: some came from Naruto as Jin had to fight Devil Jin three times (fighting your inner self). Although, many people didn't like the sudden heel-face turn of Jin's devil side as we saw in previous games, that form is AX-Crazy! Not to mention, the Devil form was trying to persuade Jin to accept him as protection. We all know DBZ is still the rage with the big and planet-destroying projectiles but then we had Saint Seiya involved (and I didn't even watch that franchise!) with Angel Jin's form looking almost exactly like the armor those characters wore. And his fight with True Devil Kazuya, in which that form was even more ridiculous than the 7 look or even Blood Vengeance, was the over-the-top fight, on an asteroid/land mass that went into space no less!

Before I get to my thoughts and reaction on the final battle, I need to say that Jin needed the shonen-type character development. As much as cliche it was, it worked for him to actual reach his goal of getting rid of the Devil Gene once and for all.

So, the clash between the two created a giant two-color wing (gold and purple) which exploded, and the crater fell back near Yakushima. We now see Jin and Kazuya back as humans and the Devil Gene was removed from both of them! Crazy but it worked! Then we get into the fight of father and son, pure martial arts, no lasers, transformations. And that's when the hype starts! Kazuya looked like he had the upper hand, but Jin would not go down. We then see a shoutout of Jin fixing his gauntlet on Tekken 3's cover and his theme song remixed as the background music, which shocked everyone as he went into Heihachi's fighting pose, indicating that we're playing Tekken 3/Tag 1 Jin! This shocked Kazuya during the fight which pissed him off! But then after 2 rounds, Kazuya said, "Power is everything!" then Jin said, "Power isn't everything", which even shocked players more as he began to use his mother's fighting pose and Landscape Under the Ghost -KAMINANO-, the closing theme for Tekken 2, plays in the background! Jin began using most of Jun's moveset, to a certain degree: he has the moonsault, Thunder Fall Kick, Demon Slayer/Tooth Fairy, 3-Ring Circus (I'm using the old names of Jun's moves) and the reversals! Kazuya was getting even more pissed, although he thought that knocking Jin to the rock and keep punching him to point of being braindead would work. NOPE! The shonen trope, the power of friendship, came to play! Yeah, another cliche, with QTEs, although needed as Jin realized that all of the BS he had done in the past, he was ignoring the people and relationships that were trying to help and stand by him. That makes him want to live and set to let go his hatred with his father. Which then led to the finale and climax, as Jin combines ALL 3 fighting styles: his current Karate, Mishima-style and Kazama-styles! (Why didn't we get that version as an unlockable or maybe a special boss in Arcade Battle Mode?) And the opening of the game, "My Last Stand", plays! If successful, (losing the fight means we get a bad secret ending), Jin wins by not killing Kazuya.

Sorry for the details, but the final fight was THE BEST thing I had played for this franchise!!! I was hyping while playing the game! It was closure for Jin, knowing that his mother is still alive, and he has people to rely on! Also, for the little ending for Kazuya as well, as he's unconscious as Jun appears meaning she may save him!

Okay, let me stop, but let's get to the other stuff. The war with the hints of Scenario Campaign was great. I liked how when it was King's turn, the allied soldiers suddenly shout King's name, thanks to his encouragement speech. I also liked the tournament part as the Tekken team finally did something right for the story: we, the players, can pick whomever we want to play to advance, except for Jin's fight with Leroy.

We noticed other development from Xiaoyu as she protected Jin from the Jack-8s. And looks like she and Jin may become a future couple.

I mentioned Reina's inclusion and goal at the end so there's no need for me to go further. It is obvious she may be the next antagonist for 9, if the team play their cards right.

As stated before, the story has flaws. For Nina, it was a waste to have her side with Kazuya (AGAIN, see the non-canon Street Fighter X Tekken). She figured out who Reina was immediately and then dropped out to have a vacation. Marshall Law was very stupid, picking a fight with Paul during the war because he failed to make the promise about the money when the tournament was halted. What a dumbass! I don't know why the team just continue to make Paul and Law stupid once more. Poor Asuka didn't have a good role here. I stated before that she doesn't even know about her family as her father was a part of a side branch, thus she really doesn't know about Jun and Jin. It was weird that she was suddenly became a bit of a buddy-buddy for Jin. However, Azucena's reason of joining G Corporation was just for the laughs. It was also kind of strange that Bryan wasn't included in the war so he and Yoshimitsu, who also didn't appear, can duke it out.

Now for Azazel's return as a boss fight, I stated before that I was surprised to see him back as many people didn't like him in 6, as opposed to Ogre, Jinpachi and even Devil. However, his inclusion gave a better storyline for the Devil gene, though copied from King of Fighters. The Tekken team now considered Azazel a bit like Orochi. From the info on 8 revealed that Azazel, who is now the official true origin of the Devil Gene, had worshippers centuries ago and those include the Hachijo clan whom he provided his powers to. So, remember Kazumi's predictions about the Mishima Clan in 7? Yeah, she was trying to prevent them so Azazel can return and rule the world. But it's not happened because Azazel is gone now. Although, I wished that book about the Mishima clan was somewhat canon too because that had much more sense than 7's.

Best of all, we were finally shown what had happened to Jun before Tekken 3 happened, in a side story: she beaten Ogre, but barely! However, in the Kazama temple where she won the fight, she heard the lullaby that she had sung to Jin when he was little, which made her fell in a comatose sleep for several years.

Whew, long post.

Rob

The Dragon Shrine Maiden
Premium Donor
tldr here's T8 story

Jin and Kazuya edged each other and came super hard into a big gooner explosion and Reina is heihachis daughter who has the devil gene

roll credits

Oh and Jun is alive so next game maybe Jin will finally be able to fuck his mother. Only way this Oedipus complex makes any sense lmao

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
My opinions on the summary of the story

I think the story had a good structure, it was like a movie almost. Jin fighting Kazuya and them having alot of back and forth in the intro was solid, when Jin lost the fight and basically had to regain his devil sense back, that was very much like the animes where the protagonist loses something and he regains it later, I liked Alisa and Lars being supportive of him and even Lee stepping up and offering assistance, it made the group feel unified.

Reina in the story I liked, her dual nature as energetic and lively but being really sinister and self serving evil was cool, but idk how I feel about her reckless actions like trying to take on Devil Kazuya when he had taken Azazels power and when she basically walked into his laser beam that wiped put that whole lot of soldiers. I did like her involvement tho.

The preliminary fights for the fighters fighting to represent their regions was cool, I was so excited to see that Lili won against the one NPC to represent Europe and it was cool seeing the lead ups and how Hwoarang made it. The Coliseum fights were also really good too and I liked how we could choose who would win each fight(Although it was pointless tho since the tournament didn't exactly lead to anything. Asuka, Lili, and Jin talking tho in the stands like peers was cool to see tho, especially with Hwoarang in it as well, it's like they(besides Lili and Asuka and Hwoarang and Jin) all knew each other prior and was sort of like a reunion.

I know they ultimately survived, but I felt Zafina being like the damsel and being unconscious afterwards when Kazuya took Azazel from her body was a waste of such a good character design, she could have did so much more but it was like she was a walking oracle of death that served nothing more than as a walking home for Azazel. Claudio sacrificing himself to try to stop Kazuya was also a major waste too, he survived but the fact that the ultimate seal that could have ended Kazuya only grazed him and redirected at himself was just so bad.

I liked how Lili offered to fly Jin and Xiaoyu to Yakushima to see the place where his mother resided, that was a good part she did since she seemed to have some empathy for him, and I liked how she kinda informed Asuka on the Mishima and Kazama origins, although it was sad Asuka didn't get much more real relevance besides helping Lili and the others on the battlefield.

Jin and Xiaoyu going to Yaku was kinda sad since I was hoping Jun could physically offer aid and reunite with her son, but it was nice seeing Jin remember the flood of memories from his childhood with his mother, and the setting as well as the song that was sung warning about the ogre was very chilling yet nostalgic, especially after Xiaoyu and Jin engaged in that spar and Jin went unconscious. I got chills when Xiaoyu vowed to defend Jin and she held her own against the countless Jack's.

The battlefield scenario was cool, I feel that was a major yet long winded highlight since alot of the fighters that normally wouldn't have gotten mainstream focus got a chance to be great. Alisa held her own, and I loved the Musou/Dynasty/Samurai warriors influence the beat em up scenario campaign mode parts had with the soldiers getting enthusiam and courage from King fighting with them and the dialogue during the enemy suppression, Tekken could definitely benefit from a similar standalone game with KT with a similar Warriors premise.

Paul and Law fighting was funny but amusing, Azucena and Leo fighting was kinda shocking since I didn't expect her to be that self serving to her own coffee business but she seems like she'll do whatever to make sure her family coffee business is represented which I can respect. Steve was cool and Nina was just Nina, she's just a contract assassin at this point so I didn't expect much. Reina trying to join forces with her was random but makes sense since Nina seems to know of her(Likely from Heihachi) and she's pretty much just a contract villain at this point.

I liked the final parts where Lars came to assist Xiaoyu when Kazuya came over to fight Jin and Kazuya could see a bit of Heihachi in Lars, I'm guessing since Lars has his resolve. Jin finally fighting the Devil Jin in his consciousness and overcoming it was chilling, I loved the emergence of an Angel Jin and how their fight went up to space.... I didn't think Tekken 8 could ever get darker or even more epic than Tekken 4 or Tekken 7 with the volcano final battle but they definitely eclipsed that...

The fight in space was long, but it was a good length and I think the part that really was epic was when Angel Jin finally finished it and removed both him and Kazuya's Devil gene and supernatural powers from them both.... the fact their battle took place in that rocky ravine area with heavy wind and rain was just so epic since they both were fighting with just their martial arts skills and nothing more, I liked how Jin even used his mother's style. The fight was long winded but I didn't expect any less since both Kazuya and Jin are tenacious, but I didn't realize that there were two endings. Naturally I didn't want to have to do the fight over, so I went with Jin and from what I can see, the good ending results in Kazuya being defeated anf the devil gene is officially gone from them both, and Jin reunites with Xiaoyu and it seems like the world is going back to normal. Kazuya seems like he's fallen from grace but he at least seems like he's set to be reunited with Jun in the flesh.

The despair ending I watched but didn't really care for since basically Jin dies, but Kazuya continues his world domination without his powers. But the main static thing in both endings is that Reina is definitely a Mishima and has the devil gene so if the next game or story part drops, it's not gonna be easy to take her down since Kazuya and Jin are now both normals now. Only Jun I can see would be able to help stop her since she seems to be able to purify, and maybe her being with Kazuya at the end means she can make him an anti hero rather than a villain, I'm hoping for maybe a story expansion later on but it'll probably be a thing they cover in Tekken 9, or hopefully a Tekken 8 : Enlightened Resolution.

The character endings I liked alot more than T7 since they seemed more realistic and less like removed cutscenes from the main story and more like what ifs that could happen if someone won. I like for Zafina and Claudio and more central characters, it's more in line with what could have occurred if things went their way in the base story.

I hope during the season 1 pass tho through updates, they'll add more items and clothes for the customization mode since I like the options so far, but they're still rather limited.

The 4th phase

Standard Donor
i tried to make 2b lol with nina
IMG_8850.jpeg

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD