The Art Style and Graphics Discussion

Jadeinchains

Oh wow.. I don't think I've ever seen a quintuplet post before. :x Cool images but you should try not to double post ( or 3,4,5 etc post )
And cool collage @Tyaren and yeah the new MvC game... not sure what happened with that games graphics..

Chapstick

Oh wow.. I don't think I've ever seen a quintuplet post before. :x Cool images but you should try not to double post ( or 3,4,5 etc post )
And cool collage @Tyaren and yeah the new MvC game... not sure what happened with that games graphics..
They’re each filled with a bunch of 4k screenshots, it’s better for the page if he splits that into 5 posts instead of 1 tbh. The first time I loaded this page it was seriously struggling already 6 posts in

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Was Fumito Ueda's (Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian) next game project just teased on the developer's website? O:

HappyNewYear2018_bottom.png

Looks so Fumito Ueda. Whatever this is, I am in!

UpSideDownGRUNT

The girl looks like Yorda from ICO, but is on a slab like the girl from SotC... So this either hinting an ICO remake or is just really obscure SotC remake art.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
The girl looks like Yorda from ICO, but is on a slab like the girl from SotC... So this either hinting an ICO remake or is just really obscure SotC remake art.

All Fumito Ueda games have strong similarities, but also differences to make each of them unique. I don't think this is Yorda or Mono but a different girl. The giant creature to the right is something entirely new as well. It's definitely neither a colossus nor Trico. I think this could be the teaser of a new, fourth game. :)

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Have we ever talked about this very strange but technically and artistically impressive trailer?

Horizon Zero Dawn's own Decima Engine put to great use here. Amazing detail and polish. I'd honestly believe you if you told me this was a PS5 game's visuals.
It probably is, lol. I don't think this game will make it in the next 2 years.

UpSideDownGRUNT

It will be, Kojima is aiming for it to be out before AKIRA takes place so late 2018-early 2019 at the latest. Also, the game is being made way quicker than you think. Mark Cerny has said it's the fastest he's ever seen a game being developed.

It just feels like vapourware because Kojima just REALLY likes elaborate trailers that don't really tell you anything.

Jadeinchains

Was Fumito Ueda's (Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian) next game project just teased on the developer's website? O:

HappyNewYear2018_bottom.png

Looks so Fumito Ueda. Whatever this is, I am in!

Cool, Shadow of the colossus is awesome and I really enjoyed The last guardian so it will be interesting to see what they bring out next. Next to no clue what it could be about though.

Have we ever talked about this very strange but technically and artistically impressive trailer?

Horizon Zero Dawn's own Decima Engine put to great use here. Amazing detail and polish. I'd honestly believe you if you told me this was a PS5 game's visuals.
It probably is, lol. I don't think this game will make it in the next 2 years.

I'm wondering what type of game it will be in general, From what I've seen so far it looks really cool and I'm interested. I'm curious though like will it be first person? Will they be trying to recreate the sort of feel PT had at all? With psychological horror aspects at all?

Jadeinchains

Continuing on from earlier look at this! -
This would have been an amazing horror game...and now we'll never get it, Horror is my favorite genre and now we've lost what could have been something great. R.I.P Not to mention It being cancelled pretty much took down the dick lick springs Silent hill series with it. :(

So I really hope that they manage to fit some of that horrific kind of psychological horror and just crazy scary weird things that would have been in PT/Silent Hills and put it in this new game they're making. I mean we have seen already pretty horror type stuff in the game. You known people getting killed by something, The baby in the throat thing and whatever that strange monster was in the sky. So there's already horror type things in the game it seems.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I recently started playing the Skyrim Special Edition on PS4 Pro in gorgeous native 4K. (Fun fact: The more powerful Xbox One X runs the game in dynamic 4K, dropping down to lower resolutions in stress situations.) Playing the game made me realize again just how beautiful the game still is, even after all those years and after playing many much more graphically advanced games like The Witcher 3 or Horizon Zero Dawn.

27776379179_fed84c6d2e_o.png

25682252748_1bb4e3a8a3_o.png

27786334479_5412043823_o.png

24695085857_b06dd8349f_o.png

24685165547_c37d59611a_o.png

24695738507_0e7466d1f9_o.png

39563240521_dea365301d_o.png

Last edited by a moderator:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I recently started playing the Skyrim Special Edition on PS4 Pro in gorgeous native 4K. (Fun fact: The more powerful Xbox One X runs the game in dynamic 4K, dropping down to lower resolutions in stress situations.) Playing the game made me realize again just how beautiful the game still is, even after all those years and after playing many much more graphically advanced games like The Witcher 3 or Horizon Zero Dawn.

27776379179_fed84c6d2e_o.png

25682252748_1bb4e3a8a3_o.png

27786334479_5412043823_o.png

24695085857_b06dd8349f_o.png

24685165547_c37d59611a_o.png

24695738507_0e7466d1f9_o.png

39563240521_dea365301d_o.png

I recently got the PC version of the Special Edition. The mods make the game a huge lot more fun too. It's a massive game that I probably will take awhile to finish since I haven't been gaming as much, but the mods definitely make it even better.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
More Skyrim goodness! :D

25709988618_68f63027a8_o.png

24712656477_8abe2b3694_o.png

25736511608_af9b648656_o.png

(Yep, I butchered the other tree for this one to bloom. Gotta boost that property price! XD)

25736507258_b0e9a4f8e8_o.png

39579922921_d3c5eb2a01_o.png

39607303231_6b8e63fa11_o.png

I think after 7 years it is time for a new Elder Scrolls game, what do you guys think? I can only image how beautiful it would look this console gen. I'm for going to the warm, lush and green Summerset Isles, home to the Altmer/High Elves this time. :)

Jadeinchains

Great pics, Skyrim still looks great even now. After how icy and snowy Skyrim's environment was It would be cool to have something a lot different from that In the next game so something grassy or desert like would be very cool. There's a lot of provinces they could chose though.

Elsweyr and Hammerfell fit the bill in terms of lush forests with deserts but lots of other places could also fit in terms of just more greenery in general.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Masters of the Remaster:

I always forget that Bluepoint Games is a comparatively small team dishing out these AAA remasters/remakes.
I'm super excited for Shadow of the Colossus in just 3 more weeks. :D

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Are you using mods @Tyaren for Skyrim?

There are some really crazy mods that enhance the game quite a bit. There's a retexture environment mod I saw the other day that was pretty popular on the mods list inside the game setting when you go to Betheseda servers. There is a weather mod with new sound effects without ruining the immersion of the game that does make you feel like your character is really out there. Kid you not, after downloading some of them they blow the default stuff from Skyrim. (Course the default build from Skyrim is still pretty good).

Though for me, after I complete the game one of these days I'm going to add the silly fun mods for the lolz. I already added the mods like replacing the dragons with flying trains (Thomas the tank engine) and added silly awesome followers such as a penguin, a mini-dragon that you can name (going to name it Steve), Dora the Skyrim Explorer, and Jawa the Wookie from Star Wars. Haven't enabled the mods yet but I will be tempted eventually. Would love to do stuff like this:

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Are you using mods @Tyaren for Skyrim?

There are some really crazy mods that enhance the game quite a bit. There's a retexture environment mod I saw the other day that was pretty popular on the mods list inside the game setting when you go to Betheseda servers. There is a weather mod with new sound effects without ruining the immersion of the game that does make you feel like your character is really out there. Kid you not, after downloading some of them they blow the default stuff from Skyrim. (Course the default build from Skyrim is still pretty good).

Yeah, using mods in this game is a godsend! I'm using a couple of mods that improve the gameplay, because Skyrim is still very buggy and it has some very annoying and frustrating gameplay mechanics, that I am grateful I can adjust or completely change now. No constant vampire attacks on towns for me, or no followers or important NPCs dying anymore. Considerably increasing the weight I can carry is another thing. Nothing that completely breaks or alters the game though.

I'm by the way using hardly any mods that visually "enhance" the game. I think most of those mods are actually not doing the game any favors visually, because they stray too far from the game's originally intended look or seem incohesive and nonsensical.
There are for example several weather mods that make Skyrim very colorful, clear and bright. That's just not fitting to Skyrim's cold, nordic setting at all.
There are other mods that place literally a forest of trees inside towns or parts of the map. It makes absolutely no sense to place trees inside White Run or around it. This is a tundra: cold climate, short growing seasons, strong winds, barren soil. Forests don't easily grow in a biome like this.
The town of White Run is also built mostly from wood. That means all trees that were growing there before, would've been already used as building material long ago. Normally towns in that day and age stood in a vast area completely cleared of any trees and forests. Only in the 19th century, when the pollution was at its very height and broad, leafy boulevards came into fashion, there was an effort made to plant trees or entire parks in towns and cities.
Since I see games as gesamtkunstwerke (a synthesis of the arts) it does irk me when modders slap all sorts of stuff on a game to make it look better. It imo mostly doesn't. The original desigers and artists knew what they were doing already. Especially if we are talking about multi million AAA games, where the best of best of the industry are empoyed.

Some of that stuff in the video above, just for the sake of having a good laugh, is cool though. Hilarious actually. XD

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD