The Art Style and Graphics Discussion

Jadeinchains

We talked at the beginning of this thread about it @Argentus and I just found a screen of the very first view, the player has of the world of Oblivion, when coming out of the sewers:

oblivion-first-view1.jpg

Wow, this looks so bad today. XD And once it was an absolutely breathtaking sight... Now, as a comparison, Ethan Carter pics, which Argentus thought, looked graphically the same:

20108803150_f4f97585ed_o.jpg

19674196194_69b3756e55_o.jpg

20302806111_30c2a900aa_o.jpg
I remember when I first got Oblivion I thought it was one of the most beautiful games or at least pretty and now it looks so bland and thats kinda sad.

Juihau

Real quick, I wanna talk about monsters. I don't mean, like, Godzilla-esque things or that sort, I mean the really freaky/cool stuff. Like this.
e8a5d79c44.png

This sort of monster has been something I've been fond of since I was, like, 10 or so. I believe it started with an MMO that I played for years, mabinogi. The game itself doesn't look all that great, even for the time it came out (2003, I believe), but there was one major thing that's stuck with me for a long time: the final boss of G1: Advent of the Goddess, Glas Ghaibhleann. Apart from being nearly impossible for me to pronounce, I thought that this thing was cool as hell. From its metallic-sounding screams to its decaying appearance, it was just badass. The same game then pulled another one in G9: Alchemist, with Claimh Solas, its second form in particular. Really, it doesn't come as a surprise that the same devs went on to create Vindictus, another game with fantastic monster designs, which is actually a prequel to mabinogi.

Another monster I really like is Orochi from Senran Kagura, shown in the picture above. It actually caught me rather off guard when I first saw it, but I grew to be fond of it fairly quickly. It only got better through Asuka's description of its introduction, which I'll put in the spoiler.
The mass continues to build on itself, creating a form that looks almost human.

"What... the hell...?

It's a giant, almost tall enough to touch the sky.
A head and arms, along with other appendages I couldn't name if I tried, grow out from its body.

Bits of rubble keep slinking off of it, however, almost as if its skin were rotting away bit by bit.

Its legs still haven't fully formed, but it's still trying to stand.

Then there's an uncomfortable creaking sound from one of the legs, and it breaks off. The giant is about to pitch forward.

Both of its arms also crumble, and the thing falls back into the rubble.
It lands in a sitting position with an ear-shattering crash. The tornado grows even stronger.

It starts pulling the rubble in to rebuild its body, too stubborn to let death claim it.

Roof tiles fly through the air and cover the surface of its mound-like body.
Its neck is long, like a turtle's, and inside its mouth frowns a human face, twisted in hatred.

"I-it's a monster..."
My whole body is shaking.

The tornado abruptly fades away.

A terrible voice surrounds me, freezing my blood.

It's like the first cry of a baby...born into hell.
Here's Orochi in action, btw.

Also, since I feel like somebody's gonna recommend it to me, I do have Soul Sacrifice Delta. The problem is, I haven't gotten particularly far in it because I've spent more time reading the lore than playing the actual game, because honestly, the lore is just that awesome. I do love the designs in it, though. Except the Harpy. I despise the Harpy.

Argentus

Real quick, I wanna talk about monsters. I don't mean, like, Godzilla-esque things or that sort, I mean the really freaky/cool stuff. Like this.
e8a5d79c44.png

This sort of monster has been something I've been fond of since I was, like, 10 or so. I believe it started with an MMO that I played for years, mabinogi. The game itself doesn't look all that great, even for the time it came out (2003, I believe), but there was one major thing that's stuck with me for a long time: the final boss of G1: Advent of the Goddess, Glas Ghaibhleann. Apart from being nearly impossible for me to pronounce, I thought that this thing was cool as hell. From its metallic-sounding screams to its decaying appearance, it was just badass. The same game then pulled another one in G9: Alchemist, with Claimh Solas, its second form in particular. Really, it doesn't come as a surprise that the same devs went on to create Vindictus, another game with fantastic monster designs, which is actually a prequel to mabinogi.

Another monster I really like is Orochi from Senran Kagura, shown in the picture above. It actually caught me rather off guard when I first saw it, but I grew to be fond of it fairly quickly. It only got better through Asuka's description of its introduction, which I'll put in the spoiler.
The mass continues to build on itself, creating a form that looks almost human.

"What... the hell...?

It's a giant, almost tall enough to touch the sky.
A head and arms, along with other appendages I couldn't name if I tried, grow out from its body.

Bits of rubble keep slinking off of it, however, almost as if its skin were rotting away bit by bit.

Its legs still haven't fully formed, but it's still trying to stand.

Then there's an uncomfortable creaking sound from one of the legs, and it breaks off. The giant is about to pitch forward.

Both of its arms also crumble, and the thing falls back into the rubble.
It lands in a sitting position with an ear-shattering crash. The tornado grows even stronger.

It starts pulling the rubble in to rebuild its body, too stubborn to let death claim it.

Roof tiles fly through the air and cover the surface of its mound-like body.
Its neck is long, like a turtle's, and inside its mouth frowns a human face, twisted in hatred.

"I-it's a monster..."
My whole body is shaking.

The tornado abruptly fades away.

A terrible voice surrounds me, freezing my blood.

It's like the first cry of a baby...born into hell.
Here's Orochi in action, btw.

Also, since I feel like somebody's gonna recommend it to me, I do have Soul Sacrifice Delta. The problem is, I haven't gotten particularly far in it because I've spent more time reading the lore than playing the actual game, because honestly, the lore is just that awesome. I do love the designs in it, though. Except the Harpy. I despise the Harpy.
Why do you think I'm still into digimon? Most of the creature designs are awesome. Only a few are grotesque like you're talking about, though.

Juihau

Hm... I don't really think of it as grotesque, I guess. When I think grotesque, I think of things like the harpy in Soul Sacrifice, which I mentioned I despise. If you wanna see what I'm talking about, look it up. I refuse to link it here, though; that thing makes me feel sick just looking at it.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
If you wanna see what I'm talking about, look it up. I refuse to link it here, though; that thing makes me feel sick just looking at it.

OMFG, what did I just google...?! x__X' It's indeed very grotesque and extremely nasty...to a point, that I'm actually amazed and in awe by the creativity of the artists. I also love the stage on which you are fighting that...thing. In contrast so serene and angelic with all the wings, feathers and windmills...

For everyone but Juihau:
latest

soulsacrifice_screens_bosses_harpy.jpg

My favourite artistic looking game is Mirrors Edge. Every time I play it I feel like im dreaming, its hard to describe the feeling.
PjKZCAy.jpg

Are those bull shots or actual in-game shots? That game looks insanely good from a stylistic but also image quality point of view.

Last edited:

Chapstick

Are those bull shots or actual in-game shots? That game looks insanely good from a stylistic but also image quality point of view.
It's been a long while since I played it but that's how good I remember it looking. The colors in the game were amazing, there was a yellow room I distinctly remember that made me dye my hair that color-

10:20

Argentus

OMFG, what did I just google...?! x__X' It's indeed very grotesque and extremely nasty...to a point, that I'm actually amazed and in awe by the creativity of the artists. I also love the stage on which you are fighting that...thing. In contrast so serene and angelic with all the wings, feathers and windmills...

For everyone but Juihau:
latest

That's what mirrors edge looks like in game. Its very....creamy.

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor

For everyone but Juihau:
latest

Yea, first one I took at 1080p max settings. (If you look closely in the middle you can see the crosshair :p)

The other ones I found on the internet, it says they were taken in 4k resolution. So probably that's why hahah

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Yea, first one I took at 1080p max settings. (If you look closely in the middle you can see the crosshair :p)

The other ones I found on the internet, it says they were taken in 4k resolution. So probably that's why hahah

Oh, I see, it's the PC version... So it doesn't nearly look that good on consoles? :( As an exclusive console gamer I often forget or simply don't know, that certain games are also on PC and so I was amazed of the last generation console graphical splendor for a sec. XD

Is there already footage out for Mirror's Edge Catalyst?

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
Oh, I see, it's the PC version... So it doesn't nearly look that good on consoles? :( As an exclusive console gamer I often forget or simply don't know, that certain games are also on PC and so I was amazed of the last generation console graphical splendor for a sec. XD

glorious_pc_gaming_master_race_by_sasukekun17-d7mdjvo.jpg

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
Hey, I never played that game so hahah xD

I hope you peasants are enjoying your well spent $400 on last gen remasters

Just kidding :)

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
Good job, I was sipping hot milking scroll down to view your quote. Saw that gif burnt my mouth. Hope you feel good about what you have just done.

Haha no really I did burn my mouth, that gif was funny as fuck LOL.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD