The DOA Festival Experience

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
2 words, Kwiggs... Virtua Fighter

True, a lot of Japanese DOA players have a VF background due to how popular that series is in Japan. So these players would already have a fairly strong fundamental 3D fighter foundation in place. This is also why I recommend DOA players to try out VF because of how it emphasizes fundamental play more over flashiness. However, I will admit that VF fundamentals won't translate 1:1 with DOA (which can lead to a big mistake that VF players make in trying to play DOA5LR exactly like VF5FS and getting frustrated) such as with the lack of semi-circulars, though learning the game will help out your own DOA play overall if you play both DOA and VF. At a minimum, it will change your perspective on how you go about learning to play a game properly and hopefully improving one's mindset.

Blackburry

Standard Donor
It's honestly because America as a whole does not get nearly as much offline practice as them aside from a couple players. This is also why @Mr.Kwiggle is so dominant. Not sure if it's the same now(Cause MKX), but since 2012 him and his brother Sonic Fox have grinded this game out for hours on end OFFLINE. Most of our top players, high level players, and average players get the most of their offline practice from MAJORS which are few and far in between.

All bias aside I still think we are better were it counts(though they are better in certain aspects). Top/High level is what brings the bread home at the end of the day, so yeah. I do wish however that our community was more like theirs, but its honestly near impossible. DOA isn't a super popular game here from a competitive stand point outside of a few areas, and from a geographical standpoint US and Japan just aren't the same. On top of that public transportation in Japan is unmatched.

It's great that Teru Rock is making it to NEC. Can't wait to play him.

Last edited:

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
All bias aside I still think we are better were it counts(though they are better in certain aspects). Top/High level is what brings the bread home at the end of the day, so yeah. I do wish however that our community was more like theirs, but its honestly near impossible. DOA isn't a super popular game here from a competitive stand point outside of a few areas, and from a geographical standpoint US and Japan just aren't the same. On top of that public transportation in Japan is unmatched.

In all honesty, considering how much the Japanese have improved in the last couple years, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they completely surpass the West by next year. I don't know how popular DOA is in Japan compared to the West either, but they make productive use of the resources they do have, as opposed to wasting energy complaining about Christie.

system11

Standard Donor
I'd settle for finding more friendly lobbies where you can just turn up and play without the egos and abuse. I just played in a lobby on tournament mode, host requested random picks. Some people wouldn't pick random, some were complaining all the time, one didn't go random, lost, then spat out some racist abuse.

Just ... sigh.

Blackburry

Standard Donor
In all honesty, considering how much the Japanese have improved in the last couple years, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they completely surpass the West by next year. I don't know how popular DOA is in Japan compared to the West either, but they make productive use of the resources they do have, as opposed to wasting energy complaining about Christie.

We'll see

lotr9690

Yes, we rock. Go Japan! haha ;)
I think the difference is because we have so many arcades to hang out and swap/learn new strategies. If the US had more arcades etc. for gamers to meet and hang out together on a regular basis then maybe they would have a more nuanced tournament performance - not that I feel US tournament scene is slacking. I've never been to a US tournament, mostly because it's so difficult for me to organize my life enough - it's easy in Japan. My friends and "arcade" friends usually tell me while we play a match or chat watching someone else play at center. But perhaps the US does have an arcade atmosphere; is that what a casual is? (What is a casual by the way? lol, I picture it like an informal tournament without a winner).

Last edited:

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Yes, we rock. Go Japan! haha ;)
I think the difference is because we have so many arcades to hang out and swap/learn new strategies. If the US had more arcades etc. for gamers to meet and hang out together on a regular basis then maybe they would have a more nuanced tournament performance - not that I feel US tournament scene is slacking. I've never been to a US tournament, mostly because it's so difficult for me to organize my life enough - it's easy in Japan. My friends and "arcade" friends usually tell me while we play a match or chat watching someone else play at center. But perhaps the US does have an arcade atmosphere; is that what a casual is? (What is a casual by the way? lol, I picture it like an informal tournament without a winner).

Casuals are a form of social meeting where people gather to play games such as fighting games offline.

It can lead to informal tournaments too.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
It would be quite delicious if we had the Sega RingEdge DOA5LR arcades over here in the US. Sadly, the fate of arcades is shallow and not in comparison to JPN as well as having different areas with local arcade machines with DOA.

All I know is, Japan interested me greatly since vanilla.

Haipa Sonikku

Since 2012. Took long enough for most here to finally admit and realize what I was saying back about JPN (especially them getting an Arcade version as they ain't bout Consumer that much) then as I've been doing this versus fighting for a long time. This would be called a full circle. #92er

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
I wanted to respond to this for awhile, but knowing how my opinions are treated around here (someone even said that MY OPINION was wrong), I've been relatively quiet regarding this. First off, I want to say congratulations to Kwiggle for going to Japan and winning the exhibition, showing what American DOA players can do. I also noticed that he picked up a few things when playing the Japanese players when he was using Christie, such as using the regular side step as opposed to her special side step. Solid showing from all the players overall and it was such a joy to see talented DOA players from all over partaking in such an event.

Now, here's what I feel. I have always felt that the Japanese FGC was always ahead of the American FGC for one reason: the C in FGC. The community aspect in the American FGC needs a lot of improvement and can learn a lot from the Japanese FGC. Now, a lot of it does have to do with size. Japan is a smaller country than the United States and Japan also still has an arcade scene, which has long since died down in America. But what also sets the Japanese FGC apart is the fact that they have no problem sharing tech and helping each other improve their game. With the American FGC, it seems like nobody is willing to help OR when they do help, they can come off as a know it all or just plain intimidating. Not to mention, we do not share tech and actually provide strategies on how to deal with match ups. It's no fun fighting people who clearly have no idea how to deal with a character's tools. Why not offer tips to them while playing, even if they are not asking for help.

As for the DOA community, it's a double edged sword being part of the small community. Having a smaller community is nicer, because it can be easier to insert yourself in the community and meet new players. However, there also tends to be a lot of egos that run rampant in the community. We keep talking about the problems that are plaguing the community, but nobody is offering solutions. We do not own all aspects of the game, which make it appear to other communities that we are ashamed of our game. Most importantly, we need to foster a more positive online image. So many times, people have told me that they want to come out to tournaments, but are afraid because of how members behave in the online forums or in the Facebook groups. Trust me, I've been there, but I'm glad that I came out and will continue to come out, despite the "image" the community placed on me. I still love the community because of how small and passionate it is, but there are issues that are often not addressed and swept under the rug that need to be discussed.

Overall, I'm glad that @Mr.Kwiggle had fun and got to experience a small taste of the Japanese FGC. I was happy to watch the DOA Festival and await the new costumes and further updates for Last Round as the year progresses.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
It's been that way for a while. It went worst after EVO 2015 since the US was free in Tekken.
Well to be fair, Tekken 7 didn't have arcade releases prior to Evo. The only chance people had to play were if they made it to the tournaments that it was featured at for casual play.

Blackburry

Standard Donor
It's been that way for a while. It went worst after EVO 2015 since the US was free in all Anime fighters, both Smash Games, Tekken, Marvel, and SF.

Lol chill. We JUST lost in Marvel for the 1st time this EVO. Anime yes undoubtably we suck compared to Asia. SF4 top level is on par with Asia. Tekken Korea is the best, but we can fight them well enough and American tekken is better than JP tekken at top level. And yeah We only got to play T7 at 1 other tournament other than EVO. Sooo......

And then in Smash Mango, Mewtwoking, PPMD, and Hungrybox make up more than half of the gods of Smash. Soooooooooooo

I'm late to the DOA5 series. I understand the subject matter of this thread. Regarding skill comparison. I'm going to venture off track a bit by participating with my experience regarding DOA5. *TL:Dr down at the bottom*

1st: I have to give props to this community. I noticed one thing. The community for DOA is STRONG. This game has been out for awhile and there's always matches online (at least for me) and a very mature crowd - it's like you guys as a whole keep a standard of maturity, thus, the new people, acknowledge and follow suit. (Applaud yourself because you deserve it) I've yet to notice teabagging, people talking ish on the mic. (Yes I've come across it) but no where as near as say - KI or MKX levels. Every match or should I say most matches is a guaranteed teabag session or someone talking ish/singing on their mic - "Through The Whole Fight" (no instant mute button so I gotta yell xbox mute TV)

Back to DOA5: The Devs, from what I have seen, interact with the crowd, post tournaments on their YouTube channel within nice and neat playlists.

I've been around several fighting games, from late last year to now. As I've just become seriously involved and wanting to train to enter tournaments. And so, most of my late last year to now has been (soul searching) or - looking for a fighter to call home. Which one is worthy for me to invest my time into. Which one has a supportive dev. I was looking around FGC for awhile. Playing the games, engaging in the forums - looking for a home.

I can't do like most do - play every fighter (I only have the time & mind capacity) to study one maybe two fighting games. Not to mention I love XCOM (Squad Turn Based Tactics Game) and that is a whole other game to study in itself requiring some of my mind capacity for its competitive multiplayer.

Though I love MKX, 2Dimension just sucks for me. The left & right spacing of it and jump,jump,jump - lol. I can't do it. I'm more akin to something more realisic (though all of these are fantasy) still, I need the realistic plaine of 3D. Also, 3D fighters seem to focus more on combat than jump,jump,jump + fireballs or some kind of special projectile. No disrespect to 2D fighters - just not my thing. Though I'll play from time to time for the hell of it. I love MKX.

3D Fighters: SoulCalibur was my favorite, but ProjectSoul whom are the Devs are horrible! No support, interaction, so I cut them loose. Can't see myself putting all that effort, time into a game - to then, not have the dev support in the long run. I have way too much stuff going on in my life to give a dev like this my kind of loyal support.

Tekken is ok, I guess the Devs on that one do interact. But DOA5 to me, moves way more realistically, the animations are so beautifully rendered on the screen. (I game on a 80' TV)

When I watch people like
UPDATE: How did I almost forget -- @Sly Bass and his super technical, patient Akira. This brother is a surgeon with the approach. @Timasty (I main Pai now) or @Awesmic and his Christie play. @MASTER and his Hayabusa. Jesus! When I watch these people play, It's like I am transported back to 1989 - 1995 era when KungFu flicks use to air on Fox Netwok every Sunday in NYC. This game is so beautiful to watch. And again, since I've been around trying every fighter "even Naruto" DOA5 has the most (to me) realistic movements, physics, pacing. Anyways I can go on & on. Bottom line - I found home. And I get to bring it with me on my PS Vita and practice while on the road. This game is a win/win for me all around.

TL:Dr: Though you guys may not have the level of your Eastern counterparts. I easily see you guys becoming that level due to how you carry yourselves as a whole. I don't mean how you share information (all FGC communities do that) I mean the way you guys "the community" move as a unit, alongside the dev continuing support. Keep up this tradition of maturity, technicality in your approach to the game - and yea, I can see you going through that metamorphis of what the OP is describing in this thread.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD