The International Interviews: #3 CLking

ikodomo

CLKING!!
2ibkqj9.jpg

Next up is CLKing! Another player who’s not only in the Korean DOA scene, but the Korean FGC as a whole.​

What is your name and gaming alias?

My name is Dongmin PARK. Nickname is CLking

How did you come up with the name CLking?

I used this name from the fighting game ‘Meltyblood’.

My main character’s name is ‘Ciel’. I wanted to communicate (with) many foreign players so I wanted to make my nickname simple. So I choose a similar pronunciation. Ciel=CL

Who are your main characters in DOA5LR?

Rig and Jann Lee

How long have you been playing DOA casually and competitively?

Since DOA5.

How do you prepare for an upcoming tournament?

I practiced many times with TESTTEAM. He is (the) greatest gaming partner

If you were to describe your play style in 3 words, what would they be?

Fast

Korean-step (reason :
)

Traveler

What are the tournaments you have attended and what accomplishments have you had in DOA?

DOA5 Japanese Tournament Korea - qualified (for) 5th (place)

TGN first Tournament Tag match - WINNER

Ruliweb Korean First Online Tournament - WINNER

Ruliweb Korean First Offline Tournament - WINNER

Which version of DOA do you enjoy and hate the most? Why?

DOA5 for PS VITA is good. Good for practice everywhere.

I am sad they (Team Ninja) did (not) release DOA for VITA. I want new version for vita.

I hate DOA5LR. Because I don’t have PS4 XD. That’s (the) only (reason). I want to play PS4 Lol

Is there anything you would like to see changed, added, or deleted in DOA5LR such as character balance, more characters, or stages for example?

I think that DOA5LR has good balance now. Players can win to effort.

Any players you enjoy watching or would like to play against?

I like to play against Tony-robo & Testteam. They are good players in Korea.

Do you watch any of the North American DOA tournaments? What do you think of the players? Play style?

I like TFC & FinalRound. I have regretted of not going there. If I have a chance I must go there.

I like Hajin shinobi’s play. Hajin Shinobi’s (style) of never stopping to attack is exciting.

Which country has the best overall players in your opinion?

I don’t play with North American players. So I (can only) talk about my experience. I think KatsuNinken. I heard that recently he did not play DOA. Please comeback (to the) DOA Scene

*Katsuninken is regarded as one of the strongest DOA players in Japan.

Do you have a personal tier list on DOA5LR? What would it be?

S: Gen fu, Kasumi

A: Mila, Rig, Christie, Leon, Akira, Jann lee, Helena, Leifang, Hayate, Ayane, Marie rose, Hayabusa, Zack, Kokoro, Zacky

B: Momiji, Lisa, Brad wong, Hitomi, Sarah, Bayman, Rachel, Tina, Phase 4, Eliot, Pai

C: Bass, Nyotengu, Ein, Honoka, Raidou, Alpha-152

Ever since I arrived in South Korea, I have met and played plenty of Rig players way more than I did in the US. Does Korea play him since he uses TaeKwonDo (태권도), or is it because he is a strong character? What do you think about his strengths and weaknesses?

Rig is fast and technical character. Very strong. Good frame balance (10, 12 frame attack) Easy tracking(6kk), flamingo throw is powerful and good plus frame. He has (a) low damage throw, but he is strike character. XD

What's the best significant memory you had with DOA?

Practiced with TESTTEAM. I did my best playing DOA with TESTTEAM in 2012 and 2013. He was (already) a name on (the) DOA5 Scene already. So he taught me many techniques. And when I don’t have any money, he bought dinner for me. I appreciated him.

What do you think about the DOA community in South Korea? Is it healthy? Is it dead?

Not dead yet. Many players on steam and PS4. And sometimes we meet at CONG Tuh (at the) offline gaming place. And now (that we have) many good players, I believe (we) will have a good DOA scene in KOREA.

*Cong tuh is an underground gaming hang-out located in the basement of a local business building. It gives off a really homely vibe to it seeing the line of couches bordering the walls of tables supplied with xbox 360s, ps3s, and ps4 consoles.

The owner, Bc McWild (who is also a DOA Tina player), only charges 1000 won (which is currently equivalent to around 84 cents in USD) to players every hour. They even have their own stage for showing high profile matches in tournaments. You’re allowed to bring food and drinks, and they have plenty of board games to play from if you so desire. Every time I step foot in this facility, I always see them play obscure and funny games having a blast. They also stream their own tournaments on twitch. Link: http://www.twitch.tv/cong_stream/c/2431793

Who are the players people need to know about in South Korea?

They need to know about TESTTEAM and TonyRobo.

Who do you think will be the next character that’s going to be released next year and why?

I want to release 3DS versions characters. Hayate’s father??... I can’t remember his name ☹

*Shiden - Thanks Matt Ponton!

If you were given the ability to create 1 new DOA character; What kind of character would you make? Martial Arts? Gender? Default Costume?

I want them to create to another korean martial arts ‘Taekyun’. This martial arts is origin of Tae kwon do.

Taekyun needs kicking and Throw techniques.

You can understand when you see this movie.

Do you play any other games?

I played Meltyblood many years ago. Now I operate (a) DarkStalkers offline party at CONG Tuh. I also enjoy USF4, GGxrd, Undernight, dengeki bunko etc. I love a lot of fighting games. Recently I can’t enjoy Fighting games. But I’ll come back DOA scene ☺ I like playing mobile games and Starcraft 2.

Do you have a Twitter, Facebook or Youtube channel people can follow you on?

Twitter : https://twitter.com/CLking_FG

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/gamsclub

Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/user/CLmovie

Now I do commentator on Mobile TCG ‘MABINOGI DUEL’.

Wait. You work as a commentator, REALLY?! That's Awesome!!! I'm so jealous… >< Do you enjoy it?

Yes, I was a commentator for 2013 WCG SSF4AE, Double Elimination Tournament GGxrd Game caster and DOA5LR's Commentator. Now I do Mobile TCG 'mabinogi duel' commentator. I love it and I decided it [was going to be] my job.

Are there any videos you can show us of you being a commentator? I'm quite fascinated now! ^_^

I'm very happy to introduce myself! :D

please wait!....

WCG 2013 Korea qualifier SF4AE 2012 -

Double Elimination GGxrd 2015 -

Mabinogi Duel Official Tournament Qualifier - https://www.https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=154&v=K4kXTImoAL4

Kokama Cup P4U2 Grand Final -

Zone IST KOF13 single Grand Final - https://youtu.be/IKXjj4hB8Mo

That's so sick! I wish I had your job! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to interview you and giving me some of your precious time. Now it's down to the last question. Any messages or shout outs you want to tell anyone?

Now (that) I took a rest from doa for a long time, I'll come back soon. Although I don't have ps4, I'll practice many characters.

Nice to meet you and have me as your guest. I did FSD long time since DOA5.

I hope to (get the) chance to play with North America players. I want to show you our good Korean DOA scene.

Please don’t forget Korean Players! Thanks Airgear and everyone.

And I love you Matt(Real BASS)!!!!

Tournament Footage of CLking in action at Cong tuh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPJHFoumR_E

P.S Thanks to Catzdalegit for being an awesome and patient editor! ^^

Last edited:

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Who do you think will be the next character that’s going to be released next year and why?

I want to release 3DS versions characters. Hayate’s father??... I can’t remember his name ☹

Shiden. The answer is Shiden.

Grimace

Great to learn more about the non american players!

GL and hoping to see some great showings from CLKing :D

WAZAAAAA

Every time you use Photobucket to upload a file, an unicorn dies. Please stop the slaughter now.
I have watched that "DOA5 Korean Step! Rig's skill!!" video in the past, pretty amusing lol.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Every time you use Photobucket to upload a file, an unicorn dies. Please stop the slaughter now.
I have watched that "DOA5 Korean Step! Rig's skill!!" video in the past, pretty amusing lol.

Even funnier when you notice Shimbori (DOA Director) was in the lobby.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD