The Last Round Photography Thread

Tyaren

Standard Donor
How about we change the rules in this thread a little? Only three images per post (no more images in thumbnails or spoilers), but double posting is allowed (maybe even triple posting). We will get faster to a new page with less images.

DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round_20151001034349.png

DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round_20151001031826.png

The colors come out so nicely in uncompressed PNGs. *__*

Tyaren

Standard Donor
To be honest, I hardly ever click on the thumbnails. I think, if the poster chooses to put images in thumbnails, they are probably not as interesting as the full sized images anyway. Also, clicking on the thumbnails is accompanied with loading time. Softcabbage's Mila pics on the previous took 13 seconds to load. Sometimes even 5 seconds is too long for me, when surfing the web.
2d4.png

The Enforcer

Can't help ya there, but the point of the thumbnails is to alleviate the page loading for those that have slower devices. Having 1 large & 50 thumbnails is going to be more favorable than 3 large images, page load-wise.

Even at 3 large images per post is still up to (10 to 20 posts per page) * (3 images per post) and can still take the whole page of posts a while to load.

Chapstick

I don't see the advantage of having another page number, thumbnails at least prevent the overall page load problem.
You can't put pictures as thumbnails when you link them though. You have to upload them to FSD to do it and I remember Mr Wah having to go through uploaded files and delete some a few months ago after that site crash because too much was getting uploaded (I don't think that's why FSD crashed or w/e it did but it was an issue). So I upload them through imgur and then use those links here.

The Enforcer

You can't put pictures as thumbnails when you link them though. You have to upload them to FSD to do it and I remember Mr Wah having to go through uploaded files and delete some a few months ago after that site crash because too much was getting uploaded (I don't think that's why FSD crashed or w/e it did but it was an issue). So I upload them through imgur and then use those links here.

That's a separate issue though isn't it? Hot linking a lot of images will still cause page load problems if there are a lot won't it? True, that will save on FSD file storage space, but can still slow down the page.

Chapstick

That's a separate issue though isn't it? Hot linking a lot of images will still cause page load problems if there are a lot won't it? True, that will save on FSD file storage space, but can still slow down the page.
You said to use thumbnails and I explained why I can't with the method I use. Especially with the new png's if I want to put just 10 pictures in a post it'll be on average 25mb per post added to FSD's file storage.

Also thumbnails don't load 25% of the time when I click them even with my laptop. There are pictures in this thread I've never actually seen full size because even after 20 seconds they didn't load.

What I'll likely end up doing if I ever post pictures here again is downsize them to 1280x720 which will reduce the aliasing a bit on top of the file size.

The Enforcer

^ I was talking about thumbnails to prevent initial page load. If they don't load when clicked, I have no idea as to what the technical issue is. I was trying to address the complaint that the page loading slow. Don't want thumbnails then post full images, don't want slow page then don't post full images.

Can't have both...

Juihau

Would it be possible to thumbnail linked images if you did something like this?
Code:
[url={image url}][img=100x56]{image url again}[/img][/url]
I tried it myself, but I can't tell if I'm missing something or if it just doesn't work.

Code:
I tried it myself, but I can't tell if I'm missing something or if it just doesn't work.

Yeah it doesn't seem to work on this site for some reason. I understand what you're going for though, posting a smaller thumbnail and when it's clicked it goes to the full size in a new tab/window.

Imgur gives you the urls for various thumbnail versions of your picture, so you can just insert that as the second url in your code. You need an account on Imgur to allow the option for png uploads to stay as png format, however the upload will still be converted to jpg if the file size is way too high.

I'll use an example from one of my previous posts:

[URL='http://i.imgur.com/0LarwWu.png?1'][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/0LarwWul.png?1[/IMG][/URL]

The second url has the letter "l" added to the end of the name right before the dot png. This is how Imgur names the large sized thumbnails for their images. The letter "s" will link to the small thumbnail, and "m" will lead to the medium thumbnail.

Last edited:

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor

look banner ready....

To be honest, I hardly ever click on the thumbnails. I think, if the poster chooses to put images in thumbnails, they are probably not as interesting as the full sized images anyway. Also, clicking on the thumbnails is accompanied with loading time. Softcabbage's Mila pics on the previous took 13 seconds to load. Sometimes even 5 seconds is too long for me, when surfing the web.
2d4.png

5 to 180 seconds to load all images on the page? or 5 to 15 seconds to load up the viewer and slide show the images. either way you have to wait to see them, but by usIng thumbnails you are being considerate to viewers who don't care to, have bandwidth, or have resources to see them. Nothing I hate more than being directed to the first unread post and then being pushed down as each of the 30 images load.

Code:

While I appreciate the idea, it wouldn't solve the issue. You would be telling the browser to load up a 1080p image, then resize to the smaller resolution while not changing the data itself. So you'd be loading the image as if it weren't resized.

Now, if you have a separate link to the image saved as the smaller resolution you could do the following:

Code:
[url='www.location.com/of/photo.png']
[img]www.location.com/of/thumbnail.jpg[/img]
[/url]

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
@Mr. Wah, loading the viewer sometimes takes 10-30 secs. Depending on how many thumbnails were uploaded, I guess. And if there are several posts with thumbnails, then I'm quickly annoyed. So I hardly ever open thumbnails. Loading a page with many images is/feels much faster and more comfortable.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
@Mr. Wah, loading the viewer sometimes takes 10-30 secs. Depending on how many thumbnails were uploaded, I guess. And if there are several posts with thumbnails, then I'm quickly annoyed. So I hardly ever open thumbnails. Loading a page with many images is/feels much faster and more comfortable.
the thumbnail viewer loads all of the images on the page, not just that post.

Chapstick

the thumbnail viewer loads all of the images on the page, not just that post.
It's weird for me because when I click a specific thumbnail that one won't load but a majority of the rest will. So I can look through almost an entire set but the first one I clicked on just stays permanently blank so I have to try to get the link of the picture and open that link in a second tab.

The page jumping thing is extremely annoying I agree. Doesn't happen on my laptop but on my phone it hops all over the place as I try to scroll and then it keeps jumping to the message that the notification was for repeatedly. So I just sit there like

tumblr_n11wsrgwvm1qg5o2oo4_250.gif

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
It's weird for me because when I click a specific thumbnail that one won't load but a majority of the rest will. So I can look through almost an entire set but the first one I clicked on just stays permanently blank so I have to try to get the link of the picture and open that link in a second tab.

The page jumping thing is extremely annoying I agree. Doesn't happen on my laptop but on my phone it hops all over the place as I try to scroll and then it keeps jumping to the message that the notification was for repeatedly. So I just sit there like

tumblr_n11wsrgwvm1qg5o2oo4_250.gif
Hmm, I saw a report similar to this on the software message boards. I'm going to make a change to just show the single posts' images. Let me know if that fixes your issue where it doesn't show the first image.

Edit, was able to reproduce it, and the reason it happens is because of the amount of images to load. It loads the selected image last and pre-loads all of the other images. So it should show that image when it's done loading all of the images. Let me know if it's not the case by just creating a thread about it in the Site Issues board.

Last edited:

SoftCabbage

2d4.png

I thought I'm the only one who have problem with long thumbnail loading...

I would put it on full, but since I was on tablet and posting bunch of pics, I got no other choice but to put as thumbnails cuz manually typing the spoiler command was kinda pain in the buttocks.

Edit: ok. Mr. Wah got the explanation why

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD