Street Fighter
Tekken
King of Fighters
Dead or Alive
Mortal Kombat
Soul Calibur
Virtua Fighter
Guilty Gear

These games have been going for many many years in hand and they are all amazing games, but in my opinion, I just feel that there needs to be more major fighting games franchises like these in the future, but made by a completely new company and a new system archetype. As I love all of these games, I just feel that there needs to be more characters in the bucket of fighting games.

I feel like there should be a new age of fighting games. No, I'm not saying that the games mentioned above should stop being produced, but I'm saying that there should be some brand new fighting games with new mechanics to jump on board. Take Persona 4, Injustice and Skullgirls for an example. There is also a completely new fighting game coming for the consoles called Yatagarasu. That's also making it's debut.

I'm actually planning to make a fighting game when I'm older myself. But it's going to be a 3D fighting game with it's own unique system. It will be easy to learn but it will take a lifetime to master. The rest is classified, lol. I was driven to make a 3D fighting game to add more of them to the collection. I mean, out of all of the fighting games out there, there are only 4 of them.

So guys, what do you think about a "New age" of fighting games?

NOTE: About my game, you guys are gonna have to wait about 12 years to see it lol.

Last edited:

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
There are new IP's coming out all of the time. It's just that they either aren't done particularly well, or do the exact same thing as everybody else.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
They should make first person shooters where you throw your gun instead of firing it.

On topic, it's very difficult to change genre standards AND still sell the game.

I mean, out of all of the fighting games out there, there are only 4 of them.

Yeah... there's a reason for that. It's a tough market to jump into, and typically a console fighting game - 2D or 3D can cost upwards of 10 million dollars.

But best of luck in creating your own game. You have a team set up for it?

crapoZK

Standard Donor
No I do not, as I'm only 13 years old but, I got it all planned out. I even have the frame data and everything ready.
EDIT: I should be saving up to get copyrights on it, too.

o_YUE_o

These series have had their peaks, Tekken 5 DR, Soul Calibur 2 (despite the glitches), Virtua Fighter will always be my favorite. As for DOA... I havent really played the past games with extensive knowledge. I like DoA5 But I feel as if its a bit overdone with the stun properties. Mortal Kombat? hmm. thoughts will not be spoken as far as 9 goes... ESPECIALLY INJUSTICE. I am also taking on a goal to create a fighting game myself.

crapoZK

Standard Donor
I am also taking on a goal to create a fighting game myself.
Good luck man. What kind of fighting game will it be? 2D or 3D? I'm making 3D (As said above). I have almost finished the plans. The best part of doing the plans is doing the balance mechanics and the move lists, in my opinion. Also doing strategies for the game is quite a challenge as well.

o_YUE_o

Good luck man. What kind of fighting game will it be? 2D or 3D? I'm making 3D (As said above). I have almost finished the plans. The best part of doing the plans is doing the balance mechanics and the move lists, in my opinion. Also doing strategies for the game is quite a challenge as well.
3D... But I'm going to hold out on it because I need to start making mydebut with my first series which will be a 2D game not a fighter but a fun little beat em up.

crapoZK

Standard Donor
3D... But I'm going to hold out on it because I need to start making mydebut with my first series which will be a 2D game not a fighter but a fun little beat em up.
That's sick man! I'm actually planning to make a 2D FG as well, but I'm not planning for that to go on disc. It's going to be an Arcade game. There probably won't be as good as the 3D fighting game I've planned, though.

o_YUE_o

That's sick man! I'm actually planning to make a 2D FG as well, but I'm not planning for that to go on disc. It's going to be an Arcade game. There probably won't be as good as the 3D fighting game I've planned, though.
I'm just kind of waiting on the technology, because it will take a while to create the series, since every character will have their own story. like the Idea with the Timeline but just not so butchered. (the story for DOA5 would have been much more understandable if they just went in sequential order and EXPLAINED lol... They did explain but not thoroughly enough.

[and i can point out a BUNCH of continuation errors. such as the scene where Hayate was riding with Zack in the helicopter. Ayane wasn't in the scene, and was SUPPOSED to be there LOL...]

crapoZK

Standard Donor
I'm just kind of waiting on the technology, because it will take a while to create the series, since every character will have their own story. like the Idea with the Timeline but just not so butchered. (the story for DOA5 would have been much more understandable if they just went in sequential order and EXPLAINED lol... They did explain but not thoroughly enough.

[and i can point out a BUNCH of continuation errors. such as the scene where Hayate was riding with Zack in the helicopter. Ayane wasn't in the scene, and was SUPPOSED to be there LOL...]
Yeah, I know... It's funny, because they cut to random places around the world, in like 3 hours. It's understandable for ninjas, but how Zack got to the Amazon from Afghanistan in two hours? Yeah. I see what you are getting at though. My for the story mode is gonna be this massive story mode, with all of the characters in it. It will have how they got into the tournament, and who they fight and why. There won't be any pointless fights like "You made me drop my burger! Apologize!" fights either. They pretty much have campaigns in it, and every character is linked to what's going on in every single way possible.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I've started to do the script for the campaign (Goes under the name of chronicle) and I'm on like page 75, and I'm not even at the story arc yet. It's supposed to be long, but not boring.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Your game appears to be heavily over scoped.

No I do not, as I'm only 13 years old but, I got it all planned out. I even have the frame data and everything ready.
EDIT: I should be saving up to get copyrights on it, too.

Age doesn't matter. Go pick up some C# programming or 3D Modelling books.

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
I guess. Honestly, if I could give TN a bigger budget to expand the scope of DOA, it's really the only fighter I need. I have have had some fun dabbling in others, but none really captured my fancy. I don't have time to memorize frame data for 20-some different fighting games, each with a plethora of characters. DOA's good enough for me.

Like you I have an idea for a great fighting game, but it happens in a universe I have yet so establish, so I'm working on that end first.

R2Pichu

um...I dunno if this game counts as being popular for many years or we're leaving out Nintendo...but wat about Super Smash Bros._.
I dunno if you guys count that as a hardcore fighting game but I think it should get recognized too^-^"

d3v

Yatagarasu is in PC (at least the version that matters).

Smash hasn't mattered since Melee.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
I'll probably get laughed at for this, but I'd love to see Bamco for once pull a 2D fighter out of their asses to compete with GGXrd... like Queen's Blade.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD