DOA5 The Throw Punish Thread

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
While most Bass players make good use of their throws, there are still those who still press buttons or use OHs in situations where they can clearly throw punish an opponent, which are guaranteed. The purpose of this thread is to document every single punishable move on block.

This may appear as a redundant idea at first and some may argue that it's best to play by feel than by numbers and I do agree it's best to play against characters regularly to know what's punishable, but I think it's good to have a reference list for throw punishment if you want to get max damage on your throw punish.

This thread will be regularly updated and I'll keep testing moves individually, which means that this'll take a long time to finish.

Characters which are being tested will have their data presented on the OP. Once they're done, they'd be moved to another post and that post will be linked in the OP for reference. The reason for this is to prevent putting too much data on the OP and to keep things clean.

Click on character icon for punishers

Tools
:ayane:
:kasumi:No frame data available (HMMMMMM)
:bass:Bass Frame Data
:jannlee:No Frame Data available
:lisa:
:mila: Mila Frame Data

:christie:Slut Girl
If you don't learn how to fight against this character, I guarantee you you're going to have a miserable time.
:P::P::P::P:(:8:/:2::P::+::K:):P: (-3)(-12)(-10)(-18)(-13) (NT)(NT)(NT)(NT)(NT)
Punisher: :h::+::P:, :6::h::+::P:, :4::h::+::P:, :236::h::+::P:, :214::h::+::P:, :624::h::+::P:

:P::P::P::P:(:8:/:2::P::+::K:):2::P: (-3)(-12)(-10)(-18)(-11) (NT)(NT)(NT)(NT)(T)
Punisher: :2::h::+::P: (Note: :3::h::+::P: should theoretically work, but I can't get it working myself. Last hit can be interrupted by :3::h::+::P: )

:P::P::4::P::P::P: (-3)(-12)(-12)(-15)(-5) (NT)(NT)(T)(T)(NT)
Punisher: :h::+::P:

:P::P::4::P::K::P: (-3)(-12)(-12)(-14)(-8) (NT)(NT)(T)(T)(NT)
Punisher: :h::+::P:, :6::h::+::P:

:P::P::4::P::2::K: (-3)(-12)(-12)(-12) (NT)(NT)(T)(T)
Punisher: :2::h::+::P:, :3::h::+::P:, :3::3::h::+::P:

:P::P::2::P::P: (-3)(-12)(-15)(-9) (NT)(NT)(T)(NT)
Punisher: :h::+::P:, :6::h::+::P:, :4::h::+::P:, :236::h::+::P:

:P::P::K::K: (-3)(-12)(-12)(-7) (NT)(NT)(T)(T)
Punisher: :h::+::P:, :6::h::+::P:

next
sarah.jpg

:helena:
:genfu:
:kokoro:
:hayabusa:
:bayman:

Last edited:

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
It'll be hard for people to recognize a move on paper if they're unfamiliar with the character. However, I wish you luck in your endeavor. It's a good idea.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I don't need luck. I need time, which is in short supply these days. I'll do Ayane tonight, but I can't guarantee the whole move list tonight.

Bit by bit, I suppose.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Keep in mind they need to be verified as well. There's other things besides disadvantage on guard/hit that determine throw punishment. However, I approve of it.

Perhaps we can get a master list of all throw punishment possible attacks, then go through them as we can with Verified or not to determine if spacing/stance state affects the attack to be safe or not.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
What will be great about this thread, is that not only Bass, but all characters can benefit from this.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Keep in mind they need to be verified as well. There's other things besides disadvantage on guard/hit that determine throw punishment. However, I approve of it.

Perhaps we can get a master list of all throw punishment possible attacks, then go through them as we can with Verified or not to determine if spacing/stance state affects the attack to be safe or not.

Yes, that is exact reason why I'm going to test every single move since certain attack have different throw punishment requirement like Bass' - which you've stated before - actually has a -8 throw punish window.

So, yeah. Looong sleepless night ahead.

This is pretty much my primary focus with this game right now; making this master list.

i think :4::K: on :tina: isnt punishable the one where she goes back turned, i try lot and fail, same with :leifang:with the high :K: then mid :K: that pushes you back, it gets me every time and im not sure how to react other then backing up and seeing what she does after

dawnbringer

Ayane's :P::P::6::P::3: goes into stance (Shimo-Oroshi), from which Mid P and Low K strikes are available. If she starts a strike from there, she becomes non-throwable. If not cancelled into any of stance options shortest stance animation is about 25 frames, so time to react to it and follow up with throw is very limited.

HoodsXx

:bradwong:
:1: :P: :P: -12 on NH ( :2: :H+P: )
:6: :H+K: -4 on block ( :2: :H+P: , by grapplers only)
:3: :3: :h: :K: :K: -10 on block ( :2: :H+P: )
:4: :P: :P: -10 on block ( :H+P: ).

:hayate:
:6: :P: -12 on block ( :6: :6: :H+P: / :6: :H+P: / :H+P: )
:6: :P: :K: -7 on block ( :H+P:)

:kasumi:
:3: :P: -9 on block ( :H+P: / :6: :H+P: )
:6: :P: -9 on block ( :H+P: / :6: :H+P: )
:4: :P: :P: -10 on block ( :H+P: / :6: :H+P: )
:1: :P: :P: -10 on block ( :H+P: / :6: :H+P: )
:4: :P: :K:/ :K: -11 on block ( :H+P: / :6: :H+P: / :6: :6: :H+P: )
:P: :P: :P: :2: :K: -14 on block ( :H+P: / :6: :H+P: / :6: :6: :H+P: / :4: :H+P: )
:3: :P: :P: :P: -7 on block ( :H+P: )
:6: :P: :P: -7 on block ( :H+P: )
:P: :P: :P: :P: :P: -7 on block ( :H+P: )
:3: :P: :P: -10 on block ( :H+P: / :6: :H+P: / :4: :H+P: (grapplers only)
:6: :6: :P: -12 on block ( :H+P: / :6: :H+P: / :6: :6: :H+P: / :4: :H+P: (grapplers only)

:jannlee:
:6: :P: :P: -8 on block ( :H+P: / :6: :H+P: )

Pai-Chan
:P: :P: :P: -10 on block ( :H+P: / :6: :H+P: / :4: :H+P: (grapplers only)
:P: :P: :P: :K: -17 on block ( :H+P: / :6: :H+P: / :6: :6: :H+P: / :4: :H+P: / :2: :3: :6: :H+P: / :4: :1: :2: :3: :6: :H+P: )
:P: :P: :K: -7 on block ( :H+P:)
:6: :K: :P: -7 on block ( :H+P:)
:6: :6: :K: :P: -13 on block ( :H+P: / :6: :H+P: / :6: :6: :H+P: / :4: :H+P: )

HoodsXx

Ayane's :P::P::6::P::3: goes into stance (Shimo-Oroshi), from which Mid P and Low K strikes are available. If she starts a strike from there, she becomes non-throwable. If not cancelled into any of stance options shortest stance animation is about 25 frames, so time to react to it and follow up with throw is very limited.
I'm pretty sure as soon as she goes into that you can 2T her instantly. Since she's tech crouching.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Before I give my bit on Ayane, I want to say this thread is a VERY GOOD idea. But I also think more contribution needs to go toward our community's wiki as well.

About Ayane's BT P and PP6P3 (or 6P3)

BT P - Is a backturned jab, with followups (BT PP is -8)....you're not going to throw this move in matches, ever. Unless Ayane actually allows you to throw punish this (which should never happen in the first place). Attempting to throw BT P will get you "hi counter blown". Just throwing that out there. True, it is technically throw punishable but you're never going to throw punish this.

PP6P3 - This in general, isn't something one should be looking to throw for the simple that PP6P has too much going for it now. You have PP6P (delays or free cancel), PP6PK and PP6P3 to worry about (as in respect). There's PP6P9 as well but that's hardly viable anyway. A competent Ayane player will know exactly how to take advantage of how good this string is because of these options and will not get thrown out PP6P in general or interrupted.

Dawnbringer is correct, it is pretty hard to react to. ESPECIALLY with what I already mentioned. PP6PP/PP6PK is one of Ayane's most delayed strings. Having PP6P3 just made it all better.

Both of the above are technically throw punishable but should never realistically get thrown in a match.

SweetRevenge117

Standard Donor
If something is -7 you can't punish it with a 7 frame throw since theirs the one invisible frame. Anything -8 or higher can be punished with a 7 framer

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
To add, Ayane's PPP6 isn't viable (-7) as it offers nothing advantageous and there's no good risk/reward for using it either. She's putting herself in a terrible position if this is done. She's completely vulnerable to both jabs and mids. And what I already said about PP6P3 previously applies to PP6PK as well (and PP6P in general).

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
The sooner people tell me about the stupid things with their characters, the easier my kob will be.
Thanks.

But if I find out you've been trying to protect your character ill box

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
I am not one who lies to the community and keep players misinformed about anything concerning my character (Ayane). When people ask for my help (which is all too often), I do my best to help them out.

If you wish to know what other moves Ayane has that you "should" be throw punishing, I'll gladly make a list so you and other players know what's what.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Yes, please. This character has too many stupid things. I just want to confirm what's punishable and what's not.

and nah, I was just saying that generally, so that next mans don't start spreading misinformation.

If something is -7 you can't punish it with a 7 frame throw since theirs the one invisible frame. Anything -8 or higher can be punished with a 7 framer

Yeah, but Bass' 6H+P is i6 and I've tested it myself. If you find out anything that contradicts my findings, let me know, but I'm sure 6H+P can punish any -7 move.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Moves that should be throw punished with 6H+P/2H+P. Leaving out the obvious since things like PPPK and PPKKK just screams "rape me".

Formula: Move | Frames | Punishment

Ayane:

2K | -11 | 6H+P
BTK | -13 | 6H+P
PPP4 | -7 | H+P or 6H+P or Helljab
PP6PP | -12 | 6H+P
PKK | -13 | 6H+P
4PK | -14 | 6H+P *Same for BT4PK*
4P2K | -19 | 2H+P *Same for BT4P2K*
4P~K | -15 | 6H+P * Same for BT4P~K*
4P~2K | -17 | 2H+P *Same for BT4P~2K*
3PP | - 13 | H+P or 6H+P
3PK | - 11 | 2H+P
PP6KK | - 7 | H+P or 6H+P
PP6K2K | - 16 | 2H+P
1PK | -15 | 6H+P
1P2K | -13 | 2H+P
KKK | -13 | Duck this then 6H+P, if you see spinning for KK2K then helljab it
8K | -8 | H+P or 6H+P
8KK | - 18 | H+P *it might be crouch status, I forget*
8KKK | -15 | 2H+P *same about this one*
9K | -7 | 6H+P
7K | -30 | Anything
4K | -12 | 6H+P
236K/Drill Kick | -12 | H+P or H+P
P+KPP | -10 | H+P or 6H+P
P+KP7K | -30 | Anything
6P+KK | -15 | H+P or 6H+P
4P+K | -9 | H+P or 6H+P
H+K | -11 | 6H+P
8H+KK | -8 | 6H+P *Has slight pushback though, so careful with this one*
8H+K2K | -14 | 2H+P
4H+K | -17 | 6H+P
2H+K | -12 | 2H+P
Sidestep P | -9 | 6H+P
Sidestep K | -12 | 6H+P
BT PP6PK | -14 | 6H+P
BT PP62K | -19 | 2H+P
BT PP6P~K | -15 | 6H+P
BT PP6P~2K | -17 | 2H+P
BT PP4PPP | -10 | H+P or 6H+P
BT PP4PP7K | -30 | Anything
BT PP2PK | -17 | 6H+P
BT PP2P2K | -15 | 2H+P
BT 6P | -15 | 6H+P
BT 4K | -15 | 6H+P
BT 6H+P | -29 | 2H+P I believe
11K | -6, -3 on block mid range,, -2 at tip (max) range | H+P if blocked fairly close
BT3P | -8 | H+P or 6H+P

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Very nice. I'll get to it once I wake back up.

For :6::P::3::K::K::2::K: I would either suggest :h::+::K: for instant low crush or :3::h::+::P: (which tends to catch her in back-turned crouching status). Same for :K::K::2::K:.

Edit:
Characters which are being experimented on will have their data presented on the OP. Once they're done, they'd be moved to another post and that post will be linked in the OP for reference. The reason for this is to prevent putting too much data on the OP and to keep things clean.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD