Tiers vs Favorites (Fighting)

vINv

That is just being weak minded if u want to win bad enough do your home work.......... Hence how master lost with ryu high tier to a helena player mid tier...... And also in the tekken scene how cain used lili high mid tier. To beat high tier chars like just frames james law etc tier does not define the game just how much effort is required

Yaguar

I always pick a style I like, tier lists don't help me if I don't like playing how that character is aimed to be played.

I played Eliot and Tina in DOA 4. Think Tina rated quite well on the tiers but Eliot I know was bad and I can't say it stopped me trying to use him in cash tournaments. I even threw a CGS qualifier round with him =D

d3v

Except it's too early to call tiers for DOA5 and signs seem to point that Helena is high tier.

Also, that person you're "calling weak" minded is Viscant, aka the EVO2011 MvC3 champ.

vINv

But this isnt a street fighter or a marvel site stay on subject we play doa and tekken and virtua fighter to get away from games like marvel where tier basically runs thoses games 3d takes more skill because u cant fall on high tier to win all the time mk kabal kunlao streetfighter ken ryu juri viper akuma dan blaze blue lamda ragana etc ...... The high tiers are jan lee ayane kasumi sarah bryant akira ryu hyubusa .helena is high mid tier i studied her frame data tirelessy yes she has force tech leaves her on advantage but kasumi gen jan zack christie are all good match ups for her because her offense out of bukudo fastest move from bk and back turn is 12fr all the chars listed have llfr mids.... Why they gave helena tech duck move to give her a fighting chance aganist them

X51

I don't know if ca$hcom rebalanced SSF4AE but I remember that top tiers were chinese people (Chun-Li, Fei Long, Yin and Yun). In BB it's been a long time since Lambda/Nu is off top tier. BBCSEX tops are Valken, Ragna, Hazama, Hakumen and Taokaka. In BBCSII were Hazama, Litchi, Taokaka and maybe Valken (I can't remember well).
I choose characters because I like them at first. Then I try to use them a little and if I see that I can advance with the character I stick to what my skills and my scrub-mind-like allows me. If I can't do crap, I usually drop the character. Never choosed anything by tier.

Leady?

Uhh... the very definition of scrub is someone who refuses to acknowledge these things and refuses to play to win.
Well, while good players def acknowledge tiers. whether choosing to use the top or not - playing to learn is viable as fuck too, proven by many, but ofc, in the end, it's learning what to use/when to win.

d3v

I don't know if ca$hcom rebalanced SSF4AE but I remember that top tiers were chinese people (Chun-Li, Fei Long, Yin and Yun). In BB it's been a long time since Lambda/Nu is off top tier. BBCSEX tops are Valken, Ragna, Hazama, Hakumen and Taokaka. In BBCSII were Hazama, Litchi, Taokaka and maybe Valken (I can't remember well).
I choose characters because I like them at first. Then I try to use them a little and if I see that I can advance with the character I stick to what my skills and my scrub-mind-like allows me. If I can't do crap, I usually drop the character. Never choosed anything by tier.
AE2012 is simply:
Top - Anyone who can vortex.
Bottom- Everyone else.

Off course, it has always been like this ever since, we've only just really picked up on the tech now.

synce

That's hilarious, I'd argue that the top tier DOA5 characters are also Chinese. Jann, Lei, Pai, and Gen. Funnily enough not Brad, maybe because he's a white boy lol

Anyway I've never let tiers decide my character. I always pick whoever's fun to use or looks cool, and somehow it always ends up being someone that's either top tier or shit tier

vINv

I thinks some of the people are way to charcter biased only one char in doa is op hes getting patched because of it mr jan lee dragon gunner combos.........

vINv

I thinks some of the people are way to charcter biased only one char in doa is op hes getting patched because of it mr jan lee dragon gunner combos.........

Leady?

I'm pretty new to DOA and lose a lot with Jann Lee yet still main him. I know he's top tier, (rightfully so) but as a beginner, I need to learn timing, adaptation/how to fight everyone and adjust to the counter system itself anyways, so tiers alone don't provide a win. There are other characters I find appealing too, but I just feel most comfortable with him thus far [and he's a pretty hype fellow lol], despite seeing some crazy-good stuff from lots of Hayates, Christies, blahblahblah so as for saying picking him just for tiers...uhhh >.>

In regards to OP - How about Ayane? Mila? Not rly trying to argue, and I know everything matters (including tiers) once it becomes high level play [chun, yun, ken: Top 8 - rather than 12, necro, Q], I'm just sayin.

Plus, consecutive Dragon Gunners take pretty good timing+judgement for blocked hit confirmation/to just read right, and can't simply be thrown out. Almost like saying to fix Hayabusa's teleport or Bayman's ground trip...eye of the beholder I guess.

vINv

Well heres the thing hes getting patched because his dmg out puts really high not only that but dragon gunner combos can b reset during the intial set up way to much going on their and he has more guranteed juggles then anyone else on the roster not really complaining just saying im glad its being toned down 2 many noobs abuse it but im alos glad helenas fp tech is being patched so ppl stop complainning about helena also i have like 5 friends that dropped jan lee in five cuz they say hes to op and hayates is terrible hence y their buffing him ill give u ayane thoughs shes pretty good

Leady?

Well heres the thing hes getting patched because his dmg out puts really high not only that but dragon gunner combos can b reset during the intial set up way to much going on their and he has more guranteed juggles then anyone else on the roster not really complaining just saying im glad its being toned down 2 many noobs abuse it but im alos glad helenas fp tech is being patched so ppl stop complainning about helena also i have like 5 friends that dropped jan lee in five cuz they say hes to op and hayates is terrible hence y their buffing him ill give u ayane thoughs shes pretty good
Twas Jann Lee vs. Hayate in that season's beatings vid till it became a mirror match. I see him used pretty often online. In the right hands, one can do ridiculous stun-dependant combos that create big dmg off few hits.

Kasumi can do extremely long juggle combos too.

The times I've won have mostly come more from being less predictable, blocking/countering correctly than it has off combos, however - those crazy ass combos people do in the Jann section of this forum - if I could readily do those on reaction, I'd prolly feel OP too lol. Would feel badass tho. Good timing+memory huehuehue.

Guess I can't rly defend em since I'm not a master to really feel his 'brokenness' since I drop even tiny combos or get uncertain of what to use to keep it going as long as others...GG.

I'm a fresh noob, so mayhaps my argument is invalid. I plan to try learnin more chars anyways.

vINv

Dont learn to many u must retain knowledge of frames and punish and set ups with the char ur using

Leady?

Dont learn to many u must retain knowledge of frames and punish and set ups with the char ur using
Chyah, I should prolly focus on mastering 1 or 2, as opposed to jumping around 4 or 5 n just "maining" some...

Xernuht

I acknowledge that tiers exist, but when I find a character I like playing, it doesn't matter if it's a 5-5 or an 2-8 against me, I'll stick with them. It just makes any win that much sweeter.

I'd lose a lot of money this way, so I don't attend tournaments.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Which is sad, because anyone who loves fighting games should.
I can't like this enough times, unfortunately. I actually just put up a thread about EVO 2013 and talk a bit about that very subject. Tournaments are completely unique experiences and if you have even a passing interest in fighting games at the competitive level you owe it to yourself to make it to some majors. Hell, even locals are better than nothing.

On topic, I play to win, so if I can't find a character that I like AND is in the upper echelons of the cast, I generally find my interest waning in the title incredibly fast. That's part of my problem with DoA5 in general, pre-1.03.

tnzk

I acknowledge that tiers exist, but when I find a character I like playing, it doesn't matter if it's a 5-5 or an 2-8 against me, I'll stick with them. It just makes any win that much sweeter.

I'd lose a lot of money this way, so I don't attend tournaments.

Just to go along with what d3v and CyberEvil said, you don't lose money. You gain experience, knowledge, and wisdom.

You could possibly take your favourite fighting character to the next level after attending a tournament. I mean, Kuroda couldn't have done with what he did with Q in SFIII:TS if he didn't constantly attend tournaments.

d3v

But even Kuroda will tier whore in 3S when it comes to tournaments. If by any chance he isn't using top tier, it's usually in a team tournament where he's partnered with 2 top tier players (e.g. SBO 2012 where his Oro was partnered with Boss' Yun and MOV's Chun).

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD