Tina's force tech game

shinryu

I think this is sufficiently key to Tina's game that it deserves its own thread. As discussed in the primary thread, DMC MSR NASHFAN and Django posted a set of force techs that works after several of her hard knockdown moves. I was thinking in a similar direction after playing with Mila's options some but they had put them up first. I've been playing with them and they are incredibly powerful options. I am beginning to think that Tina's optimal strategy may be to very rarely actually go for juggles but to go for hard knockdowns into force techs. She has great difficulty starting pressure but once these get going your opponent is a couple bad guesses away from a lost round, and unlike Mila or Bayman she doesn't give up nearly as much damage to set up the force techs.

To my knowledge, the following moves will allow a force tech:
3p+k
6f+k
hold 3pp
214p

You cannot force tech after 46p or 8p in juggles, and I don't believe it works after a 66f+p by the wall but I need to confirm, so the ground throw is not obsolete. However, in general if you can force tech you should. Your primary options are

1p 6f+k (12 damage, +9 advantage)
hold 3p (~9 damage, +17 advantage)
2p 1p (~5 damage, +19 advantage)

Each of the force techs has advantages in particular situations to make particular setups. For the most part, 1p 6f+k is probably best. It only does slightly less damage than the usual ground throw (exception is after backturned hard knockdown, where you are giving up 17 damage on the ground throw, it may be occasionally worthwhile to just take the extra damage). At +9, a number of options open up; 66f+p will stop any standing attack, 44p will tech crouch even a 9 frame jab and start stun, and 4k and 3k give unsafe and safe mid kick options. Dash up throws are possible (there's a little space) so 33 wr 64f+p is an option. 6f+k will work against anyone without a 9 frame jab, while 214p should work against anyone to reset the force tech situation as well. She has nasty reset options in 44p/4k BT k and 6k kk, as either give a backturned and guaranteed 6f+k to force tech. You should be able to mix up 8p and k if 6k. 214p will reset after 8p.

Hold 3p may be preferable if you'd like to set up throws. Against non 9 framers, it also gives you the option to use 7k as a guard break (should counterhit/close hit a 10 frame jab at +17). Otherwise your options are basically the same, though 46f+p is now available and can be charged a bit.

2p 1p is a bit of an oddity. It doesn't do much damage and it knocks them quite far away, but they are spaced in an interesting situation. 6f+k will always hit. If they do nothing after the tech, 46p will just barely whiff in front of them, but if they guard or crouch, they will be hit for either a +4 guard break (so elbow/throw against everybody) or the adjusted crouch hit damage and knockback. It will also connect against probably any attack they attempt. I believe 46f+p is in a similar situation. So if you expect your opponent to block after the tech this is a good choice to keep the pressure on. They have to be pretty ballsy to not block and 6f+k will hit them for sure so they have to commit to their option as soon as they tech up. I don't think they can react to it at all. I suspect 66k may be safely spaced after this option as well but need to test. This may be good if it will get them to a wall as well.

You can also force tech with

2p2p (not much reason to do this but does give +26 advantage, they are at a very far distance though. Maybe 3p+k setup?).
1k (pretty crappy as well, only +7 advantage, a weaker version of 1p 6f+k. Might be some situations where 1p wouldn't reach and you'd have to use this)

but really why? If you find out please do let us know.

Given Tina's difficulties in establishing pressure, I'm of the opinion this is really what she should be trying to establish from even most stun combos rather than a launch. Obviously if you get the CB by all means take the damage, but she can get a basically guaranteed 214p to force tech after 8p (not stagger escapable on fast, but CB is) and gets 6f+k after kk and bt k. (sadly, though this is a backturned situation they are forced up facing you). I'm not sure if there are any juggles that give you a force tech situation guaranteed but I need to explore that more. You're not giving up boatloads of damage either relative to most juggles (~10 to 15 points for an air throw or 8p 2f+p juggle), and these will work on any weight class and don't require any stun threshold to set up. Essentially after almost any stun that's long enough you can mix up between 8p 214p and 6f+k options to get the force tech situation. Also, hold 3pp now becomes a much more legitimate threat as the opponent really needs to block/sidestep/hold that second p or else end up in a force tech situation, so the throw/mid mixup is actually very strong. Your opponent has to call your bluff or you're in/throwing them off hold 3p.

Also, like Helena, Tina has a safe force tech setup off juggles with 6pp2p. After the 2p if they don't tech immediately either of 2p or 1p (not hold 3p) will start the force tech up, while if they do tech at least 1p leaves you at only -3. You can't really wait and see if they tech unfortunately, you have to input right after the 6pp2p but you're safe on whiff. If they catch on and start teching you can start catching them with an 8k/8f+p mixup. I'm not sure if this works on all techs but in this case the active frames of either are perfectly timed to catch them as they come up from the tech, and the animations are fairly similar. I think 8k is still unholdable but I'm not sure how bad off you are after the hold or if you're reasonably safe. If for some reason you end up juggling and you'd like to force tech as far as I know this is the best option. Except for Helena I don't think there are juggle force techs.

shinryu

after hold 3p force tech i just reset 6f+k Hold 3p till they block, and go for 66T or 41236T.

So there's kind of an interesting question here, I think it may be more true for 6f+k off the 2p 1p force tech, but as I understand it holds take 1 frame to become active. So if you have the active frame hitting on the 20th frame after a +19 recovery, does that make it unholdable? I can't think of a good 17 frame move off the top of my head to apply after the hold 3p tech, but a safe, unholdable reset is kind of awesome. This does assume that it's hitting on the exact first frame though, I'll have to test if that's even possible. Will ping the general forum.

Django

So there's kind of an interesting question here, I think it may be more true for 6f+k off the 2p 1p force tech, but as I understand it holds take 1 frame to become active. So if you have the active frame hitting on the 20th frame after a +19 recovery, does that make it unholdable? I can't think of a good 17 frame move off the top of my head to apply after the hold 3p tech, but a safe, unholdable reset is kind of awesome. This does assume that it's hitting on the exact first frame though, I'll have to test if that's even possible. Will ping the general forum.

i just try 6H+K hold 3P into H+K 16 frame attack, and it can be hold still.
also u can't forget that strikes/throws hit on the next frame that the game tell you.

Django

am in love with hold 3P Force tech, running that train +17 right in your face :cool:

and the 2p 1p, misses sometimes... maybe am being slow. i do like u can running T after it.

PacManila

Thanks for compiling this. Been mostly using 6H+K to force tech since I can't seem to get hold 3P to come out consistently yet (not to mention I've been hitting the first 6H+K from a distance).

There are some things I noticed when playing a friend and some others. My friend who uses Brad would sometimes go into the laydown stance to avoid the throw after the force tech. Another player, who was using Ayane, would use her backward spin to avoid the throw setup after force tech. I'm not sure if I'm just slow (I usually use 46H+P or 66H+P), but for Brad, I would use 6H+K to put him in the reset again. I haven't tested this on Ayane, but I'm assuming it should work the same.

DForev

Hmm, so the best you can do really is a OH throw follow-up after the force tech? In terms of guaranteed hit at least? Of all listed, I'm liking hold 3p due to the proximity, and the fact you can 8p the opponent while rising into a sit-down stun straight away. If I can use this setup to start a combo, sweet!

Is 6h+k 8p also a force tech? I'm not sure what criteria is needed to be considered force tech, but if it is, you get +22 from it, at a distance a bit further from hold 3p.

DRS MCZ NASHFAN

Hmm, so the best you can do really is a OH throw follow-up after the force tech? In terms of guaranteed hit at least? Of all listed, I'm liking hold 3p due to the proximity, and the fact you can 8p the opponent while rising into a sit-down stun straight away. If I can use this setup to start a combo, sweet!

Is 6h+k 8p also a force tech? I'm not sure what criteria is needed to be considered force tech, but if it is, you get +22 from it, at a distance a bit further from hold 3p.
8P works also and sets up the shining wizard throw. Also guys if you know there going to duck or press buttons, go for 6K or 6P+K so you can attempt to get max dmg.

Django

1p 6f+k (12 damage, +9 advantage)
hold 3p (~9 damage, +17 advantage)
2p 1p (~5 damage, +19 advantage)

change it to

Force Tech
1P 6H+K (13 damage, +9 advantage)
hold 3P (6 damage, +17 advantage)
8P (7 damage, +22 advantage)

no need for 2P 1P anymore
and the best part yet! 8P +22 Force Tech has the right range for a 46P +3 on block and 6H+K -1:eek:!!!
if your getting +1 or +2 your not doing it fast enough.

8P is the best...

shinryu

That is very, very cool stuff; thanks for the heads up. Also thanks for correcting my numbers as well, I was working from memory. I wouldn't have thought of using 8p, honestly. It's amazing how many options she has to set up different scenarios depending on what you'd like to go for and the opponent always has to be trying to adjust their timings and reactions to exactly what you're doing. +3 is enough to do elbow/throw mixup on everybody but Kasumi and Christie, so that's amazing. At +22 46f+p should hit on the first or second frame as well or even could be charged for a bit. so that becomes an option if they start sidestepping/blocking habitually. T. I had a quick update but I think we have a winner right there.Anyway, though, if people are interested, couple new bits of tech.:

It looks like you can in fact get a +5 on block 4p+k off of the 2p 2p reset. It seems like the moonsault is just delayed enough that a lot of attacks on recovery will whiff/get beat out even though you're only +26, but no guarantees there. I'd like to try 66p+k just for shits too to see if it will guard break at this distance. Every so often it's worth giving up some initial damage to confuse the opponent. But I imagine this is mostly a gimmick setup.

The pseudo-force tech looks like it works from from 66p6k after a launcher, meaning you give up even less damage. You're also only 0 or -1 on the 1p whiff if they tech.This is also a situation where 2p 1p might not be entirely obsolete as I don't think you can set up anything but 1p 6f+k and 2p 1p or 2p 2p , but we should determine if 8p works here too and how bad off you are on whiff.. I suspect it may slam rather than force tech but I'll have to go back and check that. If 8p worked and was safe on tech that would be excellent.

Also, it looks like unholdables are out as best as I can tell. The guide says holds are now 0-frame startup and none of the setups I tested worked on me or the computer. It would be interesting to try 46p after 8p though.

PacManila

Great find on the 8P force tech, definitely trying that out in my matches. Another cool thing about it is that 8P has good range after the knockdown. I tested the range (using 6H+K for the knockdown) and saw that you can still hit 8P if you knock them down from 3 backdashes away, which is about the max distance 6H+K can hit.

If you're going for the throw option after the force tech, you'll have to dash first. 66H+P will work, but if you're going to do any of her other throws, including 46H+P, you need to dash or else the throw will whiff.

shinryu

So 8p actually works like a charm after the 6ppk setup too, but it messes up the spacing a bit so you have to delay a 46p ever so slightly. You're actually at +23. If they tech, you're at even frames so no risk to you to try it.

Edit: So this is a little more complex than I had thought, the advantage is actually character weight se specific. So Kasumi is +23, Jann Lee/Bayman is +22, so far. However, the advantage on whiff is even better than I had thought. You're effectively at +1, so you will trade p with most of the cast. 46p and 46 f+p enter crush frames before their jab comes out so you can 46p as well if you expect a jab. You're still going to lose to mids but then you can always p those. It's still a guess but it's definitely one more in your favor than usual. It's not quite as good as Bayman's setup but it's definitely good.

On the other hand, you may actually just want to go for 2p 6f+k here. Why? If 2p whiffs, it looks like your effective advantage against the teching opponent is about +5. I've beat Christie's p with 6p, k, and 4k. If they don't tech you still get to get 6f+k for 9 damage and +9 out of the deal.

On a succesful force tech with 8p, you can kind of use the 8k 8f+p mixup, but you kind of have to expect the opponent to attack; if they just stand there you'll probably whiff.

DForev

and the best part YET!!! 8P +22 Force Tech has the right range for a 46P +3 on block and 6H+K -1:eek:!!!!!!!
if your getting +1 or +2 your not doing it fast enough.

8P is the best...

Haha, weird how that works. I remember when I tried 46P, I got +1. Then I delayed it ever so slightly, and got +2. But if I do it straight away, I get +3? Even more awesome!

And yea, she needs a couple more inches forward for her non-dashing throws to hit on block (or if they just stand there). But if the opponent holds(well, mid-hold at least), they get closer to you so they make up that difference.

Are any strikes guaranteed? I mean, 66k is 21 frames and covers the distances from 8P well, but it's pointless if the opponent can still block or hold.

Django

Haha, weird how that works. I remember when I tried 46P, I got +1. Then I delayed it ever so slightly, and got +2. But if I do it straight away, I get +3? Even more awesome!

And yea, she needs a couple more inches forward for her non-dashing throws to hit on block (or if they just stand there). But if the opponent holds(well, mid-hold at least), they get closer to you so they make up that difference.

Are any strikes guaranteed? I mean, 66k is 21 frames and covers the distances from 8P well, but it's pointless if the opponent can still block or hold.

it cause when u do 46P frame 19-21 whiff, and it hit them on active frame 22 cause you can't hit before that, hitting 3 frame later getting you +3, same for 6H+K making it -1.

just do 236 2364 T for buffer MTD while dashing if u know they gonna block.

and no, no attack is guaranteed.

shinryu

So it turns out there's a bit of weirdness to the force tech thing. It looks like some knockdowns entirely disable force teching till the opponent gets up somehow, while others don't.. Basically, the 6ppk 2p setup isn't ironclad if the 2p hits, so you're probably better off using 8p. However, I'm pretty sure you can still see if the opponent techs or not and react appropriately. 2p or 1p 6f+k should still be a true force tech from a hard knockdown however.

shinryu

As a quick update, the 8p after 6ppk setup has some dependence on launch height in terms of the advantage on whiff. Basically, if you've launched higher and started 6ppk while the opponent was higher up you'll whiff later in your animation on a tech, so you'll have more effective advantage against the opponent. For example, after a very dumb 6p+k pp 6p+k 6p+k CB, if you launch with the knee and 66ppk 8p, you're at about +4 or better if the opponent techs and 8p whiffs: I've stuffed Kasumi's p with 6p after this. This will do something like 101 damage, or 108 if the 8p connects. While it's less damage than the optimal juggle ender, doing ~100 points of damage and being between +4 and +22 in the opponent's face (if they miss the tech) is a pretty good situation to be in if the damage from the combo won't end the round. I'm not certain how the whiff advantage changes for other juggle heights (e.g. if you go 9pk 6ppk or aren't quite at threshold otherwise). But in general the higher the launch the better you'll do and trying to force tech with 8p is going to be a safe bet regardless. You just may not have all the pressure options you'd like on the tech.

shinryu

So, after a bit more experimentation, it looks like 6pp6k 8p may be the preferred force tech juggle ender. The 6k animation at the end recovers faster than the 33k animation from 6ppk, and so even if 8p whiffs you're at something like +6 or +8 after the tech. Beat Kasumi's p with 3k for sure. You might be able to land a 66f+p but I didn't check that, but that should be an option against most other characters. Should get the +22 situation if they don't tech of course.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD