Tomonobu Itagaki On Dead or Alive 5: “My Daughter Was Totally Ruined”

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
Regarding the character models (since that seems to be the biggest whine in the thread at the moment), I personally like the new ones better. Sure the old ones were good, but they looked emotionless and dead.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Why is Itagaki only referring to Kasumi? If he really cared about the game, wouldn't he have mentioned his other daughters, sons, or better yet....children?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
He's not specifically referring to Kasumi. He's calling the entire series his daughter.

JIX9ISLER1986

I guess Street Fighter isn't relevant either eh. Oh wait, they had 4 versions.

Some of us actually like the fact we have a method to get new content every year. It's much better than getting no content. They aren't even full priced games at this point.

Now if you're the type of individual who dabbles into a game and hardly plays it then yes, I could see having a new game come out every year as being annoying. But the people who actually do play it are usually quite happy to receive updates.

And hey, there is always the free version for folks who just don't want to play it that much.

1)Yes street fighter 4 isn't relevant in my eyes for the for that very reason ….i have street fighter 4 and super street fighter 4 fool me once fool me twice….so there is no bias here sir ….. why even bring up street fighter as an ''argument' ' street fighter 4 is actually at EVO whereas 3 doa5 failed to make EVO and doa 5U failed to make EVO and last round probably won't either.
…so lets not compare the actions of capcom to koei tecmo …. capcom has proven they can get away it….

2) Doesn't really matter to me if they aren't full priced the cost adds up… multiple versions is either one of two things in most cases; either 1) cashing in on whatever mindless drones who will be willing to buy it no questions asked or 2) the competitive player which is the niche sector of the FGC as a whole….multiple versions are targeted specifically for the competitive players…(most of your revenue in terms of copies sold is coming from the average gamer not the completive player)

3) I did get doa5 but i refused to get doa5U for obvious reasons…(same as with street fighter and marvel vs capcom)

4) You aren't ''receiving updates'' they are holding a gun to your head and saying if you want to continue this experience give me more money….that not receiving thats an ultimatum…. because with every iteration you are slicing the community and less players will be on the previous versions..

5) doa5 irrelevant less than 1yr after release due to doa5U and now Doa5 will be irrelevant due to last round …..thats the point…

Last edited:

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
1)Yes street fighter 4 isn't relevant in my eyes for the for that very reason ….i have street fighter 4 and super street fighter 4 fool me once fool me twice….so there is no bias here sir ….. why even bring up street fighter as an ''argument' ' street fighter 4 is actually at EVO whereas 3 doa5 failed to make EVO and doa 5U failed to make EVO and last round probably won't either.
…so lets not compare the actions of capcom to koei tecmo …. capcom has proven they can get away it….

2) Doesn't really matter to me if they aren't full priced the cost adds up… multiple versions is either one of two things in most cases; either 1) cashing in on whatever mindless drones who will be willing to buy it no questions asked or 2) the competitive player which is the niche sector of the FGC as a whole….multiple versions are targeted specifically for the competitive players…(most of your revenue in terms of copies sold is coming from the average gamer not the completive player)

3) I did get doa5 but i refused to get doa5U for obvious reasons…(same as with street fighter and marvel vs capcom)

4) You aren't ''receiving updates'' they are holding a gun to your head and saying if you want to continue this experience give me more money….that not receiving thats an ultimatum…. because with every iteration you are slicing the community and less players will be on the previous versions..

5) doa5 irrelevant less than 1yr after release due to doa5U and now Doa5 will be irrelevant due to last round …..thats the point…

I don't think you know what "relevant" means. SF, with its numerous updates, including USF4 is relevant, very relevant with respect to the FGC. DOA5 & DOA5U not making EVO has nothing to do with "relevancy" or the game receiving updates. With SF as an example, the game receives updates because the Capcom community appreciates them and because it does represent a form of the developer supporting the game franchise. Same with DOA5. If they were doing this to price gouge us, they'd charge each update $60 a pop like most fucking sports games and CoD do.

I'm just fucking happy Team Ninja actually still supports the game as well as they have been doing.

Last edited:

JIX9ISLER1986

I don't think you know what "relevant" means. SF, with its numerous updates, including USF4 is relevant, very relevant with respect to the FGC. DOA5 & DOA5U not making EVO has nothing to do with "relevancy" or the game receiving updates. With SF as an example, the game receives updates because the Capcom community appreciates them and because it does represent a form of the developer supporting the game franchise. Same with DOA5. If they were doing this to price gouge us, they'd charge each update $60 a pop like most fucking sports games and CoD do.

I'm just fucking happy Team Ninja actually still supports the game as well as they have been doing.

1)Did you read this ''isn't relevant in my eyes for the for that very reason'' this is a personal statement so yes i do know what relevant means..relevance equates to holding my interest.

ex. COD is irrelevant if i made this statement it would be ignorant if i was speaking for a collective group…that is an individual/personal statement.

2) Are you trying to say multiple updates =relevance ?
Again comparing multiple versions of street fighter to multiple version of doa is a bad comparison because tecmo isn't nearly popular as capcom therefore they have gotten away with it for so long.

3)''DOA5 & DOA5U not making EVO has nothing to do with "relevancy" or the game receiving updates.''
I've read comments in the comment section and doa apparently is the most popular as its ever been ….if thats the case how is it that doa5 can come out two weeks after TTT2 (2012) and fail to get to the most relevant tournament in USA ? please do answer that question.

and if last round is the culmination of all the fan feedback from the previous 2 versions ….what on earth was doa5 supposed to be then? logically it should have been the culmination of the fan feedback from doa4 to doa5…. But yet 2 versions later…...

team ninja supporting there ''game'' is good…however imo are going about it the completely wrong way by charging for things that easily could have been there from the start.

Last edited:

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
DOA5 & DOA5U didn't make it into EVO because 3D fighters aren't popular, aren't published by Capcom and because Team Ninja or Koei-Tecmo don't kiss anyone's ass to get added to the roster. The tournament scene could've been a bit stronger too also. As for TTT2, it had no justification for being at EVO this year. DOA5U has thrashed it at US Majors this year for the most part.

Being "relevant" to you doesn't mean anything to anyone. "Relevant" pertains to how something is perceived by a whole.

DOA4 and DOA5 were practically developed by different teams, i.e. Itagaki's "Team Ninja" and Hayashi's "Team Ninja".

JIX9ISLER1986

DOA5 & DOA5U didn't make it into EVO because 3D fighters aren't popular, aren't published by Capcom and because Team Ninja or Koei-Tecmo don't kiss anyone's ass to get added to the roster. The tournament scene could've been a bit stronger too also. As for TTT2, it had no justification for being at EVO this year. DOA5U has thrashed it at US Majors this year for the most part.

Being "relevant" to you doesn't mean anything to anyone. "Relevant" pertains to how something is perceived by a whole.

DOA4 and DOA5 were practically developed by different teams, i.e. Itagaki's "Team Ninja" and Hayashi's "Team Ninja".

yes 3d fighters are not as popular as 2d however

1)''don't kiss anyone's ass to get added to the roster.''

whose fault is that ? besides TTT2 made was at EVO twice and came out 2 weeks before doa5 so…..
if you want your game to get the most exposure and to be at the most ''relevant'' tournament you have to care about it being at EVO there is no way to damage control it ….

doa4 = EVO, CGS, WCG (exclusive)
doa5= ??? (multiplat)

2) ''As for TTT2, it had no justification for being at EVO this year.''

yes there was. The community made it happen …plain and simple…the same way the smash community did last year no way to damage control that

3) ''DOA5U has thrashed it at US Majors this year for the most part.''

Outside of final round you are probably correct ….meanwhile TTT2 tournament globally is thrashing it especially in japan recently had almost 900 entrees for the master cup.

''Being "relevant" to you doesn't mean anything to anyone. "Relevant" pertains to how something is perceived by a whole.''

relevance is a subjective term… but to your point ''Relevant" pertains to how something is perceived by a whole.'''

no FGC player would say meh EVO, MLG, WCG ECT is irrelevant or doesn't matter

Last edited:
Reactions: CFW

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Dude, I'm not going to argue with you anymore. You're just derailing the thread now and quite frankly don't know what you're talking about. This is a DOA forum, this is a thread about Tomonobu Itagaki with respect to DOA4, DOA5 (and older DOA's to an extent). Let's just drop it.

David Gregg

Agreed Aerospark. I hope that this new trailer, especially the PC confirmation just hushes him up for a little bit. The game is doing great right now and other character is on the way.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Nah, Knowing Itagaki he'll just go crying to his fans even more lol. If he wants a piece of the DOA pie, he'll have to buy DOA5LR like everyone else =P.

JIX9ISLER1986

Dude, I'm not going to argue with you anymore. You're just derailing the thread now and quite frankly don't know what you're talking about. This is a DOA forum, this is a thread about Tomonobu Itagaki with respect to DOA4, DOA5 (and older DOA's to an extent). Let's just drop it.
Im lost this is an argument ? my feelings never got in the way here ….i guess the same can't be said for you …..agreed its best to drop it if thats the case on your end….

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
team ninja supporting there ''game'' is good…however imo are going about it the completely wrong way by charging for things that easily could have been there from the start.

I don't think you know how game development works.

Work gets done in a cycle. Typically, work done in that cycle is designated for a specific release version. All work done in that cycle has a cost associated with it -- employees have to be paid a salary, after all. This cost is offset by selling the product version in question.

Work that is not completed during that cycle is typically worked on during the next cycle. Sometimes, things are very nearly completed at the end of a cycle but just don't make it. Sometimes that content is added later on for free, like Zack Island or Lorelei.

Other times, the content wasnt really near completed and becomes the focus of the next cycle. This cycle, again, has its own costs associated with it, and so selling something is mandatory. Employees can't simply be paid with money that doesn't exist.

Cycle starts, cycle is finished, work begins on next cycle, product from first cycle is sold, people hear about second cycle and bitch about why they can't have content that is still in development for free.

That is that wheel of ignorance in regards to game development. Please don't spin the wheel faster.

It's like buying a roast chicken and on your way out the door complaining because the next chicken the guy just pulled out of the oven is newer and should have been offered from the start.

Last edited:

lotr9690

can we all be friends and just drag itagaki for his "my daughter was ruined" statement
Thank you. Yes. We should. It was a creepy remark. Doesn't he have an actual human daughter? How would that make her feel? Being compared to DOA. And then to say DOA is ruined .. tsk tsk. He's a lovable idiot, though. You kind of want to rag on him, but at the same time he did make DOA but on the third hand its nice to see DOA evolve (or devolve, if that's how you feel). Personally, I like that it's less cartoon-y. And I liked what they were going for during the Demo. It's probably what I'll be modding toward on Steam. But still.. Itagaki...
GCGFpGs.gif

;)

-- See smiley face. I don't hate him. No need to defend him. He said something stupid. That's all. No harm, no foul.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD