Unholdable Stuns and Unholdable Attacks . . .

UncleBiscuits79

Hello All, Some questions for the community. I have tried to do my due diligence in finding more info, but haven't had luck.

1.) I am familiar with Unholdable Stuns, but not all of them. I know about the sit down stun, and the 'wall splat' stun. I think there are others though. Can someone list them all and describe how they look. Trying to learn to slow escape more often than trying to hold out of bad stuns.

2.) Is there a general rule for moves that can't be held? I think 'back check' moves are the only ones I know of (I'm looking at you Akira and Kokoro), but There must be others? Can someone explain and list the types of unholdable moves (or are they more character specific)?

All I got for now. Let me know your thoughts.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
1. Faint stuns like Leifang's 64P, Gen Fu's 4P+K, Christie's P+K(?).

2. Mostly full body/butt attacks. Stuff like Leifang's 3P+K, Gen Fu's H+K, Brad Wong's 6H+K(?).

EDIT: Also stuns that aren't critical stuns, like guard breaks, Kokoro's old 1T from vanilla DOA5, etc. And critical burst, of course.

Last edited:

UncleBiscuits79

1. Faint stuns like Leifang's 64P, Gen Fu's 4P+K, Christie's P+K(?).

2. Mostly full body/butt attacks. Stuff like Leifang's 3P+K, Gen Fu's H+K, Brad Wong's 6H+K(?).

EDIT: Also stuns that aren't critical stuns, like guard breaks, Kokoro's old 1T from vanilla DOA5, etc. And critical burst, of course.

Ok, so 2.) is what I expected. So for 1.) though, the moves that you listed, do they generate a sit down stun, or is there a different type of unholdable stun? I guess I am not so interested in the moves that cause the stun, as much as recognizing what the stun looks like. (or does it just look like any other stun without the ability to hold out of it)

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
They fall backwards. You have time to squeeze in a quick launcher before they hit the floor, though.

EDIT: Usually. Usually have enough time.

Last edited:

phoenix1985gr

there are also limbo stuns (the enemy goes in an akward backpain state lol) such as ayanes 4h+k on (open? or closed state dont remember now) they usually require the character you re using to be in open or close state and they can guarrantee launchers too

UncleBiscuits79

there are also limbo stuns (the enemy goes in an akward backpain state lol) such as ayanes 4h+k on (open? or closed state dont remember now) they usually require the character you re using to be in open or close state and they can guarrantee launchers too

Ok sounds great, but what do you mean by open or closed state (sorry new to DOA in general, so alot of terms escape me).

Chapstick

Some unholdable attacks are really random. Kasumi's H+K is unholdable even though it looks like it should be holdable. A lot of the ninja backflip 7K kicks, if not all, are unholdable. The second K of Kasumi's 4KK is unholdable, the kicks in Ayane's PPPK are unholdable, it seems odd. What bugs me is Leifang's 46P and 3P+K look very similar but only 3P+K can't be held.

UncleBiscuits79

Some unholdable attacks are really random. Kasumi's H+K is unholdable even though it looks like it should be holdable. A lot of the ninja backflip 7K kicks, if not all, are unholdable. The second K of Kasumi's 4KK is unholdable, the kicks in Ayane's PPPK are unholdable, it seems odd. What bugs me is Leifang's 46P and 3P+K look very similar but only 3P+K can't be held.
Yeah, for some of the ninja flip stuff, that does drive me crazy, but it seems like if I try to hold sometimes, it results in more of a 'dodge' than a hold (and the movement is different than a SS). I was playing around in training and it's the same with Hitomi's 236K. If you try to hold that move, you will instead do a quick dodge, and have initiative.

Chapstick, the moves that you mention, do they result in the dodge, or do you just get hit if you try to hold??

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Unholdables are attacks that cause that dodge.

There aren't any attacks that if held will still cause damage to the one holding.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD