Viable?

Rapham0n

Exactly how viable is Tina in DOA5?

It seems that in the DOA series grapplers end up getting the short end of the stick due to the way the system works. Don't get me wrong, I've seen some grappler users who are scary good in this game, but strikers definitely have it easier than grapplers do in the world of DOA. When using grappler characters you pretty much have to condition your opponent to want to block and/or try for counters and then you nail them with your throw game. Unfortunately this is not as easy as it sounds. Especially when your opponent is playing like they're juiced up on energy drinks and they lay on their strike button(s) like there's no tomorrow.

So how viable is Tina really? I know she is faster than the other grapplers, but if I go up against people who use blazing fast characters and like to strike-spam will this ruin my whole day?

Brute

Standard Donor
She's on the lower end of the tier list, but honestly pretty much everyone is viable in DOA5 if you put the effort in.

After all, she gets that 364T on HiC that absolutely devastates anyone who uses mid/high holds or parries.

TRI Mike

I actually think she's extremely underrated. As a grappler, her weak point is of course her speed but fortunately, she's got some very nice crushes, frame traps and surprisingly fast moves to make up for her generally-slow speed. Her throws come out one frame faster than other characters so she can punish shit others can't and her punish throw is the strongest in the game dealing about 10 points more.

She has nice OHs that can guarantee her a ground throw depending on her placement on the stage, her ground slams can give her free ground throws too and can be used to whiff punish and poke, which is very nice. She's also very safe, I can say for sure she's one of the safest in the game. There are a lot of launchers and the required speed for her air throw is minimal, but if you play the stun game and get max height, she has an even stronger air throw that can slam opponents to walls.

Her damage is excellent. She can deal a shit ton of damage with few things. A Hi-counter throw from Tina hurts a LOT. They're stronger than Izuna Otoshi, Oboro, Raijin, etc. Punishing hold animations with her is one of the most satisfactory things in the game. Her wall game is decent with many moves that can quickly make opponents fly to walls for her to follow-up with nasty shit like 66PPK that can also be used in ground bounces like the generator in Scramble, the clown thingie in the Circus or the RPG dangerzone in Hotzone.

It doesn't look like it at first but her unholdables are actually nice which make her Critical Burst set-ups varied and hard to deal with. Besides if you don't hold her, you eat 50% with a full combo, if you hold her, you risk eating a 120 damage J.O.Cyclone. That makes her really scary.

To me, she's a character that sadly doesn't get much attention because she's a grappler but hidden inside that beautiful sexualized body lies a powehouse that must be feared in the right hands. I'd say she's mid-tier but a very scary mid-tier at that.

Rapham0n

I actually think she's extremely underrated. As a grappler, her weak point is of course her speed but fortunately, she's got some very nice crushes, frame traps and surprisingly fast moves to make up for her generally-slow speed. Her throws come out one frame faster than other characters so she can punish shit others can't and her punish throw is the strongest in the game dealing about 10 points more.

She has nice OHs that can guarantee her a ground throw depending on her placement on the stage, her ground slams can give her free ground throws too and can be used to whiff punish and poke, which is very nice. She's also very safe, I can say for sure she's one of the safest in the game. There are a lot of launchers and the required speed for her air throw is minimal, but if you play the stun game and get max height, she has an even stronger air throw that can slam opponents to walls.

Her damage is excellent. She can deal a shit ton of damage with few things. A Hi-counter throw from Tina hurts a LOT. They're stronger than Izuna Otoshi, Oboro, Raijin, etc. Punishing hold animations with her is one of the most satisfactory things in the game. Her wall game is decent with many moves that can quickly make opponents fly to walls for her to follow-up with nasty shit like 66PPK that can also be used in ground bounces like the generator in Scramble, the clown thingie in the Circus or the RPG dangerzone in Hotzone.

It doesn't look like it at first but her unholdables are actually nice which make her Critical Burst set-ups varied and hard to deal with. Besides if you don't hold her, you eat 50% with a full combo, if you hold her, you risk eating a 120 damage J.O.Cyclone. That makes her really scary.

To me, she's a character that sadly doesn't get much attention because she's a grappler but hidden inside that beautiful sexualized body lies a powehouse that must be feared in the right hands. I'd say she's mid-tier but a very scary mid-tier at that.

Thanks. This was very informative.

RubinRoon

I also like her comeback potential. It sometimes feels hard to get a hit in, but if you gain momentum, you can come back with 2 or 3 right guesses.

Brute

Standard Donor
I also like her comeback potential. It sometimes feels hard to get a hit in, but if you gain momentum, you can come back with 2 or 3 right guesses.
Same. I love characters like that. Same with Ryu and Lisa.
Match is never over until it's over.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD