Wake-up Kicks ( Do you hold them or crush them )

If spacing or any form of avoiding wake up kicks Wasn't an option

• I'd just guess and hold them

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • I'd just guess and crush them

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Interesting I'm not sure what I'd do @_@

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters

Omega SYSP

Standard Donor
I was just wonder about you guys opinion on this. When i look at replays and tournaments i keep getting mixed results ! It seems that only high level players crush them but I've seen LOTS of novice people do it as well. A lot of bold people predict them tho'.... Whats the best form of punishment for them ?! If spacing or avoiding wasn't an option which one would you chose ?

AkaShocka

I usually crush them. Its good to use moves that back up and come back in (like Christie's :214::P:) because it beats both mid and low kicks due to it going back. But many people use low crushes against them, like Lisa's :9::K: or Hayate's up kicks. Trying to hold them is a 50/50 game and its really pointless to do especially if you got a shred of life left.

Omega SYSP

Standard Donor
I usually crush them. Its good to use moves that back up and come back in (like Christie's :214::P:) because it beats both mid and low kicks due to it going back. But many people use low crushes against them, like Lisa's :9::K: or Hayate's up kicks. Trying to hold them is a 50/50 game and its really pointless to do especially if you got a shred of life left.

Interesting! I kinda figured crushing was better if you good at maintaining pressure...

AkaShocka

Interesting! I kinda figured crushing was better if you good at maintaining pressure...
Yeah it is really good to crush them. Best option imo. But if you are really afraid that you will get hit, some people back up a bit then come back in, which really isn't bad because no ones feels like playing the 50/50 game.

I know Lisa's :236::P: goes over low kick and if timed correctly can beat out the mid. Christie's :214::P: easily wins due to its pushback and it comes back in. Christie's :8::P::P: is INCREDIBLE against low wake ups, not only does it evades the kick and hits but it gives a good launch that she can get great damage off of. I am sure Hayate can crush low wake ups with his :3::h::+::K:: when timed correctly I think.

Also, characters that can just jump over the foe (Kasumi, Ayane, Sarah, Lisa, Tina) will just jump over the knocked down person and get hits off on the foe's back which is great.

Last edited:

Musourenka

I generally hold, but sometimes I like to be a bit risky and do something like whiff Heichu grab and Heichu P+K their whiffed kick. I don't always get the spacing right, though...

Brute

Standard Donor
Well, in the case of Ryu/Hayate/some others, crushing tends to be safer because you can crush mids and lows with one move, so your guessing is only limited to timing. With holds, you have to guess between the two, ie: one hold will not blanket both.

Patrick Wimmer

Standard Donor
I usually only hold low-wake ups with Brad when I have baited it out with a string that ends with his lying on the ground stance.
I just get back up real fast and do a low hold.
Almost everyone fall for it :)

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
I can only speak about DOA5 (and Ultimate) since it's my first fighting game in general, but it may be the case in other FG's too.

I've seen some U ranks just standing in front of their grounded opponent and doing some kind of fuzzy guard. You probably need a very good reaction to see if the wakeup kick comes mid or low, but they blocked it successful almost every time and followed up with a throw or some attacks.

If standing there and blocking is allocated to "avoid a wakeup kick" for you, please forget what I wrote.

Patrick Wimmer

Standard Donor
The only time you should do a wake up kick is when the opponent is whiffing attacks.
Otherwise, don't even bother. If you suspect they are going to hold mid or low wake up kicks just get up fast and do a mid punch ;)

milechaser

For me it depends on the situation. When I'm using Rig, if I can predict that the opponent is going to use a low wake up kick then I just crush it with 8k from BND stance. If I think they'll mid wake up kick, I'll do my best to hold it with Rig's advanced hold (after retreating slightly) , preferably on hi-counter. Hmm...I guess I'd be slightly more likely to go for the crush though. I know that when I've timed it perfectly I've been able to crush mid kicks too, albeit very rarely.

SilverForte

Depends, a lot of times I'll try to actually block them, if you block the mid you can pressure your advantage, if you block the low you get a free low throw.

JJpalmer

Me personally im not to sure what id do win i have acess to internet to play matches i wana say i generally block and try to get the throw punish with tina or most of the people i fight like doin mid kicks so i just use tinas mid counter and try to break em from it

Nereus

Standard Donor
Neither... i generally try to make them whiff the wakeup kick so i can whiff punish it w/ moves like Jann Lee's :6::H+K: and Jackys :4::H+K:. But every once in awhile ill try stuffing it on wakeup. A bit risky though. Funny enough, i had a forum about stuffing wakeups awhile back in the system discussion i believe. EDIT: Didn't see the text on the poll :confused:.

I'd try to hold the wakeup kick. If im on my last hit until death, i'd try to crush it.

KingGhidorah

Sometimes I'll simply back off, but for the most part I stay right on them. Waiting to block whatever they decide to toss out, then go right back to punishing them.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I don't like the crush guessing game. Because if I guess wrong, I am fucked. If I hold, I can sometimes sneak in a block if I make a wrong guess and catch on to it damn fast. Sometimes those holds equal a juggle or maybe a nice parry, and I believe those are solid rewards to that ground game. When I'm Alpha I'm just praying that they do a mid-wake up.

It's a good question to ask I must say, since one connected wake-up attack can change the face of an entire game.

Soaring Zero

My reaction to wake ups is best described as inconsistent. Sometimes I'll go for a hold if I think I can catch it but most of the time I use Kasumi's 9K to crush lows. If I guess wrong I just take one hit so it's no big deal unless I've got very little life left. In that situation I'll just back off a bit and play it safe.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD