What does it the term Shenanigan mean?

matchakucha

In reference to this game? I hear people saying it about characters and skills. I know the definition, but what does it specifically mean in terms of this game?

Squizzo

shenanigans
'An official declaration made by patrons of an establishment who feel they have been cheated. Once a charge of shenanigans has been accepted by an authority figure, said patrons are free to assault the owners of said establishment with brooms.'

The Enforcer

In reference to this game? I hear people saying it about characters and skills. I know the definition, but what does it specifically mean in terms of this game?

Not certain, but guessing, it has to deal more with frequent attacks that are 'perceived' as gimmicky or one sided. A person calling shenanigans may be reference something that feels broken or at least frustrating. For example: constant use of Ayane's spins, rolls & flips, or frequent use of Leon & Home stage, etc. It could even be something more technical like really exploiting a character's particular frame advantage.

Blash

Being Irish, and the word being Gaeilge (the Irish language) in origin, it means you have been tricked or cheated and by declaring Shenanigans you are calling said person on it.
As far as the game goes, the context would be important. Some one could be cheating, using an exploit, but as long as you recognise it, call Shenanigans and let them answer!

:)

Komatose

Being Irish, and the word being Gaeilge (the Irish language) in origin, it means you have been tricked or cheated and by declaring Shenanigans you are calling said person on it.
As far as the game goes, the context would be important. Some one could be cheating, using an exploit, but as long as you recognise it, call Shenanigans and let them answer!

:)

I wouldn't go as far as people saying "shenanigans" having to do with DOA or any fighting game when it comes to cheating or using an "exploit". You would straight up get called out if you did something like that. I believe shenanigans would just be used to refer to gimmicks, tricks that have yet to be seen that could easily be beaten or gimmicky tactics. If someone was cheating or using an exploit, I would not say "shenanigans" in a joking manner like usual, I would want them DQ'd from the tournament or if it's online, tell them something about themselves and not play with them anymore. Fine line.

matchakucha

Are those necessarily bad things? For example, people say that Nyotengu is a shenanigans character. When I hear/see that I don't really know how to take it. Albeit I use Nyotengu from time to time and yeah some of her skills are kinda gimmicky, but they arent bad.
Hell, she's even been used in tournaments before.

Komatose

Are those necessarily bad things? For example, people say that Nyotengu is a shenanigans character. When I hear/see that I don't really know how to take it. Albeit I use Nyotengu from time to time and yeah some of her skills are kinda gimmicky, but they arent bad.
Hell, she's even been used in tournaments before.

It's not a bad thing. But a lot of people look down on gimmicks. For example: "I got blown up, man. I suck against that character." "Don't worry, as soon as people get used to those gimmicks, they'll be free." Other than that, I don't see how gimmicks can be looked down on.

matchakucha

It means those weird looking eye designs on Naruto...

*runs*

I laughed harder at that than I should have.

It's not a bad thing. But a lot of people look down on gimmicks. For example: "I got blown up, man. I suck against that character." "Don't worry, as soon as people get used to those gimmicks, they'll be free." Other than that, I don't see how gimmicks can be looked down on.

Thanks for clearing that up. But even then shouldn't that be the case for every character? I mean, you gotta learn somehow, right? I dunno. Ill continue to use who I want to use; now it makes it easier for me to understand how the term is viewed in the community now I guess.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD