What's your opinion on a KOF style competition play?

After reading this thread, would there be interest in seeing/playing a character team based comp

• Yes - There is a high chance people will want to watch this, including myself

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - I doubt many people would be interested.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tones

Premium Donor
Match up will play out like so... 3 character team layout per player.

The main idea behind this is to make another style of competition format/play which will allow the game to look and feel more dynamic.

In doing so it will test a player's competitive skill based on basic fundamentals (consistence in play based on spacing, ability to capitalize from whiff/throw punishing and correct situational reads... by that I mean countering, throwing counters, 50/50s and set-ups, and interrupts).

There are a few ways to doing this. Now, in order for 3 characters to be eliminated the equivalent of a best of 5 (first to 3) games have to be played.

As the game currently stands and as I see it there are a few ways to do this. For each style has a short description, and listed points which includes comparative notes.

#1 - Traditional KOF style.

When a character is defeated the next character is up.

Draw backs
  • The rhythm of one's play must be found within the rounds.
  • Going through menus adds a lot time which is not game play (eliminated if Team Battle returns).
  • Game play/rhythm is extremely dynamics than normal.
  • Mistakes are not forgiven much at all.
  • Ideal if Team Battle returns

#2 - 3 strikes and the character is out.

Being consistent with the best of 3 setting, characters have spare 2 lives each.

Draw backs
  • Going through menus adds a little time which is not game play.
  • Chance of a character going through the opponents whole team is reasonably possible

• Game play/rhythm is made moderately more dynamic than normal.
  • Rhythm for characters has more chance to set.
  • Mistakes slightly less forgiving.

#3 - Best of 3+ games per character.
Each character plays a best of in order to survive. Lose a best of X and the character is out

Draw backs
  • Not as dynamic as the format #1 and #2.
  • Chance of a character going through the opponents whole team is highly possible

• Game play/rhythm is possibly moderately more dynamic than normal.
  • Rhythm for characters has a lot more chance to set.
  • Mistakes are pretty forgiving.

I'm much for the idea. Personally KOF has always been very entertaining to play and over the years I've put in at about 5-20 hours of game play in and apart from that, KOF is an extremely successful franchise. I'd say second to SF there has been a lot of gamers who have attempted to get good at the game.

NukNuks

Great idea. This will only work and be interesting to watch if Team Battle returns. I think this would make for some very entertaining match videos. This KOF style of play would work better for DOA than any other 3D fighter out there because of DOA's superb loading times for switching in-between characters after a KO.

I wouldn't like this as the preferred tournament standard but this is a dope idea for offline casuals and online streams.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD